Main Menu

CAP Medals

Started by Shuman 14, November 01, 2013, 08:18:45 AM

Shuman 14

It was simply a suggestion... don't blow it out of proportion.  ???
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

flyboy53

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 19, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 19, 2013, 09:23:49 AM
I think you should step back, and quit trying to change CAP into an Army look-alike.

As an Army guy myself, I don't always agree with the Navy but when I do I agree with SarDragon.

Let's not forget that the Air Force was originally an Army Corps and a lot of even our history and traditions (and the first Air Force and CAP uniforms) have an Army origin.

As far as frames around ribbons, however, can we agree to disagree and simply avoid walking down that path. First, frames around ribbons are a hassle. Second, (and probably most importantly) is the cost. Third, would be to avoid what happened many times on active duty when people were awarded something like the RVN Cross of Gallantry unit award, but they would take the frame off and try to pass it off as an individual award.

If we are successful in getting NHQ and Vanguard to mint full-sized medals for purchase, I would hope that NHQ would take the next step and shrink the certificates to a more manageable size.

I have a booklet on the awards presented to the uniformed corps of the Public Health Service. What I like about their awards and decorations program (which is small in comparison to even the CAP's awards, is that they award a certificate for every ribbon -- which might be a nice token to a CAP member in place of handing them a Form 2A (in most cases) and a ribbon.

Майор Хаткевич

I don't know, my Mitchell/Earhart awards look awesome in the current size. The WBA seems underwhelming compare to the rest of the Milestones.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: shuman14 on November 20, 2013, 12:42:15 AM

But if every suggestion is "Do it like the Army does" and comes from someone who has never served a day in CAP (although I do appreciate your check as a Patron member), I hope you can see how it can become tedious.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Private Investigator

I think you should step back, and quit trying to change CAP into an Army look-alike.

As an Army guy myself, I don't always agree with the Navy but when I do I agree with SarDragon.

Well like true Americans, lets settled this with a football game. Army/Navy December 14th.

http://armynavygame.com/

That is how my adult children and I solve problems. BTW, Navy has an eleven game winning streak   8)

stillamarine

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 20, 2013, 08:04:08 PM

Well like true Americans, lets settled this with a football game. Army/Navy December 14th.

That is how my adult children and I solve problems. BTW, Navy has an eleven game winning streak   8)

Go navy!!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Shuman 14

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 20, 2013, 03:27:40 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on November 20, 2013, 12:42:15 AM

But if every suggestion is "Do it like the Army does" and comes from someone who has never served a day in CAP (although I do appreciate your check as a Patron member), I hope you can see how it can become tedious.

But it wasn't "like the Army does"... EVERY Services' unit awards are ribbon only.  ???
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

MSG Mac

Quote from: stillamarine on November 20, 2013, 08:13:12 PM

Go navy!!

The Hudson High vs Canoe U. Mud Wrestling Championship only matters to those who actually attended these  institutions go lower learning.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Oh, it matters to my family, and not one of us has attended Canoe U. We have a total of 137 years of Naval service. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stillamarine

Same here. I never attended. But I watch that game with as much interest as the Michigan and Ohio Sucks....I mean State.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Shuman 14

Bored and did a little reseach and compiled a list of all National Guard unit awards for reference. In alphabetical Order:

Alaska Governors Distinguished Unit Citation – Framed

California Governor's Outstanding Unit Citation – Framed
California Commanding General's Meritorious Unit Citation – Framed

Colorado TAG Outstanding Unit Citation – Unframed

Connecticut Outstanding Unit Award – Unframed

Delaware National Guard Governor's Meritorious Unit Award – Framed
Delaware National Guard Unit Strength Award – Framed

District of Columbia Commanding General's Outstanding Unit Award – Unframed

Florida Governor's Meritorious Unit Citation – Framed

Georgia Distinguished Unit Ribbon – Framed

Idaho Governor's Outstanding Unit Citation – Framed
Idaho Adjutant General's Excellence Award – Framed
Iowa Outstanding Unit Award – Framed

Louisiana F.E. Herbert Meritorious Unit Commendation – Framed

Maine Adjutant General Award – Unframed
Maine Commander's Award – Unframed

Maryland Adjutant General's Special Recognition Ribbon – Framed

Massachusetts Meritorious Unit Citation – Framed

Nevada Governor's Outstanding Unit Award – Framed

New Jersey Governor's Unit Award – Framed
New Jersey Unit Strength Award – Framed

New Mexico Outstanding Unit Citation – Framed

North Carolina Governor's Unit Citation – Framed
North Carolina Meritorious Unit Citation – Framed
North Carolina Outstanding Unit Award – Framed

North Dakota State Outstanding Unit Citation – Framed
North Dakota Governor's Outstanding Unit Citation – Framed

Oklahoma Governor's Distinguished Unit Award – Framed
Oklahoma Commander's Trophy Award Ribbon – Framed

Oregon Superior Unit Ribbon – Framed

Pennsylvania Governor's Unit Citation – Framed

Rhode Island Gubernatorial Unit Award – Framed

South Carolina Governor's Unit Citation – Framed

South Dakota Desert Storm Unit Citation – Framed
South Dakota Unit Citation – Framed
South Dakota Distinguished Unit Award – Framed

Tennessee Meritorious Unit Citation – Framed
Tennessee Distinguished Unit Citation – Framed
Tennessee Outstanding Unit Performance Commendation – Framed
Tennessee Volunteer Recruiting and Retention Unit Citation – Framed

Texas Governor's Unit Citation – Framed

Vermont Outstanding Unit Award – Unframed
Vermont Organizational Excellence Award – Unframed

Washington Unit Citation – Framed

West Virginia Distinguished Unit Award – Framed

Wisconsin Eisenhower Trophy Unit Citation – Unframed

As far as I can tell, all are ribbon only awards. Also some mentioned costs of frames, Scamguard carries a pair at $3.00 USC
http://www.vanguardmil.com/ribbon-attachments-frame-small-p-8809.html, more than they're worth but not a wallet breaker by any means.
Joseph J. Clune

Panache

Quote from: shuman14 on December 04, 2013, 05:56:30 AM
Bored and did a little reseach and compiled a list of all National Guard unit awards for reference. In alphabetical Order:

I don't think I can ever get that bored.

UH60guy

Two things would make my counter argument to doing it like we do in the Army...

First, CAP as a USAF Aux should mirror USAF unit awards. I'm in the Army too and my understanding of the USAF is limited, but even a cursory Wikipedia search of USAF unit citations shows they're unframed except for the Presidential Unit Citation. I wouldn't go too far down the road of National Guard stuff as a) we can't wear it as a federal organization and b) you're going to get 50 different cultures of how things are done.

Second, unlike the Army, CAP and USAF ribbon racks do not allow the 1/8 inch spacing between ribbons. Frames are fine when in the Army we wear the ribbons on the right... but when converting my Army rack to an Army-CAP combined one I can vouch that it is a royal pain to get those frames on and off in the middle. Even on the USAF-sized versions of Army unit awards, those frames just don't fit well when other ribbons are adjacent.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Panache on December 04, 2013, 07:19:22 AM

+100. This confirms my "theory" that if you really want to work for CAP, it's possible to make the time. It may require posting less in CAP Talk and not doing unnecessary/irrelevant research, but it's definitely doable. ;)

Private Investigator

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 21, 2013, 01:33:22 AM

Go navy!!

The Hudson High vs Canoe U. Mud Wrestling Championship only matters to those who actually attended these  institutions go lower learning.

Just like the UCLA-USC game last weekend. How many posers went to that game? BTW what is happening at Petticoat Junction High School?  8)

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 04, 2013, 04:23:09 PM

Go navy!!

Just like the UCLA-USC game last weekend. How many posers went to that game? BTW what is happening at Petticoat Junction High School?  8)

Do I sense a disgruntled Trojan fan here? >:D

Shuman 14

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 04, 2013, 03:10:22 PM

+100. This confirms my "theory" that if you really want to work for CAP, it's possible to make the time. It may require posting less in CAP Talk and not doing unnecessary/irrelevant research, but it's definitely doable. ;)

When you're sitting in a guard shack at 0300 and nothing is going on, you find things to occupy your mind. This was my my mind game last night.
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: UH60guy on December 04, 2013, 01:33:07 PM
Two things would make my counter argument to doing it like we do in the Army...

First, CAP as a USAF Aux should mirror USAF unit awards. I'm in the Army too and my understanding of the USAF is limited, but even a cursory Wikipedia search of USAF unit citations shows they're unframed except for the Presidential Unit Citation. I wouldn't go too far down the road of National Guard stuff as a) we can't wear it as a federal organization and b) you're going to get 50 different cultures of how things are done.

Second, unlike the Army, CAP and USAF ribbon racks do not allow the 1/8 inch spacing between ribbons. Frames are fine when in the Army we wear the ribbons on the right... but when converting my Army rack to an Army-CAP combined one I can vouch that it is a royal pain to get those frames on and off in the middle. Even on the USAF-sized versions of Army unit awards, those frames just don't fit well when other ribbons are adjacent.

That's why I a mini-thin rack done up and don't have to deal with it.  ;)

Joseph J. Clune

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on December 05, 2013, 02:06:18 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 04, 2013, 03:10:22 PM

When you're sitting in a guard shack at 0300 and nothing is going on, you find things to occupy your mind. This was my my mind game last night.

Fair enough. But the majority of CAP staff work can be done at home (or in a guard shack) when you don't have much else going on.

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on December 04, 2013, 06:27:12 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on December 04, 2013, 04:23:09 PM

Go navy!!

Do I sense a disgruntled Trojan fan here? >:D

Not here, my ex is a USC alumni. They got what they deserve  ;)