New ribbon ideas?

Started by usafcap1, November 19, 2014, 08:57:46 PM

MSG Mac

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 05, 2014, 10:33:12 PM
Quote from: AirDX on November 28, 2014, 06:07:51 PM
Quote from: MisterCD on November 22, 2014, 02:16:28 AM
One could SHOULD also put forth a request for those DOD civilian employees to be eligible to wear military unit citations, campaign ribbons, etc. earned in a civilian capacity. At present these are not authorized for wear with CAP ribbons.

I'll second that.  I'd like to wear my MUA and AFOUA.

When I was with USCENTCOM, all the civilians were given the JMUA credit and allowed to wear the lapel device.

Until just now, it never dawned on me that civilians would/could earn unit awards. I knew they could earn the DOD and agency civilian awards, but never thought about when the unit they worked for earned a unit award. Learn something new everyday!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Luis R. Ramos

Sir-What was the point of having your post of the same message three times?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 06, 2014, 03:37:45 AM
Sir-What was the point of having your post of the same message three times?

It's called an error. Google it!

Luis R. Ramos

I see, you talk for him now? How do you know it was an error? He may have an ultimate reason, maybe to draw up attention.

Why don't you let him answer for himself?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 06, 2014, 03:58:12 AM
I see, you talk for him now? How do you know it was an error? He may have an ultimate reason, maybe to draw up attention.

Why don't you let him answer for himself?

If you've been on this site for more a couple of days you've probably seen double posts and the occasional triple posts.
Seems to be a quirk in the system.

But since I'm the one to point this out to you you'll probably won't believe it.

It is what it is. ::)

MSG Mac

Tried to correct an error by modifying my entry. Just didn't change.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 06, 2014, 05:00:49 AM
Tried to correct an error by modifying my entry. Just didn't change.

That's the quirk in the system. ::)

JC004

LTCinSWR

This could really be called a consolidation suggestion for senior awards. IMHO the number of ribbons we have are excessive. Some are redundant, when you consider some of the metallic badges. So, here are my suggestions, in descending order.

Awards and Decorations:
Leave the SMV, BMV, DSA, ESA, MSA, CC, Achievement, Lifesaving Award, NCUC and UC alone. These represent out of the ordinary efforts and should be recognized.

Senior Training Ribbon
Wilson, Garber, Loening, Leadership, Membership - Create a single Senior training ribbon (Use the Garber Ribbon - it's the only one you can't get upside down), with attachments for level of completion '5' Wilson, etc.

Aerospace Education Ribbon (Current AEPSM/Yeager Ribbon)
AEPSM / Yeager, Crossfield - Consolidate to a single ribbon and implement a 5 step training process, similar to the Senior Training Levels, with numerical attachments

Find Ribbon - Leave it alone - this represents what we seek to accomplish in Emergency Services

Operations Ribbon (Current SAR Ribbon)
Consolidate the SAR, Disaster Relief, Counter Drug and Homeland Security Ribbons;  award a single ribbon, based on combined sorties.

Prior cadet service: Senior-most cadet ribbon.

Cadet Program Support Ribbon (Current IACE Ribbon)
Consolidate the IACE, NSAR, CAC, NCC/ NCGC, Encampment, Cadet Orientation Pilot and Community Services Ribbons. Cadets turning Senior would consolidate their ribbons with attachments.

Eliminate the Command Service Ribbon - duplicated by the UCB and National Badges

Red Service Ribbon - rename it the 'Longevity Ribbon' and retain with current criteria.

Retain the Wartime Service Ribbon, but call it the Military Service Ribbon. Use a gold star attachment to represent service during the time specified for the Congressional Gold Medal. Otherwise, it could be worn by members who have received an honorable discharge from an armed service.

Recruiting Ribbon - Retain, but increase the number of verifiable recruited members to 10.

So that takes the Senior Ribbons down from 34 possible ribbons to 18 (19, with prior cadet program achievements)

I know someone's ox will be gored, but I would appreciate your comments.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

Alaric

Quote from: LTCinSWR on January 18, 2015, 06:47:25 AM
This could really be called a consolidation suggestion for senior awards. IMHO the number of ribbons we have are excessive. Some are redundant, when you consider some of the metallic badges. So, here are my suggestions, in descending order.

Awards and Decorations:
Leave the SMV, BMV, DSA, ESA, MSA, CC, Achievement, Lifesaving Award, NCUC and UC alone. These represent out of the ordinary efforts and should be recognized.

