Main Menu

Got my Captain's Bars....

Started by Brit_in_CAP, May 30, 2014, 12:02:38 AM

Brit_in_CAP

Not exactly world-shattering news but it still gave me a moderately warm feeling of accomplishment!

At our last meeting, the Commander announced my promotion and said some very nice things about my work, which is always pleasing to hear!

That's it...you can move on with your lives now... :)

spaatzmom

Congrats!!!!!!!   It is a big deal and should be.  Too bad too many don't feel it is. 

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EmLyn

RogueLeader

Congrats.  You are out of the LPA (Lieutenants Protective Association.)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

>:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Simplex

Well done! Now, on to Level 3 and Major, I think that's Squadron Leader on the other side of the pond.

Panache

Congrats!  Excellent news!

Quote from: CapCapt on May 30, 2014, 02:49:40 AM
Well done! Now, on to Level 3 and Major, I think that's Squadron Leader on the other side of the pond.

Well, unless they make the changes proposed by the advisory board, and make Level 4 a prerequisite for Major.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CapCapt on May 30, 2014, 02:49:40 AM

It is Squadron leader but I always liked the sound of Major, personally!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 30, 2014, 01:33:44 AM

Yeah...funnily enough, that's what my Warrant Officer told me when I made Flight Lieutenant...and he was right!

JoeTomasone

First Lieutenant, second award, eh?   Congrats!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on May 30, 2014, 12:54:10 PM

I always thought that Commonwealth air force ranks were the most logical-sounding.

However, they haven't reflected operational situations since probably the end of the 1950's.

Originally, a Flight Lieutenant (leff-tenant, O-3) commanded a Flight, a Squadron Leader (O-4) a Squadron, a Wing Commander (O-5) a Wing and a Group Captain (O-6) a Group (note: in the Commonwealth system Group is senior to Wing).

Now, at least in flying units, a G/C commands a base, a W/C a flying squadron, and an S/L a flight.

Flight Lieutenants are pretty much everyone else that is fully aircrew trained (with a few Flying Officers here and there).  A Pilot Officer seems almost to be a training rank (in fact, the Indian Air Force no longer uses it).

I still like the ranks, though.

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on May 30, 2014, 12:55:03 PM

Yeah...funnily enough, that's what my Warrant Officer told me when I made Flight Lieutenant...and he was right!

Really?  You were promoted Flight Lieutenant from Flying Officer, correct?  That would have put you into the "LPA" since the RAF has no other rank with "lieutenant" in it.

But I'm not going to be the one to argue with a Warrant, especially not a Station Warrant Officer (note: they're not like our Warrants; they're like super-SNCO's but with more authority, and they're not saluted, though you do address them as "Sir/Ma'am/Mr/Ms/Miss").

The RAF/RAAF/RNZAF only have one level of W/O, though the RCAF has three.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 02:38:53 PM

I always thought that Commonwealth air force ranks were the most logical-sounding.

However, they haven't reflected operational situations since probably the end of the 1950's.

Originally, a Flight Lieutenant (leff-tenant, O-3) commanded a Flight, a Squadron Leader (O-4) a Squadron, a Wing Commander (O-5) a Wing and a Group Captain (O-6) a Group (note: in the Commonwealth system Group is senior to Wing).

Now, at least in flying units, a G/C commands a base, a W/C a flying squadron, and an S/L a flight.

Flight Lieutenants are pretty much everyone else that is fully aircrew trained (with a few Flying Officers here and there).  A Pilot Officer seems almost to be a training rank (in fact, the Indian Air Force no longer uses it).

I still like the ranks, though.

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on May 30, 2014, 12:55:03 PM

Really?  You were promoted Flight Lieutenant from Flying Officer, correct?  That would have put you into the "LPA" since the RAF has no other rank with "lieutenant" in it.

But I'm not going to be the one to argue with a Warrant, especially not a Station Warrant Officer (note: they're not like our Warrants; they're like super-SNCO's but with more authority, and they're not saluted, though you do address them as "Sir/Ma'am/Mr/Ms/Miss").

The RAF/RAAF/RNZAF only have one level of W/O, though the RCAF has three.

We can argue the semantics about the LPA (  :) ) but, trust me, as a Flight Lieutenant you were considered **way** outside the protection of your NCOs!  >:D

I like your assessment of the ranks.

There is actually an Acting Pilot Officer, which is either someone at college or university who has yet to attend training (much like ROTC) or someone who has completed officer school but had little relevant prior service.  Most officers in the aircrew branches leave basic as a Flying Officer, having served the equivalent of ROTC time,  as do most engineers.  I was an Acting Pilot Officer for the 3 years I was at college, despite having 5 years prior enlisted service; my pay wasn't affected and my rank was retrospectively advanced when I graduated from officer training.

To paraphrase Robert Heinlein from Starship Troopers: "if anyone ever saluted an Acting Pilot Officer, it was a dark night and they didn't see clearly!"

Describing the PO as a training rank is about right: one spends a maximum of 18 months in the rank (6 months acting, 12 substantive) which about covers most of the "professional" training courses.  To be honest, the majority of officer candidates now in the RAF have either prior enlisted service or have some external antedates to seniority so there are fewer and fewer Pilot Officers...shame, actually, as it was a good place to learn!

MacGruff

Congratulations on your promotion.

Chappie

Congrats on the promotion!!!!  What are you going to do now with that extra zero on your CAP paycheck?
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Chappie on May 30, 2014, 08:14:46 PM
Congrats on the promotion!!!!  What are you going to do now with that extra zero on your CAP paycheck?

The same thing I did with my last promotion, Chappie.  The extra zero went into my bank account and added...absolutely nothing (not in material terms, anyway; but you know the bit about "not laying up treasures on earth")! ;)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Nikos

Chappie

Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 08:50:27 PM
Quote from: Chappie on May 30, 2014, 08:14:46 PM

The same thing I did with my last promotion, Chappie.  The extra zero went into my bank account and added...absolutely nothing (not in material terms, anyway; but you know the bit about "not laying up treasures on earth")! ;)

Well played  :clap:
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2014, 02:38:53 PM

And that's the problem.  Even though they sound logical, their grade titles have nothing to do with their actual jobs now.

And do you still call junior officers in the Commonwealth air forces "Pilot Officers" and "Flying Officers" when they're not pilots, nor do they fly?