Air Force Blues Voucher??

Started by AirAux, March 10, 2015, 07:19:08 PM

AirAux

Today in the e-mails: Announcing the "Curry Blues Voucher"

Beginning 1 June 2015, parents and/or squadrons will provide BDUs to new cadets
when they join, and CAP will provide a $100 voucher towards purchasing the blues
uniform when they earn the Curry. The "Curry Blues Voucher" will be more reliable,
faster, and more convenient than the "old" program.

I am not sure how many squadrons can or do provide BDU's to their cadets.  This is going to create some expectations from some of our parents and we have no way to provide the BDU's.  Thanks, National, great idea without our input.. 

Spam

What were your cadets wearing as C/Basics up to this point? What did they wear for the months (and months...) before their blues came in under the old program? If NHQ/CP were paying for you to have BDUs as well, I'd have loved to be in your shoes, but other than that I don't see grounds for complaint. It isn't really an unfunded mandate to say as the flier does, "Squadron tries to outfit the cadet with uniform items, using local supplies, if able".

The immediate impact I have is to recognize BDUs as the de facto standard cadet uniform, since they're no longer to be provided to C/Bs. The Wing-sponsored museum tour I'm working up will thus have BDUs as the uniform of the day, since I don't want to exclude new cadets, one of my primary customers.

V/R,
Spam

Paul Creed III

The voucher will not cover the complete cost of a new set of Blues either, assuming the costs of the items on Vanguard currently are the same items cadets will receive through the program:

Trousers: $54-$59.40
Shirt or blouse: $47.50
Flight cap: $19.45
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP

Al Sayre

Quote from: AirAux on March 10, 2015, 07:19:08 PM
Today in the e-mails: Announcing the "Curry Blues Voucher"

Beginning 1 June 2015, parents and/or squadrons will provide BDUs to new cadets
when they join, and CAP will provide a $100 voucher towards purchasing the blues
uniform when they earn the Curry. The "Curry Blues Voucher" will be more reliable,
faster, and more convenient than the "old" program.

I am not sure how many squadrons can or do provide BDU's to their cadets.  This is going to create some expectations from some of our parents and we have no way to provide the BDU's.  Thanks, National, great idea without our input..

Haven't seen this email, where did it come from?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Paul Creed III

Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP

NCRblues

I just checked my email, and called around to my friends, nothing in any inbox so...

With that said, who gets the voucher? VFR direct to parents, or through unit chain of hands?

What company is the voucher good for? Limits on items that can ordered? Who can order?

So many questions.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

JeffDG

Panzerbjorn

AirAux, I think you're missing that important "and/or".  While squadrons are welcome to provide BDUs for their new cadets, it'll never be a requirement.  While our squadron does maintain a stock of BDUs to give cadets, 90% of the time, we point to the local surplus stores in the area where they can pick up used Woodland BDUs for as little as $5 per top or bottom.  On top of that, we point them to surplus stores who are CAP-friendly and give discounts to cadets.

I, for one, am excited about a voucher program like this for the cadets to get their Blues.  Though we'll see if the paperwork becomes nightmarish.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

AirAux

Have they changed the requirement to properly wear the Cadet uniform, which is and always has been the Blues for promotion to Curry

vorteks

I don't think I've ever seen a cadet get their Blues in time for their Curry promotion anyway.

Pylon

If they allowed the voucher to be split between Vanguard and AAFES, it would not only do the trick, but the cadet would get a far more complete uniform set.  They'd literally have everything they need to wear a complete blues uniform except for the shoes.

Let's take a look. Here's AAFES pricing:

DLATS Short Sleeve Shirt     Item #: 1457944     $13.77
Service Trousers     Item #: 8266009     $39.95
DLATS AF Enlisted Flight Cap   Item #: 0567404     $10.42
That's $64.14.

Since we've got a lot more wiggle room now in the budget, we can add in to the package:

DLATS Adjustable Belt With Chrome Tip      Item #: 4014619     $2.57
Chromium Plated Belt Buckle   Item #: 6063770     $4.39
DLATS Neck Tie     Item #: 9417494     $5.77

Now we're up to $76.87, which leaves $23.13 for insignia at Vanguard. Which would get them:

1 pair Cadet Airman Chevrons     SKU: CAP0646L     $6.65
Blue Cadet Nameplate     SKU: CAP0599M     $3.50
Curry Ribbon     SKU: CAP0609     $1.30
CAP Tie Tack or Tie Bar     SKU: CAP0918(D)     $5.40
Cadet Enlisted Flight Cap Device     SKU: CAP0748A     $6.50

Which comes to a fully complete uniform (minus the shoes) for a cadet at a price of $100.22.

I realize Vanguard is not able to sell military-issue items, but CAP members are authorized shoppers (by phone) of AAFES. So why can't we (CAP, the organization) do the leg work to get this voucher system to work for both AAFES and Vanguard, with one "CAP Cadet Starter Package" item at each place?   The leg work on the back-end would result in cadets getting FAR more to start with (a nearly complete uniform versus just the main pieces) and dollar-for-dollar the tax-payer would be getting far more for their investment in each cadet as well.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Al Sayre

It's posted on http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/curry-blues-vouchers/
Apparently Vanguard will have some kind of pre-loaded shopping basket...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Quote from: AirAux on March 10, 2015, 08:06:28 PM
Have they changed the requirement to properly wear the Cadet uniform, which is and always has been the Blues for promotion to Curry
In talking Ned.....that was the impression I was getting.  Having said that...."properly wear the cadet uniform" could mean BDUs just as much as it means blues.

What is happening here is......instead of CAP-USAF managing the CFUP.....USAF is just giving us the money to manage.   So we will not be tied up in any shortfalls over on the USAF side....which is the primary reason why the CFU take so long or get delayed.   

Usually as standard operating procedures....all USAF monies get froze around 1 September so the USAF can do their books.   Then once the fiscal year starts.....often discretionary funds are not released for up to two months.

Add the fact that we have not had a real Defense Budget in a long, long, long time.....the FCU gets a large back order the last quarter of the calendar year.   And with cadets that's not acceptable.

Also....the USAF has always been worried about issuing uniforms to new members WHO NEVER MAKE Curry.   Statistics show that those who do make Curry are more likely to renew.....so by moving the FCU to after Curry makes more sense from an ROI point of view.

From my point of view as a squadron CP guy.......we just keep the cadet in their "Tango" uniforms (Khaki pants and a white shirt (not a T-shirt) a little longer.   We have already gotten wing permission to allow this uniform for almost all wing activities (including O-rides) so there is no operational issues that I can see.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Operationally, it makes sense, but it doesn't. Outside meetings, cadets without their first stripe have little they can do. IMO, a good number of things a cadet can do is limited to meetings, possibly recruiting events, o-flights and maybe some feel-good public service activities. Unless they have GES they can't do too much on a SAREX. The time before their Curry is supposed to be spent cadetting, learning the ropes, and trying to get all their Is crossed and Ts dotted. And getting their uniform ready for use.

By waiting until they complete their first achievement, by giving them a tangible, it should motivate the heck out of them to get their very own, NIB mint condition blues uniform. Airmen have to wait 8 or so weeks to wear theirs after Basic, so why bust the budget on uniforms on the old plan for people who leave after a month?

On the other hand, kids these days have a very short attention span and a high need of instant gratification. Make them wait for something and they either fish or cut bait. Or run. We'll see how this shakes out in the long term. A cadet who zooms through the Curry in 8 weeks and gets their blues vs. cadet Bag O'Donuts who slouches his way through in 6 months and wonders why he's in CAP in the first place and envying those who are more motivated than he....I guess it will still save some bucks over time.

Sorry, I think Air Force One just flew over.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spam

No, it was one of the support C-17s loaded with the limos, hangers on, etc. I'm sitting at Wing HQ, snoring paying rapt attention at a safety briefing and the jets are keeping some of us awake.

V/R,
Spam

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spam on March 11, 2015, 12:14:42 AM
No, it was one of the support C-17s loaded with the limos, hangers on, etc. I'm sitting at Wing HQ, snoring paying rapt attention at a safety briefing and the jets are keeping some of us awake.

V/R,
Spam

My condolences.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

foo

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 10, 2015, 08:26:13 PM
It's posted on http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/curry-blues-vouchers/
Apparently Vanguard will have some kind of pre-loaded shopping basket...

Process.
4.Cadet earns the "Curry," per the normal procedures.
5.Vanguard automatically notifies cadets of their eligibility via email, upon earning their Curry. The email includes a web link and a voucher code.

Interesting... I wonder if this automatically creates a Vanguard account for the new member, and I also wonder what other kind of unsolicited e-mail they may get as a result of this arrangement.

NC Hokie

Quote from: neummy on March 11, 2015, 12:45:37 AM
Interesting... I wonder if this automatically creates a Vanguard account for the new member, and I also wonder what other kind of unsolicited e-mail they may get as a result of this arrangement.

"Your squadron commander is sure to love the droopy wings baseball cap. Order early to make sure it arrives in time for CAP Day!"
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

LSThiker

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on March 10, 2015, 08:02:02 PM
While squadrons are welcome to provide BDUs for their new cadets, it'll never be a requirement.

You do realize that it is somewhat a requirement.  Commanders may only require optional uniforms (i.e. BDUs) if a cadet is willing to purchase them or if provided by the unit:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary (such as requiring a specific uniform for participation in a National Cadet Special Activity) or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet

Quote from: SpamThe immediate impact I have is to recognize BDUs as the de facto standard cadet uniform, since they're no longer to be provided to C/Bs. The Wing-sponsored museum tour I'm working up will thus have BDUs as the uniform of the day, since I don't want to exclude new cadets, one of my primary customers.

And if they do not have BDUs as well?  You could simply state that C/AB that do not have a uniform are to wear slacks and a dress shirt.  I have never been a fan of having cadets tour a museum or certain public areas in BDUs.  Of course this is with exception if BDUs are more appropriate due to the activity or demonstration.  Or, if that tour occurs on a military base.  Then again, that is personal opinion. 

wuzafuzz

Since:

• CAPR 39-1 1.2.1 prohibits commanders from requiring optional option uniforms unless they are provided at no cost to the cadet.
  • CAPR 52-16 requires that cadets possess a CAP uniform and wear it properly to be eligible for advancement.
  • CAPR 39-1 1.2.1 requires members to obtain and maintain for wear either the minimum USAF-style uniform or the minimum corporate style uniform.

We are left with the options of:

• Spending unit funds to outfit cadets in optional uniforms such as BDU's.
  • Requiring cadets to purchase the minimum required uniform on their own dime, then buy most of another one when they earn their Curry voucher.
  • Breaking rules about requiring members to purchase optional uniform items or demonstrating proper uniform wear to earn promotion.

Perhaps I missed an option.  I hope so.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."