Public Affairs Board

Started by Reader5567, January 19, 2015, 02:13:31 AM

Reader5567

I have my board to decide if I will be public affairs officer at the 2015 VAWG encampment. Any advice on what to do and what kind questions to expect?
C/CMSgt Thadeus Smith, First Sergeant, Peninsula Composite Squadron.

arajca

Reader5567

Quote from: arajca on January 19, 2015, 02:11:32 PM
Why do want the position?
I want it for a couple reasons:

Add onto my CAP resume
It sounds like a fun position
Gain photography skills and exercise writing skills

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Bring examples of your writing and photography skills.

Reader5567

Reader5567

Quote from: PA Guy on January 19, 2015, 03:33:53 PM
Bring examples of your writing and photography skills.

OK, should I also bring my GoPro? The encampment I went to used gopros for filming volleyball and some of the events.

Eclipse

To the interview?

No.

To the actitivty? Only if directed to do so.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Reader5567 on January 19, 2015, 03:05:44 PM

Add onto my CAP resume
The was the kind of question to expect. Also, expect to be asked what you bring to the position.

As for bringing a GoPro, if you get the position, ask your PAO (senior type) about that.

Reader5567

Quote from: arajca on January 19, 2015, 03:47:11 PM
Quote from: Reader5567 on January 19, 2015, 03:05:44 PM

Add onto my CAP resume
The was the kind of question to expect. Also, expect to be asked what you bring to the position.

As for bringing a GoPro, if you get the position, ask your PAO (senior type) about that.

OK, thanks. It's at the end of the month, so I'll let you all know how it went.

LTCinSWR

Having sat on promotion and activity selection boards for CAP and having had interview/hire/fire positions and as a current member of an academic Departmental Search Committee in my paid profession, here are some suggestions:

Treat this as a job interview and take it seriously; it's good practice for the future. Prepare and demonstrate your organizational abilities. Know the position description and read up on 190-1 and be able to ask insightful questions. Demonstrate your maturity and desire, as well as your skills.

Because this is a position that requires demonstrated creativity, create a hard copy portfolio to share with the board, demonstrating your skills and interest in the job. Presentation is important; not just a bunch of press releases and 8x10/5x7 pictures in a manila folder - take the time to create a sample of 3-4 pieces of your best work (both writing and photography). Use a small (1/2 inch is sufficient), inexpensive binder and remember to put your CAP resume in the front pocket. If any of your press releases have been published, or you are quoted in an article, all the better; include a copy of the newspaper article or a screen grab picture of the interview to establish your credibility (at least be able to give the information as to the station, reporter, date and time of airing). Leave the portfolio with them as a reminder while they deliberate. That portfolio laying there as they discuss the candidates after you leave will create a lasting impression. It will put you ahead of other, less prepared candidates.

When they get to the inevitable 'Do you have any questions about the position?', then bring up questions about the parameters, whether you can use the go-pro, etc. That question is designed to gain some insight into your desire for the position, the ability to process new information and synthesize the position to your abilities. If they haven't asked about your abilities and skills, or they haven't asked to see a portfolio by this time in the interview, this would be the place to ask 'Would you care to see a portfolio of my work?'.

Finally, I have never seen a rack, thumb-screws or hot pokers in any of the interviews I have been part of. Go into it relaxed and positive! Use this as a learning experience. Good luck!

Stay safe!
Larry
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

Reader5567

Thanks a lot. I will defininitly put together a portfolio.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: Reader5567 on January 19, 2015, 10:44:57 PM
Thanks a lot. I will defininitly put together a portfolio.

Good, and when you get the position, you will have opportunities to add/revise the portfolio for the future!

Stay Safe!
Larry
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters