How to use CAPWATCH and Google Apps together to automate user management?

Started by aviator9417, June 28, 2014, 06:12:18 AM

aviator9417

So I saw a post where an ITO utilized CAPWATCH to automate their google apps users for their squadron.

I was wondering how I would go about doing this or what the other uses for CAPWATCH are.  I have never used it before.

Thanks.
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

Tim Day

CAPWATCH is just the database, exported into comma-separate value files and zipped. To automate Google Apps, you need:

1. Google Apps Script that accesses a database and does something with the information.
2. A database somewhere that Google Apps Script can access like MySQL on a webserver (appropriately secured), or some other "cloud" service.

Your script runs queries on the database and builds user accounts based on that. You need to have - or have on your team someone who has - SQL and Javascript / Google Apps script aptitudes. 
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

JeffDG

Quote from: Tim Day on July 01, 2014, 06:45:08 PM
You need to have - or have on your team someone who has - SQL and Javascript / Google Apps script aptitudes.

I could start a side-business here...maybe have funds sent to TNWG...I don't like personally profiting from 501(c)(3)s!

Tim Day

Quote from: JeffDG on July 01, 2014, 06:48:39 PM
You need to have - or have on your team someone who has - SQL and Javascript / Google Apps script aptitudes.

I could start a side-business here...maybe have funds sent to TNWG...I don't like personally profiting from 501(c)(3)s!

Could be a whole other board on CAPWATCH where we could share scripts.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Tim Day on July 02, 2014, 05:19:32 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on July 01, 2014, 06:48:39 PM

Could be a whole other board on CAPWATCH where we could share scripts.
Well, how about we just make the threads now?  Let the admins realize the need for an IT specific forum and create one  ;)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

celticpiping

I'd like to officially 2nd that call for an IT forum/Category!!
Having like, zero IT mentoring for the first several MONTHS after joining the squadron,
I felt the pain of just kinda sitting around wondering what an ITO does in a small squadron...

The fellowship of geeks could really be an asset for many of us...

2nd Lt NER-ME-077 Composite Squadron
Formerly: AQ2 "Goose Gouette, USN