Authorized BDU belts?

Started by ranger0305, May 05, 2015, 07:36:30 PM

ranger0305

Hello everyone i was having a discussion with some fellow cadets recently and we got on the subject BDU belts. According to 39-1 the authorized belts are.....

"5.1.1.6. Belt and Buckle. Dark blue or black, woven cotton web, solid or woven elastic belt
with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle. Black tip may extend up to one inch beyond
the buckle, facing to the wearer's left (men) or facing wearer's right or left (women). A black, one piece
rigger style, nylon, web belt (1 ¾ inch wide) may be worn."

So what exactly is a "Rigger style" belt? And what is the difference from a duty belt? My quick google search turned up a few results but not enough info to determine the differences. I have a 5.11 tactical belt (http://www.galls.com/511-tactical-tdu-belt-with-175-inch-plastic-buckle?cexid=12&casid=5#.VUkbHvlVhBc) that i am wondering if is within regs as a couple of us thought it was. It seems like it would be allowed but none of us were sure so i thought i would ask you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Ranger.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

Abby.L

I would call that a rigger's belt. It's similar to the one's worn on ABU's, which are also rigger's belts just a different color. So I think you could get away with that.

I just never realized that was a change in regs. Guess I've been away longer than I like to admit...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ProdigalJim

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Holding Pattern

Quote from: ProdigalJim on May 05, 2015, 08:01:40 PM
"Semper Vigilantes"??? :o

Oh good, I wasn't the only one concerned about that.

MIKE

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-new-us-military-surplus-riggers-belts-black?a=743173

Happens to be the DSCP issue item.  Have one for ODU wear, works fine for me... but have heard that they tend to slip for some people.

See also:

http://www.specopsbrand.com/better-bdu-belt-924.html

Used to be offered in USAF blue.  No longer available.
Mike Johnston

Airplane girl

Well, since vigilans comes from vigilans, vigilantis in Latin, it's a 3rd declension adjective. And in the third declension, vigilantes is a form of vigilans. It means the same thing as vigilans, but plural. I'm not sure how semper vigilans could be plural, though. Is there more than one vigilant?

LSThiker

Quote from: Levi Lockling on May 05, 2015, 07:58:19 PM
I would call that a rigger's belt. It's similar to the one's worn on ABU's, which are also rigger's belts just a different color. So I think you could get away with that.

I just never realized that was a change in regs. Guess I've been away longer than I like to admit...

No.  The rigger belt was not authorized until this go around in the CAPM 39-1.  It was not allowed previously.  So not too long.

Abby.L

Quote from: LSThiker on May 05, 2015, 08:56:33 PM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on May 05, 2015, 07:58:19 PM

No.  The rigger belt was not authorized until this go around in the CAPM 39-1.  It was not allowed previously.  So not too long.

Yea, that's why I was confused. I probably could've recited the old 39-1 in my sleep, but the new one came out shortly before I left, so I never got around to looking at the finer points, though I did take my flag patch off and put my NBB patch there, admittedly.  ::)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

ranger0305

So my belt would be authorized to wear?
Also i have some great excuses as to why i misspelled "Semper Vigilans" if you want to here them. ;) but mainly its because i was in the middle of trying to remember, when i had to leave quickly and didn't mean to save it.

Embarrassedly,
Ranger.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

SPS

Quote from: Airplane girl on May 05, 2015, 08:33:03 PM
Well, since vigilans comes from vigilans, vigilantis in Latin, it's a 3rd declension adjective. And in the third declension, vigilantes is a form of vigilans. It means the same thing as vigilans, but plural. I'm not sure how semper vigilans could be plural, though. Is there more than one vigilant?

It is not meant to be plural but singular; options are 'semper vigil' or 'semper vigilans', not vigilantes. As you may know, C/TSgt, some CAP members use the motto on their sign offs.

Spam

Quote from: CAPs on May 08, 2015, 09:05:26 PM
Quote from: Airplane girl on May 05, 2015, 08:33:03 PM

It is not meant to be plural but singular; options are 'semper vigil' or 'semper vigilans', not vigilantes. As you may know, C/TSgt, some CAP members use the motto on their sign offs.

Don't sweat the small stuff on spelling fails.  It could always be worse:

http://www.outofregs.com/index.php?page=archives&id=985

V/R,
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

Was that a tattoo? ???  Ouch!

What is worse, a misspelled tattoo of a service motto or name; or a misspelled significant other like a man whose wife's name is Julia getting Julio instead...??!!!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer