I just couldn't stay away

Started by winterg, November 10, 2013, 03:21:45 AM

winterg

After an aborted attempt to return last year (I was just too busy) I finally made the time to return to CAP.  Once it gets in your blood, I guess.   ;D   After meeting up with the local squadron, Clearwater Composite, I think I will be very happy there.  They seem like a great group of people with an active cadet and ES program.  My paperwork is at National and now I wait.

Since I have been gone about 5 years I know I need to redo most everything.  I have been perusing the new websites (new to me) and new material for the senior member PD program and I have to admit, I like a lot of what I see.  The CAP University is hands above anything I had available when I began as a SM in the 90's.  The "New Member Welcome Booklet" and "Respect On Display Pamphlet" in the New Member Kit are great.  And while I don't "think" I need a refresher (we never do) I like what I have seen so far and I can see where these will be a great resource for new members.

I also see the SLS and CLC can be accomplished online now.  In fact, I see a lot of the courses are available online now.  That would have been great back when I was trying to get it done and there never seemed to be one available that I could make it to.  But I think the members that take it online will miss a great opportunity to make new friends face to face from other squadrons.  But that's the world we live in and if that makes it easier for new members to participate in the PD program that is a win in my book.

I figured I would come see what's new on CT while I wait to get rolling again.  I see the big news is the new NCO program.  I have some thoughts about that but I will hold off while I do more catching up and reading about what I missed.

Flying Pig

Im in the same boat but Ive only been gone about 2yrs.  Kickin around the idea again.  Im in Port Charlotte, FL.  Just relocated here from CAWG, where I pretty much ran the place and most everyone there looked up to me like the Egyptians looked to the Pharaoh.  (To much?)

winterg

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 10, 2013, 03:35:17 AM
Im in the same boat but Ive only been gone about 2yrs.  Kickin around the idea again.  Im in Port Charlotte, FL.  Just relocated here from CAWG, where I pretty much ran the place and most everyone there looked up to me like the Egyptians looked to the Pharaoh.  (To much?)

Not enough? LoL  Don't get miffed if I don't build any pyramids for you. ;) 

Port Charlotte? That's about 2 hours south of me.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

There is a maintenance facility at KPGD for CAP planes. So far everything Ive seen come and go looks good. The planes Ive seen all have the Aspen or G500 install.   Even on the 172s. 

♠SARKID♠

Weren't you in Milwaukee? We've been short on seniors lately, and I was thinking of trying to recall you back into action  :)

winterg

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 27, 2013, 03:24:31 AM
Weren't you in Milwaukee? We've been short on seniors lately, and I was thinking of trying to recall you back into action  :)

I was.  I ended up moving back to Florida to be near family after I graduated.  Sorry, I won't be much use to you down here. :)

Chappie

Flying Pig, who????  Folks....he really is missed in the CAWG/PCR.  He sure kept me on my toes to look up to him...but then again I'm 5'6".
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Angus

Could have been worse, could have said they looked up to like you were Ra.   ;D
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Woodsy

Clearwater Composite is a great squadron with a top knotch CC.  Not to mention, the recent 50K renovation of their facility is the envy of every squadron, everywhere! 

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Woodsy on December 27, 2013, 10:02:17 PM
Clearwater Composite is a great squadron with a top knotch CC.  Not to mention, the recent 50K renovation of their facility is the envy of every squadron, everywhere!

Concur.  It's a shame that I moved a tad too far to keep my daughter there. 

winterg

Quote from: Woodsy on December 27, 2013, 10:02:17 PM

You ain't just whistling Dixie, there!  I've been in CAP in Maine, Wisconsin and now Florida Wing.  I've been in squadrons that met in a tiny basement room at the airpark or had one or two rooms on loan at the local Guard armory.  Now, I'm at Clearwater Composite Squadron.  I don't know what to do with myself!  4 separate building surrounding a wonderful drill square.  And located at the airport!  It's heaven I tell you.  We have an entire building devoted to ES Operations!!!!!!!!

The members that made this happen deserve some special kind of thanks.

Grumpy

Quote from: Chappie on December 27, 2013, 09:12:25 PM

Flying Pig, who????  Folks....he really is missed in the CAWG/PCR.  He sure kept me on my toes to look up to him...but then again I'm 5'6".

Are you that tall?

Chappie

Quote from: Grumpy on December 28, 2013, 10:09:30 PM

Are you that tall?
Only when standing on the shoulders of others :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

PHall

Quote from: Chappie on December 30, 2013, 02:35:35 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on December 28, 2013, 10:09:30 PM

Are you that tall?
Only when standing on the shoulders of others :)

You're one to talk. >:D

Grumpy

Hope both you all had a wonderful Christmas and your new year will bring you much success.