cadet o flight age limit

Started by mike065, April 17, 2014, 05:19:24 AM

mike065

If a cadet can stay a cadet until they are 21, then why are cadet o flights limited to cadets under age 18?

vento

The cadet orientation program is designed to introduce our "youth" to aviation. Age 18 is the threshold from youth to adulthood...  :angel:

Archer

Abritrary age discrimination. If you're going to call them a cadet, you should treat them like a cadet. Don't want to give them the privelages you promised them as cadets, don't let them be cadets.

lordmonar

Because the USAF pays for O-flights....and they don't want to pay for 18 year olds and older.

All arguments of what should be done need to be directed to CAP-USAF.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

After 18 you can fly all you like as Aircrew.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Age discrimination? All those poor 18 year old cadets are victims and we're not addressing the problem? Let's form a committee!

Eclipse

The Committees Committee is still finalizing the committee's rules, can't schedule anything until they are done.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 01:37:39 PM
The Committees Committee is still finalizing the committee's rules, can't schedule anything until they are done.

But the scheduling committee is waiting for input from the steering committee which has referred the matter to the subcommittee on chronological distinctions.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on April 17, 2014, 01:41:54 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 01:37:39 PM

But the scheduling committee is waiting for input from the steering committee which has referred the matter to the subcommittee on chronological distinctions.

Ahhhh..."The Night Theroux Spent in Prison"...... ;)

a2capt

Before 18 ..you can ride in the plane .. at 18 you can actually fly the thing. Quit complaining.

Garibaldi

Quote from: a2capt on April 17, 2014, 04:41:01 PM
Before 18 ..you can ride in the plane .. at 18 you can actually fly the thing. Quit complaining.

Can they? I admit ignorance since I am not a pilot.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 17, 2014, 05:00:33 PM

Can they? I admit ignorance since I am not a pilot.

To be fair, you can fly it lower than 18 if you're receiving instruction from a CAP IP.

But yes, cadets over 18 can be form 5'd and fly the same way seniors do, but are restricted to no additional cadets in the aircraft, unless they're an o-ride pilot, which requires CFI if they're a cadet.

THRAWN

A PPL can be issued at 17...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on April 17, 2014, 06:27:50 PM

A PPL can be issued at 17...

Yes, but you can't use it in CAP until 18.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yup, all tongue in cheek, as related to CAP.. primary training aside, which is still largely a controlled activity.

SunDog

A while back we got asked if we could squeeze in one more ride, as the cadet would turn 18 that month, and still had one ride left. It was the approach-to-stall ride, so it was just him and me in the airplane. . .

I usually turn the controls over pretty early, as soon as we're level and trimmed. Had my dark suspicions right away, since it looked like the needles were painted on the instruments for the next ten minutes.  So I asked HIM to explain load factor, steep turns, and stalls. We should have switched seats. . .nice calm day, so he kept flying through his own wake doing the steep turns. He might have varied 20 feet in altitude.  Turns out he'd been flying quite a while, and was good at it.

We flew a full hour, (lot of controlled airspace for us to deal with, so .8 or .9 isn't uncommon for an O ride) and I think I flew .1 of it.  I almost put him under the hood, but I'm not a CFI, and there was a lot of traffic around. It was tempting to let him try the landing from the right seat, but I followed the book. . .

On another occasion, a much younger cadet was flying great; kinda short, quite young. After a bit, I realized there was no way he could see over the glare shield. And he had a great instrument scan going!. AH, then AS, back to AH, back to Altimeter, back to AH, back to DG.  Quick look every other cycle at VVI. He explained that he'd read that somewhere and adopted it!  I had him track a radial, and he tried to reach over and set the heading bug to help himself out! I got it for him, and he nailed it.  If we had time, I would have loved to see him do an ILS approach.  He claimed MS Sim was the source of his proficiency, and I believed him, as sims had helped me out years back on my instrument.