AFA Outstanding Cadet of the Year

Started by Aviate88, January 10, 2015, 03:56:29 AM

Aviate88

Does anyone on here use some sort of scoring sheet for cadets in consideration of the AFA Outstanding Cadet of the Year award? If so, would you mind posting on here?

This is the third year we have used the "Cadet of the Month Program" and just kept track of 12 months. It seemed a better way than making the award based on a gut feeling that cadet BZ Curry was doing well, or because a cadet was about to age out or go off to school. Some of the parents seem as interested in the scoring as the cadets. We also award $500 to be used only at a NCSA for the winner.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CADET_OF_THE_MONTH_PROGRAM_DB7614BDD6704.pdf

Eclipse

Quote from: 00 on January 10, 2015, 04:32:16 AMWe also award $500 to be used only at a NCSA for the winner.

It's nice that you can give the money, but why only an NCSA?  Most encampments are more
relevent to the program as a whole then NCSAs.

"That Others May Zoom"

We have not had any problems getting cadets to go to encampments, most of our cadets go in their first year. Encampment costs have been under $200, but some, if not most, NCSAs are $350 to $450 with the flight academies over $1000. We almost restricted it to national ES training, but parent wanted it to apply to other things. Doing NCSAs only let us keep a CAP activity focus and get cadets to do things outside our wing.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2015, 04:41:09 AM
Quote from: 00 on January 10, 2015, 04:32:16 AMWe also award $500 to be used only at a NCSA for the winner.

It's nice that you can give the money, but why only an NCSA?  Most encampments are more
relevent to the program as a whole then NCSAs

I cannot stress how much I disagree with this statement. I view encampments as a "basic training" type of deal, you go and learn all the basic skills needed to function in CAP, get a ribbon and a tshirt, and move on to more advanced and important things.  To me, if a squadron is doing their job and running a good program, encampment is a waste of time.

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 11, 2015, 08:49:31 PM
I cannot stress how much I disagree with this statement. I view encampments as a "basic training" type of deal, you go and learn all the basic skills needed to function in CAP, get a ribbon and a tshirt, and move on to more advanced and important things.  To me, if a squadron is doing their job and running a good program, encampment is a waste of time.

Well then perhaps you should review the goals and mission of the encampment program, as it has never been
considered "basic cadet training" in any fashion as cadets are required to have their Curry before they
are eligible.  The fact that many members view it that way has been an ongoing problem of communication and understanding.

As I have said many times, encampments are roughly the equivalent of SARExs for the cadet program,
they are an opportunity to experience CAP as the curriculum purports CAP is supposed to look all the time,
and at a much larger scope, to grow and extend skills cadets are already supposed to have from their
home squadrons, and correct a wide range of issues which can then be brought back and assist the home units.

By the letter of the curriculum they are a core component of the CP as a whole, and the fact that many commanders
do not stress their importance, as well as ongoing, multi-year participation, is a significant problem within the program.

NCSAs, depending on which ones we're talking about, have value in and of themselves, but few are specifically
geared towards being an integral part of a cadet's experience.

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 11, 2015, 08:49:31 PMTo me, if a squadron is doing their job and running a good program, encampment is a waste of time.

Rare is the squadron these days that has the number of cadets required to execute the CP in a proper manner and
which can offer cadets the leadership opportunities that an encampment can.  If your unit has 50-100 rank and file
cadets, another 30 cadet officers and advanced NCOs, and 25+ senior members (focused on the CP), well good on 'ye,
otherwise, you're not even in the same ballpark in regards to scope.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 11, 2015, 08:49:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2015, 04:41:09 AM

relevent to the program as a whole then NCSAs

Wow...just wow.

C/Cool

[/quote]

Really??? From my experiences at encampments it is all about teamwork, motivation, and learning. No matter how good a squadron is running everyone can learn something from encampment if they are willing to. I have attended three encampments and have learned a lot from all three, and not just about CAP related events. My current job I got through a senior member who saw me working and saw how much I liked doing what I was doing. Encampment is not a waste of time, Ever.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Garibaldi

Quote from: C/Cool on January 11, 2015, 10:58:26 PM

Really??? From my experiences at encampments it is all about teamwork, motivation, and learning. No matter how good a squadron is running everyone can learn something from encampment if they are willing to. I have attended three encampments and have learned a lot from all three, and not just about CAP related events. My current job I got through a senior member who saw me working and saw how much I liked doing what I was doing. Encampment is not a waste of time, Ever.
[/quote]

I don't think they are saying that. obviously we have way more encampment experience, both participating and running one. It's a basic-training CAP environment, learning how to operate as a cadet in a large-scale environment, fostering teamwork, leadership, followership, and a host of other experiences you don't get at a once-a-week meeting.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Not to mention the bonding and exposure everyone gets, cadet and senior. Being an easy 15-20 years junior of most SMs I know, the ones I've worked with at encampment are typically cream of the crop, and are the ones I can easily call my best CAP friends (and mentors).

BHartman007

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BHartman007

Quote from: Eclipse on January 12, 2015, 03:14:50 PM
Always could - nothing new.

Nice. I was under the impression for some reason that those were fairly restricted.

arajca

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 12, 2015, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: 00 on January 10, 2015, 04:32:16 AM

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CADET_OF_THE_MONTH_PROGRAM_DB7614BDD6704.pdf

"Award the cadet a distinctive shoulder cord to be worn during the month."

You can do that?
We do a Cadet of the Quarter program using the same basic scoring criteria. The COQ wears a burgundy shoulder cord for the following quarter. It does inspire many cadets, especially after they've lost it. They take great pride in earning it and have almost universally had a long face when they have to pass it on.

Storm Chaser

You can do that?

Only if authorized by the wing commander (ref. CAPM 39-1, Para. 9.4 and 9.4.1).

Papabird

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 12, 2015, 04:10:48 PM

You can do that?

Only if authorized by the wing commander (ref. CAPM 39-1, Para. 9.4 and 9.4.1).

Illinois has authorized a Cadet of the Quarter with a Black and Gold cord.   ::)  http://www.ilcap.org/images/documents/ILWG%20Supplement%20to%20CAPM%2039-1%20June%2019%202014.pdf

Cadets recognized as "Cadet of the Quarter" are authorized to wear the black and gold shoulder cord
through the end of the quarter following the quarter that they were recognized. For example: Cadet of
the quarter for the first quarter (Jan-Mar) is authorized to wear the shoulder cord through the following
quarter (second quarter or Apr-Jun 2014). Cadets are only authorized to wear the black and gold
shoulder cord with-in Illinois Wing. Cadets will not wear the shoulder cord while attending or
participating in encampments.
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

BHartman007

Texas wing doesn't seem to have an authorization for that.

lordmonar

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 12, 2015, 06:57:16 PM
Texas wing doesn't seem to have an authorization for that.
You can write it up for just your squadron....and send it to wing for approval.

It can only be authorized by the wing commander.....but it does not have to be wing wide.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP