ES qualification

Started by ranger0305, February 17, 2015, 09:11:54 PM

Capt Thompson

For GTM3 you need to present your 24 hour gear. It needs to be complete, and secure when worn. You need knowledge of the items in the 72 hour kit, but only need the day gear for the qual. Unless you're completely sure ES is your thing, you can use a school backpack for the day pack and get most of the gear cheap at a local department store. GTM2 and 1 require a 72 hour pack.

GTM3 has to be able to be in the field for 24 hours. GTM2=48 hours. GTM1=72 hours. GTL can lead a team.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

ranger0305

Thanks i have an enhanced load bearing vest that i am going to use i only need a few more things to complete it (poncho, compass, reflective vest,etc.). Do you have any suggestions on a type of compass? I've never done any kind of land navigation i always planned on trying it (plan to join military later thought it would be useful). Since its one of the requirements i plan to get some books that tell me about it but don't know the 1st thing about compasses.

Thanks
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

Eclipse

Quote from: ranger0305 on February 19, 2015, 04:13:37 PM
Do you have any suggestions on a type of compass?

An inexpensive map compass and an inexpensive lensatic will fit the bill - upgrade later as the need arises.
(There are also several threads here on compass')

Mapping

Lensatic

There are also hybrids that fit the bill

For clarification, there is really no correlation between the gear and the number of hours of expectation
of being in the field, especially any correlation between GTM2 and "48". These are just graduations
of a previous version of the GTM tasks, split-up with the stated intention of making it easier to
earn the initial badge for retention, especially cadets. 

You should also take a look at the UDF qualification, many of the tasks cross-populate.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: ranger0305 on February 19, 2015, 04:13:37 PM
Do you have any suggestions on a type of compass?

I use the Explorer 203 by Silva.  It weights 0.90 ounces, which is far lighter than the standard military compass.  When purchasing gear, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:  Price, weight, durability.  You want the lightest possible weight at the cheapest price at the highest durability.  Even though you may say that between this compass and that compass is 2 ounces, if you keep doing that for all of your gear, those 2 ounces add up.  So you can shave pounds off the gear buy paying a little attention to the weight of your gear.  Of course, you do not want to break the bank.

It all depends on you as far as your budget and your interest in ES/GTM.

ranger0305

Yes, thank you

Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.  :D

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

Luis R. Ramos

Tasks required from a GTM2 are mostly land navigation and map interpretation. These go beyond can I use a compass? which is just what GTM3 requires. There is one task in GTM2 requiring one to know how to set a shelter. GTM1 tasks require you to be able to plan, communicate with other members, and communicate with airplanes without using radios.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

sarmed1

http://www.lesa1.org/
Texas Wing runs a week long ES training school, they offer a basic and an advanced GTM school (http://www.gsarss.com/).  Usually over the summer in Big Sandy, TX.

The course gets you all of the training and all of the testing and sorties for GTM3 (for the basic year); advanced will complete thru GTM1/GTL.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

ranger0305

Quote from: sarmed1 on February 20, 2015, 01:56:52 PM
http://www.lesa1.org/
Texas Wing runs a week long ES training school, they offer a basic and an advanced GTM school (http://www.gsarss.com/).  Usually over the summer in Big Sandy, TX.

The course gets you all of the training and all of the testing and sorties for GTM3 (for the basic year); advanced will complete thru GTM1/GTL.

MK

Thanks you wouldn't happen to know how much it cost would you? I looked but couldn't find any pricing may just have to e-mail them. One of the requirements is to of completed an encampment so ill have to wait until sometime after June or July when my first encampment is.
Thank You.

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

Spaceman3750

If you can make the drive, NESA doesn't strictly require encampment (it is preferred). NESA.cap.gov