An offer I couldn't refuse...

Started by AlphaSigOU, October 13, 2013, 12:46:21 AM

AlphaSigOU

Had to keep it on the down low until now but I've just been appointed Alabama Wing Director of Professional Development at the wing commander's call at Maxwell AFB today. Add another zero in front of the decimal point for me... and may God have mercy on my soul!  ;D

I may be a wing 'staff weenie' but I still support my local squadron, Redstone Composite (SER-AL-119).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Panache

Congratulations and/or my condolences!

arajca

That's what you get for stepping out ot take a phone call or something at a commander's call and/or wing staff meeting... >:D

Seriously though, Congratulations and good luck.

ColonelJack

Congratulations!  Where do we send the flowers?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

spaatzmom

Congratulations and sympathies.  I'm sure the positives will out number the negatives in the long run.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I enjoyed my time as Director of Professional Development. You have a great deal of influence on the training of up and coming officers.

Woodsy

Wait, you were actually there, and you still got appointed?  It's usually the guy who doesn't show up /  can't say no that gets it!  haha!

In all seriousness, congratulations.  I love serving at the wing level.  You will have an opportunity to make a difference and help people all over your wing. 

Camas

I enjoyed my eight years at wing. Six of those I served as the wing DPD. It's a great opportunity for anyone who has the chance to serve at this level. But I gotta tell ya - I'm happy to be back at the unit level.

JC004

OH NO!  Just know that we're here to support you and there are bunches of recovering wing staff officers/directors here to do so.   8)

bosshawk

When I was active in CAP, I served on the Wing Staff for six years: three as the Deputy Director of Counter Drug OPs and three as the Director.  Good years because we had a real, meaningful operation and supported a bunch of civilian and military law enforcement organizations.  We flew about 35% of the Wing's aircraft hours, so it wasn't a small, insignificant operation.  During all of those years, I also continued to attend weekly squadron meetings and flew the Sq aircraft on real, live missions.  Had the best of both worlds.  Of course, I had a great staff who made life good for me and for the Wing.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

^Those were the days.....  and why I got into CAP.  Great people, real missions.  Is any if that stuff even still going on anymore?   Funny.... I have a CD ribbon and rate at least 4 clasps and never put in a 2a for any of them :)

Simplex

Congratulations, as a PDO at the Squadron level I can only imagine the challenges and rewards at the Wing level. Best of luck!

Private Investigator

Chuck, you want some cheese to go with your whine?

This is like my fifth Wing Staff job and my fourth time on Wing. The previous times I always participated at a Squadron but this move put me at a Squadron that wants to reinvent the CAP wheel; really a Cadet Squadron posing as a Composite so they can beg for a corporate plane.  ::)

Private Investigator

Quote from: CapCapt on October 14, 2013, 04:04:24 PM
Congratulations, as a PDO at the Squadron level I can only imagine the challenges and rewards at the Wing level. Best of luck!

Actually at the Wing we just put events on the calendar and the Squadron PDOs end up being the Project Officers for SLS, CLC, etc, etc. Then usually you will pick Directors and staff for those activities. Being a Squadron PDO, even when they called it "Senior Programs Officer", was a favorite staff assignment because you will know everything, generally, in CAP.  8)