Personnel Records

Started by Joe, October 02, 2014, 06:59:45 PM

Joe

Any long timer members out their that has resolved this problem? Have been a member since 1998 having moved from cadet to senior. Transfer among several Wings.  Years ago achievements were recorded on a master personnel file fold that included copies of request forms, approval letters, etc.  It was all paper.  CAP went electronic and paper records were never transferred to electronic.  I've lost over 15 years of senior records and all cadet files.  I do have certificates and some hard copy personnel records. I've been instructed to remove earned specialty badges, ribbons, etc.  because those are not documented in National personnel records. Don't like being told to remove find ribbons, observer wings, several master ratings, etc. I do have paper documentation. However, I'm told if it's not in the electronic system it doesn't exist. 

JeffDG

Quote from: Joe on October 02, 2014, 06:59:45 PM
Don't like being told to remove find ribbons, observer wings, several master ratings, etc. I do have paper documentation. However, I'm told if it's not in the electronic system it doesn't exist.

If you have documentation, then it's simply a matter of submitting it along with the request for something like Observer Wings

Eclipse

You've had unbroken service since 1998, or recently rejoined?

Also, anything you earned, you can still wear, even if the rating isn't current, however if you can't
prove it some way, then it's fair game to question it.

If you have documentation, of course it still exists.

A memo to NHQ with scans of the docs will correct most of it quickly.

If you're "being told" by anyone but your CC, they are mistaken, and you need to discuss with him.
If you are being told that by the CC, and have had unbroken service, then this is partially his fault.

Further, if this is unbroken service, the whole thing is weird because that would indicate things were not
document properly as you went along.

"That Others May Zoom"

pierson777

Quote from: Joe on October 02, 2014, 06:59:45 PM
However, I'm told if it's not in the electronic system it doesn't exist.

Not true.  EServices does not track everything.  The paper record is still as good as it ever was.  Keep copies of everything for yourself too.  Not all units do a good job of record keeping, so it's ultimately up to you to keep your own record.  Don't just keep your original request form, rather get a copy of the finalized/approved form.  Someday, somebody may say, "Hey, when did you earn the ______ ribbon/badge?"  It may not be in eServices, but as long as you can prove it paper, you're good. 

Example: A member flew his last CAP flight 25 years ago, and is still in CAP.  He has a CAPF 2a (1983 version) that awarded the CAP Command Pilot Wings.  This was never entered in eServices.  Does it exist?  Yes.  The same can be said about many things prior to eServices like: encampment participation, NCSA participation, GT badges, aeronautical ratings, etc.