Main Menu

CAP Medals

Started by Shuman 14, November 01, 2013, 08:18:45 AM

Nolan Teel

Ask the commander in EServices.  I think its a great fund producing Idea and would be a great thing for shadow boxes.

disamuel

I was in Norfolk Virginia for business last week and stopped at Vanguard to pick up some items. I took a picture of some sample ribbon racks showing a full size as as well as a mini medal rack.

BHartman007

Quote from: MacGruff on November 02, 2013, 11:54:41 PM
In our squadron all promotions are handled during promotion night. Cadet or Senior - makes no difference.

How common is a "promotion night" among squadrons? Our cadet promotions just happen on whatever meeting night they are eligible, and I've never seen a senior recognized at a meeting, though there have only been two senior promotions since I've been there. I should be getting my 2dLt any minute now (before meeting tomorrow night, I'm hoping), and admit public recognition would be kind of nice to have. Not that I joined for recognition, but still.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

SarDragon

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 18, 2013, 03:03:43 AM
In our squadron all promotions are handled during promotion night. Cadet or Senior - makes no difference.

How common is a "promotion night" among squadrons? Our cadet promotions just happen on whatever meeting night they are eligible, and I've never seen a senior recognized at a meeting, though there have only been two senior promotions since I've been there. I should be getting my 2dLt any minute now (before meeting tomorrow night, I'm hoping), and admit public recognition would be kind of nice to have. Not that I joined for recognition, but still.

Most of the units I've been in have had promotions in front of the squadron - in formation if possible, or in front of the classroom if not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

We make it a point to devote time during the first meeting of the month for promotions and awards to give a chance to recognize all members' achievements in front of the squadron. I find it a good way to start the month.

That said, I do like the idea of full-size medals, as while we can't wear them on a uniform, they would be awesome for shadow boxes, as others have said. I think that we don't need every award to have a medal equivalent, as the Armed Forces have several ribbons with no full-size medal equivalent. However, many of our awards would be great to have medals to go with to display with pride.
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

PHall

Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on November 18, 2013, 03:50:35 AM

We make it a point to devote time during the first meeting of the month for promotions and awards to give a chance to recognize all members' achievements in front of the squadron. I find it a good way to start the month.

That said, I do like the idea of full-size medals, as while we can't wear them on a uniform, they would be awesome for shadow boxes, as others have said. I think that we don't need every award to have a medal equivalent, as the Armed Forces have several ribbons with no full-size medal equivalent. However, many of our awards would be great to have medals to go with to display with pride.

So what's stopping you from making a shadow box with the miniature medals?

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Quote from: PHall on November 18, 2013, 05:40:46 AM
Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on November 18, 2013, 03:50:35 AM

So what's stopping you from making a shadow box with the miniature medals?

Very true. Nothing stops me from doing that, but if said full-size medals were considered and created, I would definitely consider buying them to create a shadow box. Having made shadow boxes for both my father and grandfather, as well as seen ones with mini-medals, I prefer the look of full-size, hence my agreement with others on the possible viability of such products.

Now, the one thing stopping me from making a shadow box in general is that I am still very much active and have many more years to give before I consider fading off into the sunset and looking at the box on the wall.;)
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

PHall

Well, in the Air Force only about two-thirds of the ribbons have a corresponding medal.
Example: On my Air Force uniform I have 21 Federal and 6 State ribbons but I only have 16 Federal and 3 State medals.

In CAP every ribbon has a medal.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on November 18, 2013, 06:41:41 AM
Well, in the Air Force only about two-thirds of the ribbons have a corresponding medal.
Example: On my Air Force uniform I have 21 Federal and 6 State ribbons but I only have 16 Federal and 3 State medals.

Seriously? In CAP there are no "ribbon only" awards?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Garibaldi

Quote from: shuman14 on November 18, 2013, 07:49:10 AM
Quote from: PHall on November 18, 2013, 06:41:41 AM

Seriously? In CAP there are no "ribbon only" awards?

Except, from what I can see, cadet ribbons. Since they aren't authorized to wear the mess dress it is pointless, and there are only a few cadet ribbons that can be worn as a senior member.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

IIRC, the milestones have mini-medals.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

The Homeland Security and Community Service ribbons don't have mini-medals (yet).

I would suggest that the following be offered as full-size medals by Vanguard:

Distinguished Service (already a full-size gong)
Exceptional Service
Meritorious Service
Commander's Commendation
Lifesaving
Achievement Award
National Commander's Unit Citation
Gill Robb Wilson
Paul E. Garber
Grover Loening
Yeager Award
Crossfield Award
Search and Rescue
Find
Disaster Relief
Red Service
Spaatz
Eaker
Earhart
Mitchell

N.B. - I don't list the SMV and BMV because they're 1) already full-size medals and 2) you can't get one unless you've earned one anyway.

