Another squadron closes its doors.

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, November 06, 2013, 02:33:02 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

Today it was announced hat Birmingham, Alabama Senior Squadron 34 will fold it's tents, furl the flag, and turn out the lights on 12 November 2013.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

RiverAux

Surprising to lose a squadron in a major city.  What was their problem?

a2capt

It was one that recently split in the last couple years, giving up cadets to be a senior only unit. With a meeting place at an airport, did an airplane get moved away recently?

Cliff_Chambliss

We'll  34 has an airplane right now.  However since 2009, one we had was transferred to Bessemer Composite Sqdn..  Another was destroyed by a storm.  And finally the Sqdn got another plane last year.
3d Infantry Division

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on November 06, 2013, 09:36:32 PM
It was one that recently split in the last couple years, giving up cadets to be a senior only unit. With a meeting place at an airport, did an airplane get moved away recently?

So by "split" is the cadet cadre still active?  Or did they just go away?

From 50k feet this sounds like more justification for >not< allowing units to specialize or reduce their mission.  When units are based around a single
resource or person, they can die quickly.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

The cadet squadron in Birmingham is still going and very strong.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Private Investigator

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on November 06, 2013, 10:13:49 PM
We'll  34 has an airplane right now.  However since 2009, one we had was transferred to Bessemer Composite Sqdn..  Another was destroyed by a storm.  And finally the Sqdn got another plane last year.

Who gets the C172 now?

Units come and go but CAP will always be around.  8)

Cliff_Chambliss

When Sqdn 34 closed out it's cadet program all the cadets transferred to Birmingham Composite Sqdn 90, which is still going very strong.

As for the aircraft, that decision is above my pay grade.  However, in addition to Sqdn 90 in Birmingham, there are several other squadrons (Bessemer, Shelby County, Springville (flight), Gadsden, Cullman all about the same distance from Birmingham so leaving the plane at here would allow multiple sqdns its use. (my totally uninformed, unasked for, and unqualified opinion).

I am sorry to see this unit close down, in its day it was a real powerhouse squadron.  When I was a cadet in the old Birmingham Composite Sqdn 1 (now Sqdn 90), Birmingham Squadron 34 set the benchmark for the Alabam Cadet Program but that was in the early 1960's. 
3d Infantry Division

Larry Mangum

So who made the decision to close the squadron?
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Elihu.Lowery

I do not know why they are deactivating; CAP eservices shows that they have 20 members. But, if they are interested we would give all their members a warm welcome at SER-AL-90 117TH ANG composite Squadron after all we are at the same airport just across the way from them. 
Elihu J. Lowery, MSgt., CAP
Cadet Programs NCO
SER-AL-090 117Th ANG Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: Elihu.Lowery on November 09, 2013, 08:09:23 AM
I do not know why they are deactivating; CAP eservices shows that they have 20 members.

20 members on the books means nothing if most are empty shirts or disinterested in doing anything but flying
and no one wants to carry the corners.

There are a >LOT< of squadrons at risk in this manner - one or two personalities quit or move on to"other" an the doors close.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on November 09, 2013, 08:19:12 AM
I do not know why they are deactivating; CAP eservices shows that they have 20 members.

20 members on the books means nothing if most are empty shirts or disinterested in doing anything but flying
and no one wants to carry the corners.

There are a >LOT< of squadrons at risk in this manner - one or two personalities quit or move on to"other" an the doors close.

I concur. Most dying Squadrons do not know how terminal they are until they die or are almost there. An example is a Cadet Squadron with more Senior Members than Cadets. Or a Senior Squadron that is dark because the members all went to a AOPA event.  8)

Cliff_Chambliss

I do not know why they are deactivating; CAP eservices shows that they have 20 members. But, if they are interested we would give all their members a warm welcome at SER-AL-90 117TH ANG composite Squadron after all we are at the same airport just across the way from them.

There are reasons, but this is not the time nor the place to discuss the specifics.  Let's just say the people that need to know do know and anything said here could easily be mistaken for sour grapes and/or just bad attitude.  But I will say Don't let your squadron get old, keep it young.
3d Infantry Division

Private Investigator

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on November 10, 2013, 02:02:07 PM

There are reasons, but this is not the time nor the place to discuss the specifics.  Let's just say the people that need to know do know and anything said here could easily be mistaken for sour grapes and/or just bad attitude.  But I will say Don't let your squadron get old, keep it young.

I agree. Squadrons that have problems never see it because they are too 'close' to the problem. When I would visit a Squadron as an IG or when I was a Group Commander, I saw their problems but the SQCC and their Staff would be in denial mode and/or too proud to ask for help. A Squadron is in bad shape if they depend/need one or two members to make their Squadron work. JMHO   8)