Advanced Model Rocketry Award?

Started by AirForceBlue117, July 06, 2014, 11:55:54 PM

AirForceBlue117

Hey, I know that CAP has a Model Rocketry Badge if Cadets finish three Model Rocketry Stages (Redstone, Titan, and Saturn)...but is there an award if Cadets finish the Advanced Model Rocketry Stages (Columbia and Challenger), I asked the Aerospace Officer but he didn't know. So if you have any answers to this, it would be helpful. Thanks...
Cadet Second Lieutenant (Group 7, Florida Wing)
Color Guard Team Commander
Squadron Safety Officer: SER-FL-464
Army JROTC Cadet (Cadet Lieutenant Colonel)

arajca

AirForceBlue117

Cadet Second Lieutenant (Group 7, Florida Wing)
Color Guard Team Commander
Squadron Safety Officer: SER-FL-464
Army JROTC Cadet (Cadet Lieutenant Colonel)

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BFreemanMA

To my knowledge, the advanced rocketry modules are purely academic. If there were a practical application, like there is for the three phases of the "basic" model rocketry, I think it would be nice to recognize the cadets who put in the extra work and completed.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

AlphaSigOU

If I remember correctly, the Columbia and Challenger levels in the advanced model rocketry program lead into Level 1 NAR high power rocketry certification.

Pipe dream ('cause I know it'll probably never happen) how's about extending the wear of the rocketry badge to senior members and adding a star to the badge for completion of the advanced stages  and a star and wreath for obtaining NAR Level 2 certification? (Level 3 requirements are quite cost prohibitive and difficult to accomplish unless you happen to have lots of real estate to launch and recover one of them big rockets!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 07, 2014, 05:06:34 AM
If I remember correctly, the Columbia and Challenger levels in the advanced model rocketry program lead into Level 1 NAR high power rocketry certification.

Pipe dream ('cause I know it'll probably never happen) how's about extending the wear of the rocketry badge to senior members and adding a star to the badge for completion of the advanced stages  and a star and wreath for obtaining NAR Level 2 certification? (Level 3 requirements are quite cost prohibitive and difficult to accomplish unless you happen to have lots of real estate to launch and recover one of them big rockets!)
That would likely go a long way towards improving the seriously lacking AE program for seniors.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

GroundHawg

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 07, 2014, 05:06:34 AM

While I generally dry heave at the mention of adding more bling, this isn't a horrible idea. Personally, I would still restrict it to cadet only wear, but adding multiple levels would encourage cadets to stay active in the program and adding SM wear would encourage an actual program for Seniors. I know many cadets who have went through the rocketry program just to get the badge and the star on their Goddard. I think a program that included advancement would keep those who like rocketry interested and maybe even pull a few that are badge hunters into loving it.

To keep in line with the USAF (as in keeping with recent trend), I would make it similar to the USAF Missile Operations Badge. Add side wreaths for senior, and a star and wreath for master.

I hope someone runs with this idea and writes up a proposal.

arajca

I had submitted a proposal for a star to be added to the Yeager award ribbon for seniors who complete the Model Rocketry Program, including the tests. Of course this was before the latest additions. I never heard anything about it after it went to the black hole wing.

GroundHawg

Quote from: arajca on July 07, 2014, 01:22:02 PM
I had submitted a proposal for a star to be added to the Yeager award ribbon for seniors who complete the Model Rocketry Program, including the tests. Of course this was before the latest additions. I never heard anything about it after it went to the black hole wing.

I like it! I hope something comes of it.