Senior Training Ribbon
Wilson, Garber, Loening, Leadership, Membership - Create a single Senior training ribbon (Use the Garber Ribbon - it's the only one you can't get upside down), with attachments for level of completion '5' Wilson, etc.

AEPSM / Yeager, Crossfield - Consolidate to a single ribbon and implement a 5 step training process, similar to the Senior Training Levels, with numerical attachments

Find Ribbon - Leave it alone - this represents what we seek to accomplish in Emergency Services

Consolidate the SAR, Disaster Relief, Counter Drug and Homeland Security Ribbons;  award a single ribbon, based on combined sorties.

Prior cadet service: Senior-most cadet ribbon.

Consolidate the IACE, NSAR, CAC, NCC/ NCGC, Encampment, Cadet Orientation Pilot and Community Services Ribbons. Cadets turning Senior would consolidate their ribbons with attachments.

Eliminate the Command Service Ribbon - duplicated by the UCB and National Badges

Red Service Ribbon - rename it the 'Longevity Ribbon' and retain with current criteria.

Retain the Wartime Service Ribbon, but call it the Military Service Ribbon. Use a gold star attachment to represent service during the time specified for the Congressional Gold Medal. Otherwise, it could be worn by members who have received an honorable discharge from an armed service.

Recruiting Ribbon - Retain, but increase the number of verifiable recruited members to 10.

So that takes the Senior Ribbons down from 34 possible ribbons to 18 (19, with prior cadet program achievements)

I like most of your suggestions but I would leave the operations ribbons alone as they are different missions, people who do CD don't necessarily do HS, having different ribbons allows for showing breadth of operational service.

I would move the Community Service Ribbon out from this as Community Service doesn't necessarily have anything to do the Cadet Programs (for instance mine were received for work with the Red Cross Disaster Services and the Community Watch program

arajca

My notes in red:

Awards and Decorations:

No complaints here.

Senior Training Ribbon

Keep Wilson, combine rest.

Kill the Crossfield – it's a triple dip (Master AE gets Crossfield, Master badge, AND silver star on Leadership). No other track has a special ribbon for Master level. I'd add a star for seniors completing all the requirements for the cadet model rocketry badge.

No complaints

I could live with it.

Prior cadet service: Senior-most cadet achievement/milestone ribbon.

No complaints

Need to think about this one.

Agreed.

Agreed

OK, but move it up above the training ribbons.

Disagree. Consolidate Cadet Recruiting and Senior Recruiting ribbons. Change criteria to 2 for first award, 3 more for second, and 5 for each afterward.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: Alaric on January 18, 2015, 02:19:32 PMI like most of your suggestions but I would leave the operations ribbons alone as they are different missions, people who do CD don't necessarily do HS, having different ribbons allows for showing breadth of operational service.

I would move the Community Service Ribbon out from this as Community Service doesn't necessarily have anything to do the Cadet Programs (for instance mine were received for work with the Red Cross Disaster Services and the Community Watch program

That increases the number back to 23. My logic was that the Operations, Cadet Support and AE ribbons would represent the service or training supporting each of CAP's three core missions. Some of the different tasks within operations (and the Community Service ribbon) reflect a form of 'mission creep'. Community Service could be recognized through 8 hours = 1 sortie (with 10 sorties / 80 hours) on the Operations Ribbon if ES focused and non-ES focused would be recognized on the Cadet Programs Support Ribbon.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

Alaric

Quote from: LTCinSWR on January 18, 2015, 02:42:14 PM
Quote from: Alaric on January 18, 2015, 02:19:32 PMI like most of your suggestions but I would leave the operations ribbons alone as they are different missions, people who do CD don't necessarily do HS, having different ribbons allows for showing breadth of operational service.

That increases the number back to 23. My logic was that the Operations, Cadet Support and AE ribbons would represent the service or training supporting each of CAP's three core missions. Some of the different tasks within operations (and the Community Service ribbon) reflect a form of 'mission creep'. Community Service could be recognized through 8 hours = 1 sortie (with 10 sorties / 80 hours) on the Operations Ribbon if ES focused and non-ES focused would be recognized on the Cadet Programs Support Ribbon.

I'm okay with that, it still cuts the number by a third

LTCinSWR

Quote from: arajca on January 18, 2015, 02:26:43 PM
My notes in red:

Reply in Green

Senior Training
Keep Wilson, combine rest.

Redesign the ribbon - maybe it's a pet peeve, but how many times have you seen the training ribbons upside down? I'm not saying eliminate the certificates (Loening, Garber and the numbered Wilson), but change the ribbon or use the existing Garber ribbon - that one is 'senior proof'.
Another thought - in addition to the numerical device, recognize PME (ACSC and AWC) with Bronze and Silver stars, respectively.

Kill the Crossfield – it's a triple dip (Master AE gets Crossfield, Master badge, AND silver star on Leadership). No other track has a special ribbon for Master level. I'd add a star for seniors completing all the requirements for the cadet model rocketry badge.

Agreed - good idea on the model rocketry badge.

Wartime Service Ribbon, but call it the Military Service Ribbon.

OK, but move it up above the training ribbons.

Concur!

Recruiting Ribbon -

Disagree. Consolidate Cadet Recruiting and Senior Recruiting ribbons. Change criteria to 2 for first award, 3 more for second, and 5 for each afterward.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear; the intent was for a single ribbon, but I do like the criteria change you suggest. I find it just as hard to recruit seniors as cadets.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

Flying Pig

usafcap1

Okay. . . So some of the ideas that I have come up with, as well as several other member for new ribbons. Please don't beat me to death. THERE JUST IDEAS. (My ideas have *)

Ideas that have been entered. And may be considered.
Marksmanship*
Aerial Achievement*
Air Force Organizational Excellence
Region, Wing, Group citation*
Mission Readiness*
Good Conduct*
Outstanding Member of the Year
Arctic Service
Recognition*
Longevity*

Ideas that have been entered. BUT are still being "flush out"
GWOT
NDSM
Purple Heart
Exceptional Civilian Service
9-11 Service*
Air Force Meritorious Service Award
Air Force Valor
Air Force Outstanding Civilian Career Service
Air Force Command
Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

TheTravelingAirman

USAFCAP1, can I get a bit of an explanation as to why (and in what form) some of these are on here?
Marksmanship?
Mission Readiness?
Good Conduct?
NDSM?
GWOT?
Not the AF/DoD ones, surely?

I am just curious as to reasoning, not here for a shouting match.

I do agree on the AF Civilian awards but it needs to be remembered, we aren't the AF Auxiliary all the time. We shouldn't be eligible for them unless in Aux status.

EDIT: AFI 36-1004 is the AFI on civilian awards. I feel it covers a good deal of what you discussed.

Nuke52

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on January 18, 2015, 07:35:03 PM
USAFCAP1, can I get a bit of an explanation as to why (and in what form) some of these are on here?
Marksmanship?
Mission Readiness?
Good Conduct?
NDSM?
GWOT?

I believe he is referring to the AF/DoD ones.  And don't call me Shirley!   :P
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

usafcap1

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on January 18, 2015, 07:35:03 PM
Marksmanship?
Mission Readiness?
Good Conduct?
NDSM?
GWOT?

I am just curious as to reasoning, not here for a shouting match.

I do agree on the AF Civilian awards but it needs to be remembered, we aren't the AF Auxiliary all the time. We shouldn't be eligible for them unless in Aux status.

EDIT: AFI 36-1004 is the AFI on civilian awards. I feel it covers a good deal of what you discussed.

Thank you I view AFI 36-1004 as soon as I can.

Marksmanship "BME Ribbon": Its purpose would be to "do away" with the NRA dangley medal deal, that cadets wear on their blues. But possibly open the doors to allow Senior's to partake in BME.

Mission Readiness: In this day and age we should always be ready Auxiliary or not. And plus this applies to all missions.

Good Conduct: The AF has the Good Conduct ribbon. It would make sense that their "Auxiliary" would have it to. I won't lie I have heard that the AF was going to do away with it, but I yet to see that.

GWOT and NDSM: These were ideas that have been submitted to me. BUT are still being "FLUSHED OUT".  Meaning that if I can't come to a good enough reason for us to have it, than I'm most likely not going to submit it for consideration. (Hence why they fall under the "Ideas that have been entered. BUT are still being "flush out" category  >:D )

Are there any other ribbons that I have post that require justification?

My apologies if my answers sound mean. I'm not trying to be.
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

kwe1009

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 18, 2015, 10:25:20 PM

Good Conduct: The AF has the Good Conduct ribbon. It would make sense that their "Auxiliary" would have it to. I won't lie I have heard that the AF was going to do away with it, but I yet to see that.

The Air Force did do away with the GCM for a number of years but brought it back recently. 

I don't really agree with having this medal as it is an award for not getting in TOO much trouble.  I don't think this medal motivates anyone to stay out of trouble.  I don't see the need for it in CAP either.  I don't believe you should get a medal for not screwing up.  You should get medals for doing something exceptional.