Questions about PJOC and Encampment

Started by CAPNC991CP, February 08, 2014, 04:39:15 PM

CAPNC991CP

Hello all,

I'm not new to CAP, and I read posts on CAP Talk all the time. But I've never been able to find the right answers to my questions.

Question 1 is really more of a call for help. I applied for PJOC this summer and I think I nailed my interview, ;D so hopefully I'll get in. But I really want to know from past PJOC grads what it is that I need to be expecting if I get in. Physically and mentally. I think I'm in relatively great shape, I just wanna know what to expect.

Question 2... I got the command chief position at encampment. WOO! But all I'm saying is... now what? I signed up, not expecting to get it and well- now I'm stuck with it. Command chief isn't a real position, so there isn't much online about what exactly I'm supposed to be doing. If you had to come up with one, what would you say my "job description" for command chief would be AND what should I expect to be handling during encampment? Also, I've been told I'm not "mean enough" for command chief...  >:( I'm a first sergeant now and everybody says I'm too nice for the position. How to I actually get this "mean" mentality in me??

Jaison009

You should be in exceptional physical and mental shape. PJOC will test you in ways you didn't know possible and at the end you get the patch, hat, and NCSA ribbon. Make sure you are ready for the heat and if you can acclimate that is best.

As to the Command Chief, there is no reason why you have to ever be "mean". The best NCOs know when to be firm and use their command presence to their benefit. They also understand barking orders doesn't mean that stuff gets done. WIWAC many including myself imitated what we saw in movies like Full Metal Jacket or Heartbreak Ridge, saw first hand, etc. I spent my entire life growing up around Infantry, Rangers, and SF and learned from my dad and others that those who are "bad A" don't have to say a lot or advertise it. My best friend's dad was a CSM (Command Sergeant Major) by the name of Arlie "David" Nethken. He was a little red head that was about 5' nothing but hardcore as they come. He did not have to tell people he was the CSM. They knew.

CAP is not the military and the dynamics are different but your staff and cadets know good leaders. If you have to tell everyone you are in charge all the time, its time to look at your leadership skills. Have fun, enjoy encampment, make lots of friends, hold your staff and yourself accountable, and work hard. Once you trade stripes for pips the real fun begins.

Eclipse

Mean isn't used in CAP or the military.

Be professional, live the example and expect and enforce it with others.

Tight and right beats mean every time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

While a Cadet Command Chief Master Sergeant (C/CCM) is not a position specified in CAPR 20-1 or CAPP 52-15, the position does exist and it's widely used in the U.S. Air Force (minus the cadet part).

The C/CCM is the cadet commander's senior enlisted advisor. As such, you're suppose to advise, carry out and monitor encampment and cadet commander's policies, programs and standards applicable to the assigned cadet enlisted corps. As C/CCMs you should be the cadet commander's key enlisted advocate and advisor on readiness, training, professional development, utilization of the cadet corps, operations tempo, standards, conduct and quality of life during the encampment.

It's a challenging and rewarding position. Cadet NCOs will be looking up to you, so you should lead by example. Good luck!

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPNC991CP on February 08, 2014, 04:39:15 PMQuestion 2... I got the command chief position at encampment. WOO! But all I'm saying is... now what? I signed up, not expecting to get it and well- now I'm stuck with it.

Life lesson - never apply for a job unless you actually know what you're expected to do.

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

The Command Chief is abstractly the 1st Sgt just to the next higher level than a Squadron 1st Shirt...so instead of working with the individual cadets, they perform similar duties to work with and support the NCO's (Squadron 1st Sergents and Flight Sergents).  Generally I would say look there first for some application of what to expect, secondly ask the encampment cadet commander and CoC what they expect your duties to include.

Mean is right out.... proffessionalism and mentoring are by far the more important areas I would concentrate on.

The difficulty I see in CAP with cadet NCO positions is that some encampments dont work in that abstract of NCO/Officer split.  They are more an integrated staff without a strict deliniation of officer vs NCO/enlisted duties. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel