Flight Suit ranks -- which direction?

Started by arBar, January 17, 2014, 02:17:11 PM

arBar

After looking through 39-1, the Knowledgebase, and Google, it appears to me that the ranks of Major and above are positioned in line with the shoulder seem (the base of the rank sits towards the arm), but Lieutenant and Captain ranks are parallel with the seem attaching the sleeves (so their "base" faces the chest).  This is based purely on looking at pictures online.  I would like some clarification pleeez.  Can anyone advise me here? 

jeders

Rank on the flight suit is lined up in the same direction/manner as on the epaulet sleeves.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AlphaSigOU

Flight Officers/Lieutenants/Captains: centered on top of each shoulder, long (base side) 1/2" from shoulder/arm seam.

Majors/Lieutenant Colonels: centered on top of each shoulder, 1/2" from shoulder/arm seam; stem of oak leaf points outward to shoulder seam.

Colonels: centered on top of each shoulder, 1/2" from shoulder/arm seam; beak of eagle points to front.

General officers: centered on top of each shoulder. Stars are displayed point to center.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arBar

Thank you gentlemen!  I know it seems like such an elementary silly question, but pretty much everyone in a flight suit that I've interacted with were majors, and there's not many pics in google images available showing lieutenants, mainly captains.  The regs weren't that specific (that I could find).  Anytime I've seen rank charts, the lieutenants and captain ranks are upright, like I or II.  But on the shoulder they are turned like _ or =.  So that's why I came to you fine folks.   

Again, thanks for the clarification.  This is my first time to don a flight suit and just wanna make sure its right.

The CyBorg is destroyed

First of all, the only "silly" question is the one you don't ask.

Second, I find the placement of Maj/Lt Col oakleaves somewhat illogical - on all other officer grade insignia, a metaphorical "point forward" is the rule (like the beaks on Colonel's eagles), but for those two grades the "stem" is, of course, pointing outward.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Mustang

Quote from: CyBorg on January 17, 2014, 07:38:20 PM

Second, I find the placement of Maj/Lt Col oakleaves somewhat illogical - on all other officer grade insignia, a metaphorical "point forward" is the rule (like the beaks on Colonel's eagles), but for those two grades the "stem" is, of course, pointing outward.

I find the opposite to be true; all officer grade insignia except 2d Lt, 1st Lt and Capt is worn in its proper orientation as viewed from the wearer's side--"right side up". 2d Lt, 1st Lt and Capt, however, are worn sideways.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

The CyBorg is destroyed

I was thinking from a third-person-observation point of view.  Sorry if I did not make that clear.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2014, 06:20:29 AM
I was thinking from a third-person-observation point of view.  Sorry if I did not make that clear.

I always thought it odd that O-1 to O-3 grade insignia, when worn on the shoulders or collar, are worn with the long-side (bars) "flat", but when worn on a hat, the long-side (bars) are "standing up".

Mustang

On headgear and collars, bars are worn in the same orientation as the others.  It's only on the shoulders that we rotate them 90°.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

pascocap2002

To build upon the original question, I was told the other day that we can now use the air force style grade insignia for flight suits but when I checked the 39-1, it says we still use the plastic encased grade insignia.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M39_1_chap_2.pdf

This goes to show everyone that when your in doubt, check the regs.

The CyBorg is destroyed

If you don't mind the question, who told you that CAP can now use the same insignia for flight suits that the AF can?  You don't need to name names, and were they a member of CAP or not?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 12:46:05 AMI was told ... that we can
.. should always be followed with "as it says right here in the regulations .."

pascocap2002

Quote from: CyBorg on January 23, 2014, 01:20:25 AM
If you don't mind the question, who told you that CAP can now use the same insignia for flight suits that the AF can?  You don't need to name names, and were they a member of CAP or not?

A CAP friend that is also a member of Wing Staff (I will not say names or Wing).

The moral of the story is... if you don't know, check the regs before you act.

pascocap2002

Quote from: a2capt on January 23, 2014, 02:00:53 AM
Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 23, 2014, 12:46:05 AMI was told ... that we can
.. should always be followed with "as it says right here in the regulations .."

I agree 100% with this.

Regulations are constantly changing but with that said, that just means people should do more reading.

bosshawk

One of my more favorite statements: "the three most dangerous words in the English language are "somebody told me". As you have found out, they didn't know what they were talking about.

All this from an old guy who has been around a few years.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777