I don't see a need for Membership or Leadership to have full-size, and any others could conceivably also be just ribbon-only.

Thoughts?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Shuman 14

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 18, 2013, 10:54:37 AM
The Homeland Security and Community Service ribbons don't have mini-medals (yet).

Exceptional Service
Meritorious Service
Commander's Commendation
Lifesaving
Achievement Award
Gill Robb Wilson
Paul E. Garber
Grover Loening
Yeager Award
Crossfield Award
Search and Rescue
Find
Disaster Relief
Red Service
Spaatz
Eaker
Earhart
Mitchell

N.B. - I don't list the SMV and BMV because they're 1) already full-size medals and 2) you can't get one unless you've earned one anyway.

I don't see a need for Membership or Leadership to have full-size, and any others could conceivably also be just ribbon-only.

Thoughts?

Jack

Sir,

Not really completely understanding what every CAP ribbon/medal is awarded for I'll bow to your knowledge. The only thing I would add for discussion is that all US Military and most US civilian agency unit awards are ribbon only. Most of those are also framed with a gold metal border.

I see at least one award listed above that is clearly a unit award, I would recommend that it (and any others) remain as ribbon only award... and... just to chum the waters  a bit... maybe even add gold frames to those unit awards to conform to military standards.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Майор Хаткевич

Military or army standards?

PHall

Shuman, those are ARMY standards, they do things differently in the other services.
CAP mostly follows Air Force standards.

Shuman 14

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 19, 2013, 01:37:57 AM
Military or army standards?

About half and half actually. In descending order:

USA and USAF PUC - Framed.
USN/USMC and USCG PUC - Unframed.

JMUC - Framed.

USA VUA - Framed.
USAF GUC - Unframed.

USN/USMC and USCG Unit Citation - Unframed.

USA MUC - Framed.
USAF, USN/USMC, and USCG MUC - Unframed.

USA SUA - Framed.
USAF OUA - Unframed.
USCG MTC - Unframed.

USAF OEA - Unframed.
USN/USMC and USCG "E" Ribbon - Unframed.

Common Civilian Unit Awards (Seen on Military Uniforms):
DOT SOUA - Framed.
PHS OUC - Unframed.
PHS SUC - Unframed.
NOAA UCA - Unframed.

Common Foreign Unit Awards (Seen on Military Uniforms):
RoP PUC - Framed.
RoK PUC - Framed.
RVN PUC - Framed.
RVN GCUC - Framed.
RVN CAMUC - Framed.

National Guard and State Defense Force Awards:
Too many to list but almost all unit awards are Framed.

None of the above are medals, ALL are ribbon only awards.

The Frames may be a majority US Army thing but all unit awards, regardless of Service, are ribbon only.

As an edited note to my suggestion:

Since CAP's highest unit award appears to be the National Commander's Unit Citation; and as the Air Forces highest unit award is the Presidential Unit Citation, which is a ribbon only - framed award; shouldn't the CAP NCUC be a ribbon only award with a gold frame?
Joseph J. Clune

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on November 18, 2013, 10:03:03 AM
IIRC, the milestones have mini-medals.

Yes, that is what I was referring to.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Frames? We don't need no steenking frames!

Really - why do we need frames?

Frames suck. They add cost and complexity to the ribbon rack, and have little historical basis in CAP terms.

I think you should step back, and quit trying to change CAP into an Army look-alike.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on November 19, 2013, 01:27:40 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on November 18, 2013, 10:54:37 AM

Exceptional Service
Meritorious Service
Commander's Commendation
Lifesaving
Achievement Award
Gill Robb Wilson
Paul E. Garber
Grover Loening
Yeager Award
Crossfield Award
Search and Rescue
Find
Disaster Relief
Red Service
Spaatz
Eaker
Earhart
Mitchell

Thoughts?

Jack

Sir,

Not really completely understanding what every CAP ribbon/medal is awarded for I'll bow to your knowledge. The only thing I would add for discussion is that all US Military and most US civilian agency unit awards are ribbon only. Most of those are also framed with a gold metal border.

I see at least one award listed above that is clearly a unit award, I would recommend that it (and any others) remain as ribbon only award... and... just to chum the waters  a bit... maybe even add gold frames to those unit awards to conform to military standards.

In the Air Force, there's also a distinction between awards and medals. Unit Citations are not medals, hence they come in "ribbon only" form. CAP, on the other hand, has no medals per se. But all awards have mini medals to be worn on the mess dress uniform, as appropriate.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: SarDragon on November 19, 2013, 09:23:49 AM
I think you should step back, and quit trying to change CAP into an Army look-alike.

As an Army guy myself, I don't always agree with the Navy but when I do I agree with SarDragon.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP