Cadet Officer Hat Insignia

Started by CadetButterz, June 15, 2015, 05:34:27 PM

CadetButterz

I am confused by the CAPM 39-1 instruction for positioning the ultramarine blue insignia on the BDU cap:

"Cadet officer insignia is centered horizontally with the long points on the cadet field grade insignia positioned
vertically, and each subsequent circle of cadet company grade insignia added horizontally."

On the Uniform Poster (http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Uniform_Poster_2010_LR_8_301E604E07198.pdf) it says that hat insignia is placed centered, 1/2 inch above visor.

So am I placing my Second Lieutenant cloth insignia half an inch above the visor or am I centering it vertically and horizontally? Thanks.

BFreemanMA

My understanding is that it is horizontally centered and 1/2 inch above the visor
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

LSThiker

Quote from: CadetButterz on June 15, 2015, 05:34:27 PM
I am confused by the CAPM 39-1 instruction for positioning the ultramarine blue insignia on the BDU cap:

"Cadet officer insignia is centered horizontally with the long points on the cadet field grade insignia positioned
vertically, and each subsequent circle of cadet company grade insignia added horizontally."

On the Uniform Poster (http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Uniform_Poster_2010_LR_8_301E604E07198.pdf) it says that hat insignia is placed centered, 1/2 inch above visor.

So am I placing my Second Lieutenant cloth insignia half an inch above the visor or am I centering it vertically and horizontally? Thanks.

It is centered vertically.  In the previous CAPM 39-1, it was 1/2 in above the visor, which looked terrible.  This CAPM 39-1, removed the 1/2 in and required it to be centered.  The poster is out of date. 

When in doubt, go with the regulation/manual and only use a poster as a guide.

jeders

It should be placed in accordance with Figure A5-10, which to me looks like it should be centered vertically. The only place where the 1/2" position is mentioned is in regards to Chaplain's insignia.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

Do NOT follow the posters.  I revised them, but National hasn't changed what's on the site.  We had a cadet's mother purchase brown shirts, and the cadet showed up thinking he was squared away.  It's true that 1/2" was the previous rule.  NO IDEA why that was approved, but it was silly and it was fixed.

Also use caution in following the graphics.  They show insignia centered in the top panel of the cap.  That's wrong.  It's centered - period. 

Fold the bill (gently) in half to get your centering on the horizontal line.  My uniform tips provide some ideas on how to attach things nicely (like using fabric glue before sewing, and fusable interfacing to provide a backing on the insignia - similar to the interfacing you'll see on the back of shoulder/pocket patches).  If you look at my tips, you will see how clean and flat mine come out, using my techniques: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19974.0