Proposal to fix Lt.Col Coffebringer "Issue"

Started by Ratatouille, May 31, 2014, 04:33:18 AM

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2014, 07:44:13 PM
He was threatened with termination if I ever caught that again...

Prejudicial to good order and discipline.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

I think we are missing the point here.  Shouldn't cadets be the ones to bring us coffee?   We could make it a staff position and issue a brown shoulder cord. 

a2capt

Panache

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 05, 2014, 03:35:27 AM
I think we are missing the point here.  Shouldn't cadets be the ones to bring us coffee?   We could make it a staff position and issue a brown shoulder cord.

"Java Operations Officer".

AirDX

Quote from: SarDragon on June 03, 2014, 05:33:18 AM

I would hazard a guess that the outsiders most "bothered" by this are people who get paid. We are a volunteer organization. As such, our hierarchy is, in many cases, very fluid. If something needs to be done, someone who knows how, steps up, and does it, regardless of grade or position. This is especially true for those "jobs" that have no official place on the org chart.

A few months ago, I was at a SAREX, and couldn't fly. The comm area was adequately filled, so I ended up being the duty driver, as a major, since I had the best vehicle available (a Suburban) for ferrying folks out on the flight line. No big deal.

I think almost no one is bothered by it outside of CAPTalk.

The last EPIRB hunt I was on, the van driver was a bird colonel (former wing CC), I tagged along as MRO (major, wing director of safety).  The GTL, and thus the individual nominally in charge of the evolution, was a captain (the colonel's son), and the actual work was done by three cadets.  At no point did anyone so much as gaze at us askance, and the earth did not open up and swallow us whole.  Astonishing, I know.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 05, 2014, 03:35:27 AM

Rob, I know you probably forgot the smilie, but as a former cadet, and long-time CP guy, I find that very unfunny. ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

As a former cadet and long time CP guy I find it hilarious! :)

FW

In most units; the "CSO" (Coffee service officer) is a highly coveted position.  When, combined with the "DAO" rating (Donut aquistion officer), you have an individual, regardless of grade, we would find as irreplacable.   ;D

Now, who has my chocolate creamer? LOL! >:D

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: a2capt on June 05, 2014, 04:12:35 AM
The Coffee Cord.. ;)

The orange looks right. Now we need a pink strand or 2 and it's perfect.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: a2capt on June 04, 2014, 03:44:18 PM
I'd be more inclined to believe that the reason the grade insignia is not on the caltrans uniform is because there was no way in heck it was going to get approved otherwise.

Someones cute pet project..

That could well be. But I remember it being sold as "'standard' SAR uniform" with a supposed "State OES" requirement" that rank/grade not be displayed because "it's too confusing."

I asked then and have asked since - Were these "requests" ever officially communicated in writing? Is there an actual OES policy about this? Or is this one or two of those guys with the "I don't have time for that 'Yessir Nossir military stuff" thinking who simply rumored and wished the orange shirt thing into existence?

As I posted earlier, I've never heard of fire or police personnel being asked to remove rank insignia in order to participate in multi-agency emergencies. Also, never heard of there being an actual instance of a CAP major pointing to oak leaves and trying to order a fire captain to do anything. (Same guy who spends his non ES time salute trolling at the BX, perhaps?)

"Someone's cute pet project" is where I'd place my bet, too.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: CAP_truth on June 03, 2014, 10:22:22 PM
Back in the day it was an unwritten rule that the commander was always one grade above each member of the unit. I have seen a Major as intern wing commander. No problem with this except for those who want to find an issue with it.

It was that way in my first unit

The first two commanders were Majors.

One got kicked upstairs to Wing IG and the other left CAP after her daughter graduated.

The Deputy CC got promoted to Major and assumed command.  Not long afterward I got promoted to Captain and became Deputy CC.  We had the best working relationship I have ever had with a commander...almost on a Picard/Riker level.

When I transferred a couple of years later (got married and moved) the commander of my new squadron was also a Captain.  Before I left my CC said "you're up for Major soon...you might end up outranking your CC!"  That didn't happen, but as I've expounded on that elsewhere I'll stop it there.

My new unit was where I found the as-then-unexperienced CAP phenomena:

-Three Lt. Col's who outranked the CC
-The senior squadron "uniform optional and we don't like to fly cadets" mentalities

Promotions were not even on the radar half the time there...just flying the airplane was.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Alaric

Quote from: CyBorg on June 05, 2014, 06:01:05 PM
Quote from: CAP_truth on June 03, 2014, 10:22:22 PM
Back in the day it was an unwritten rule that the commander was always one grade above each member of the unit. I have seen a Major as intern wing commander. No problem with this except for those who want to find an issue with it.

It was that way in my first unit

The first two commanders were Majors.

One got kicked upstairs to Wing IG and the other left CAP after her daughter graduated.

The Deputy CC got promoted to Major and assumed command.  Not long afterward I got promoted to Captain and became Deputy CC.  We had the best working relationship I have ever had with a commander...almost on a Picard/Riker level.

When I transferred a couple of years later (got married and moved) the commander of my new squadron was also a Captain.  Before I left my CC said "you're up for Major soon...you might end up outranking your CC!"  That didn't happen, but as I've expounded on that elsewhere I'll stop it there.

My new unit was where I found the as-then-unexperienced CAP phenomena:

-Three Lt. Col's who outranked the CC
-The senior squadron "uniform optional and we don't like to fly cadets" mentalities

Promotions were not even on the radar half the time there...just flying the airplane was.

Due to moving around the country I have been a member of 7 different squadrons (working on an 8th).  I have never been a member of a single squadron where the squadron commander was the highest ranking member of the squadron. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

I haven't either, since that initial first move.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

This is all moot to me. Nobody in my squadron drinks coffee during the meetings.... ;)

MSG Mac

In my current unit, we have a 1Lt, whose intent in CAP is to make coffee for the meetings, provide meals during CAP activities, and support the MDWG/ANG weekend support functions. We consider him to be one of our most valuable officers. There is nothing he won't do to support the unit and it's missions. I hope we have him as a member for the next 20 years.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Luis R. Ramos

Apparently the gist of some here is there is nothing wrong about that 1st Lt making coffee... but in 20 years when he is a Colonel, then people will still be yelling here What! A Colonel making coffee? Leave that to the Lieutenants!...

::)
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 06, 2014, 12:10:57 PM
Apparently the gist of some here is there is nothing wrong about that 1st Lt making coffee... but in 20 years when he is a Colonel, then people will still be yelling here What! A Colonel making coffee? Leave that to the Lieutenants!...

You should always be training your replacement, right?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

But the Colonel knows how to make GOOD coffee, whereas the Lieutenant... >:D

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on June 06, 2014, 02:50:16 PM

But the Colonel knows how to make GOOD coffee, whereas the Lieutenant... >:D
There are some offices where the Chief would take off the arm of any lieutenant who even thought of touching the coffee machine.

"You run the office sir.....I do the coffee!"
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP