Fully set-up Mess Dress help

Started by BFreemanMA, February 01, 2014, 05:03:08 AM

BFreemanMA

Hello everyone!

Part of the RSC I'll be attending involves a dining-out and (although I understand it is optional) I would like to put together a Mess Dress. I am a SM Captain. I paged through search for CAPTalk and looked through 39-1, but it seems like there are a few "tricks" to setting this up that I don't feel 100% comfortable with - namely the shoulderboards and "commissioning braid." Obviously, I'd like to get everything correct on this uniform since it is on the expensive side, but 39-1 doesn't clearly show the shoulder board and makes a reference to embroidered insignia and an "Air Force Star." I'm not sure what exactly they mean by these two items. I also want to confirm that the jacket will require a dark blue commissioning braid, similar to the Service Dress Coat. I will be using the MCSS Tailor at our local Exchange, but I understand that CAP versions of uniforms have nuances that might not be clear to military tailors.

If anyone happens to have more insight than I, or (best of all) a picture of a fully-setup Captain's Mess Dress for CAP in full accordance of regs, I would be deeply appreciative. Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

capmaj

There is no Dining Out at PRSC!

A casual BBQ meet/greet is held at the Recreation Center at the beginning of the week and then a luncheon is held at the All Ranks Club on Thursday or Friday. At the BBQ clothing is civvies. At the luncheon it's AF 'class B's (for lack of a better descriptor) or white/gray combo.

AlphaSigOU

As capmaj says, there's no need for mess dress at PCRSC.

The mess dress off the rack at MCSS includes a small strip of blue cloth (check the jacket pockets) that a skilled military tailor will create loops to attach the officer shoulder boards. They also include silver sleeve braid for Air Force officers - you will need to replace that with the dark blue sleeve braid from service dress. MCSS may have it in stock, otherwise Scamguard - ahem - Vanguard will have it. I have a diagram I created for tailoring the mess dress uniform, but it's in my office computer. The MCSS alterations shop (if they are at an AF base) should be familiar with creating the shoulder loops with the mess dress.

Mess dress shoulder boards modified for CAP have bullion grade insignia and dark blue braid replacing the silver, and a Hap Arnold wing-and-star button at the top of the shoulder board. If you choose to wear the bullion 'dinner plate' you wear bullion wings and specialty badges.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BFreemanMA

All,

Thank you very much for your insight! I am a bit confused, though, since the information on RSC posted on Capmembers.com gives a whole script on dinings-in and other procedures of the sort. I'm definitely glad I checked in here before I went out and spent money on a uniform I didn't explicitly need.
     Everyone has been very helpful, and hopefully this will help out someone else down the road who needs this information since the regs aren't very clear and it seems as if Mess Dress isn't a very common uniform.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer

futura

I purchased my mess dress uniform at Westover and had their tailor attach the correct braid and shoulder boards . She did an outstanding job.

Pylon

Quote from: BFreemanMA on February 01, 2014, 07:39:20 PM
Thank you very much for your insight! I am a bit confused, though, since the information on RSC posted on Capmembers.com gives a whole script on dinings-in and other procedures of the sort. I'm definitely glad I checked in here before I went out and spent money on a uniform I didn't explicitly need.

The other two members posted about the Pacific RSC (on the west coast).  Since you're in MA, I imagine you're going to the Northeast RSC.   http://www.ner.cap.gov/nersc/  They specifically mention a Dining Out.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

capmaj

THRAWN

I have never had an issue with any uniform set up at an AAFES shop. They generally have our uniform regs and do a better job following them than some members....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AlphaSigOU

Here's the diagrams you need to show a tailor that's not familiar with military tailoring and alterations, especially for the mess dress and service dress uniforms.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BFreemanMA

All,

Yes, I'm signed up for the PRSC, so I don't know if that changes anything. At any rate, it looks like I have everything I need. Thank you very much for your help!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer

PHall

Quote from: BFreemanMA on February 04, 2014, 12:25:21 AM
All,

Yes, I'm signed up for the PRSC, so I don't know if that changes anything. At any rate, it looks like I have everything I need. Thank you very much for your help!

You don't need a Mess Dress for the PRSC.  It's really hard to get BBQ sauce out of the cummerbund! >:D

capmaj

^^^  Or the steak sauce at Steak Night at the All Ranks Club.