30-40 lb
0 (0%)
40-50 lb
0 (0%)
>50 lb
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

LSThiker

I am taking an informal poll regarding the weight of your 24 and 72h gear.  Although I am curious about your SAR gear, I would also be curious about your base weight for any backpackers/hikers as well.  If you want to separate the weights (24h and 72h) with a reply, that would be wonderful too.

Please note, I understand some people advocate not carrying the 72h and leaving it in the vehicle.  There is no need to discuss that POV here.  I am just working on an informal project. 

Thanks,

Eclipse

I said 12-20 as a guess.  I know it's less then my notebook bag and that's probably abut 15. If it
was less then 12 it wouldn't surprise me, though the water is heavy when you're wear a hydropack.

No idea what the 72 weighs, it's always in a vehicle.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

If it weighs less than a North Korean infantryman its not worth it....

In all seriousness, my 24 weighed maybe 10-15 and my 72 which included my 24 was around 30. It also depended on the time of year.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ed Bos

Quote from: LSThiker on May 28, 2014, 10:21:37 PM
I am taking an informal poll regarding the weight of your 24 and 72h gear. 

What are you doing with the data you collect?
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

LSThiker

Quote from: Ed Bos on May 29, 2014, 04:48:39 AM
What are you doing with the data you collect?

Just trying to get an idea of equipment weight using a rather broad field of responses (aka not just my wing).  I have read some interesting journal articles about the biomechanics of hikers and SAR personnel and the weight they carry.  More specifically, the proper packing of equipment, use of hiking poles, damage to knees, ankles, and other joints, and common injuries.  Using those primary sources, I would like to create a presentation (or formal opinion). 

This is one area where the military has, in general, been lacking, while the civilian side has been the driving force.  It is not uncommon for today's Soldier to be carrying 70+ pounds of gear (not including the body armor, communications, or ammo).  However, civilian backpackers have been carrying essentially the same equipment (e.g. tents, sleeping systems, water treatment, toiletries, first aid) but at weights less than 12 pounds.  Of course, there are a number of factors that contribute to this, such as different missions, durability of equipment, etc.  Thus you cannot truly make an accurate cross-comparison.  However, it has only been recently that the Army has pushed for lighter equipment (e.g. MOLLE, sleep system).  Another case in point.  The issued combat boot is far behind current podiatric medicine and science.  For essentially the same price, hikers can get a fairly decent pair of hiking boots that are comfortable and durable.  For troops deploying to Afghanistan, the Army has been issuing hiking boots.  I find it interesting.

lordmonar

Well I know that the Army does do a lot of research in this area.  They are working to reduce the weight of a combat load....but as you pointed out....things weigh what they weigh and there are always trade offs between weight, price, durability, etc.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BFreemanMA

I responded, although the total weight of my gear definitely varies depending on the weather and SAREX in which I'm participating. I tend to go through a lot of water, so I've been known to keep a few canteens in my pack to supplement my Camelbak. I tried to give you an average of my gear weight throughout the year.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

LSThiker

Thanks to everyone that responded thus far.  This is pretty much what I figured although I would have guessed a few more in the 20-30 range and a few in the 30-40 range.