Color Guard Appearances

Started by Nearly Dark Side, September 12, 2014, 03:39:33 PM

Nearly Dark Side

I am a C/CC from PA Wing. My squadron has a color guard and I was looking to give them some practical practice. I know that there are not a lot of activities for my squadron in the fall and winter with the exception of our annual squadron banquet. Would I be permitted according to regulation to work out a deal with my school and squadron to have our color guard bring out the colors at my schools football games? Or is there something against it? And does anyone know of any precedence? Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Eclipse

You can make the initial contacts, but one of your Commanders needs to be in contact
with the POCs at whatever activities you'd want to be involved in before the Unit can be committed
to participation.

You should also discuss the idea with your Commander >before< talking with the venues.

For the most part there are no restrictions as to where CAP can present colors.  Political rallys and
for-profit corporations are a gray area and your Commander should consult the Wing CC if there is
any question or concern in that regard.

Your school's football game should be a non-issue and is the type of event that CAP likes to be involved in.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Our squadron often presents the colors at the Padres' games and we have some VFW's who ask us to do it and then give us a cash donation for cadet activities, etc.

Flying Pig

I have found that if your color guard can be available you soon find yourself needs go to choose what activities to attend you'll have so many requests. Just make sure your senior leadership is on board and that you and your color guard aren't just setting up performances on your own.  As far as your scenario, no, nothing about that is against any CAP regs.

lordmonar

+1.

Once you got your team ready to go.....the events will be there.

Think outside the box.....ELKS, Rotary, VFW, Toast Masters, the city council, county....as well as you said high school foot ball, basket ball, baseball games.

Also be on the look out around your area for anyone who is having some sort of fair or parade.

No reason why your unit could not march in the Corn Queen parade, or what ever your local event may be.   Also check around neighboring towns and counties for the same.

Getting events to perform at is not going to be your issue.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP