Main Menu

Award Timeline

Started by Devil Doc, July 29, 2014, 01:05:18 PM

Devil Doc

Hello, I am wondering what an Award timeline would look like. Lets say put somebody in for an award, and what them to have it by a certain event? how long will it take to go through the process.

Ex: SM X is put in for a Comm Comm. Squadron Commander Y needs it approved by the Military Ball.

What is the process and turn around.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

GroundHawg

It can be done with a phone call, text, or email all depending on who you know.

JeffDG

I know here, the Wing folks will put out communication that "In order to get awards for presentation at the Wing Conference, please have them in by xxx"

It also depends on the award.  An Achievement Award only needs approval by the Squadron and Group Commander, so that's a short chain to go through.  A Commander's Commendation needs the Wing Commander too.  Meritorious/Exceptional Service Awards need the Region Commander's sign-off.  The rest have to go to NHQ.

Eclipse

As mentioned, it can be done in real-time if the approver is handy and agreeable, otherwise most wings
have an award committee or board that considers them either on a schedule or as submitted.

Sometimes getting the certificate printed is harder then getting the award approved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

OK, so I am assuming award committees meet every month? Who decides if it needs to be Downgraded? IE Comm Comm to a Acheivment?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

LSThiker

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 29, 2014, 04:33:42 PM
OK, so I am assuming award committees meet every month? Who decides if it needs to be Downgraded? IE Comm Comm to a Acheivment?

That would all be up to your wing's command.

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on July 29, 2014, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on July 29, 2014, 04:33:42 PM

That would all be up to your wing's command.

Or any step along the chain.

And awards boards are mandatory now...

Quote from: CAPR 39-37. CAP Awards Review Board. All commanders (region, wing, group and squadron) will
appoint an awards review board
to aid in the administration of this regulation. The awards review
board will consist of the personnel officer and two other members designated by the unit commander.
The board should meet frequently to assure timely consideration of recommendations received from
members of units. The CAP Awards Review Board will review recommendations and propose
approval or disapproval to the approving authority.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2014, 04:23:15 PM
As mentioned, it can be done in real-time if the approver is handy and agreeable, otherwise most wings
have an award committee or board that considers them either on a schedule or as submitted.

Sometimes getting the certificate printed is harder then getting the award approved.

Legit. I still have not received my Davis. Its been a while now.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: JeffDG on July 29, 2014, 02:10:32 PM
I know here, the Wing folks will put out communication that "In order to get awards for presentation at the Wing Conference, please have them in by xxx"

It also depends on the award.  An Achievement Award only needs approval by the Squadron and Group Commander, so that's a short chain to go through.  A Commander's Commendation needs the Wing Commander too.  Meritorious/Exceptional Service Awards need the Region Commander's sign-off.  The rest have to go to NHQ.

I got a Meritorious in 1984 from the National Commander that I later discovered went from idea to in-person presentation by BG Brookfield in less than 48 hours. Might have set a record. I doubt that it could be done that quickly now.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

lordmonar

I saw some Find and Lifesaving ribbons printed up and awarded before the Ground Team signed out of the mission base.

Helps that the Wing Commander was sitting at Mission Base hovering around the USAF Inspectors.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

The boards are mandatory, but using them isn't, that's the problem.  One more checkbox with no enforcement.

ICENINE, late of this board and sadly of CAP, used to tell the story of National Commanders handing out Comm Comms
at conferences and the like, especially to cadets, with no supporting paperwork - literally reaching in their pocket and handing
you a ribbon, which I suppose technically is within their purview, but of course caused issues years when the issue
of substantiation was raised.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I appreciate the answers, it just seems to me there is not a set "Standard" on the way Awards are given, or "Tracked" by that matter. Hopefully there is changes soon?

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 30, 2014, 01:04:18 PM
I appreciate the answers, it just seems to me there is not a set "Standard" on the way Awards are given, or "Tracked" by that matter. Hopefully there is changes soon?
From what I can tell, at least for "tracking", it seems to be coming.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811