Billy Mitchell Test

Started by Cjthom1728, October 08, 2013, 01:52:21 AM

Cjthom1728

I am beginning to study for the Billy Mitchell test. I understand that there is an immense amount of studying needed to do well on the test. Does any one have any other advice for success such as outside resources from which to study or personal experiences? 
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

a2capt

You've been studying for the last 8 chapters.
That's one of your best resources.

Understand the material. Not just memorize the words.

Huey Driver

Besides L2L, don't forget:

• AFMAN 36-2203, Air Force Drill and Ceremonies, chapters 4 and 5
  • CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual, chapters 1 and 5
  • CAPR 52-16, Cadet Programs Management, chapters 1, 4, and 5
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

coudano

don't forget the aerospace as well

Jaison009

Quote from: coudano on October 08, 2013, 10:54:25 AM

There are some decent power points that were developed for SMs taking the Yeager exam. You might review them as a secondary source behind the book.

jeders

Quote from: Jaison009 on October 08, 2013, 12:27:09 PM

There are some decent power points that were developed for SMs taking the Yeager exam. You might review them as a secondary source behind the book.

Except that the Yeager test uses a different book than the enlisted aerospace books.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Yep. The AE modules are used for both, Mitchell and Earhart tests.

Jaison009

Quote from: jeders on October 08, 2013, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: Jaison009 on October 08, 2013, 12:27:09 PM

Except that the Yeager test uses a different book than the enlisted aerospace books.

That is why I suggested them as a secondary. I know they are from the old text but a lot of the info presented was carried over into the new AE curriculum . Parts of the plane, flight systems, principles, weather fundamentals, etc. don't change and the ppts are effective as a secondary visual learning tool past the student text. I remember how hard the old test was as I earned all of my milestone awards using the curriculum. I have not found any ppts of the existing AE text through the "AE downloads and resources" section of eServices.

jeders

Quote from: Jaison009 on October 08, 2013, 04:47:25 PM
I know they are from the old text

It's not the old text, it's a totally different text, and covers a great deal more than what is in the AE modules.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Cjthom1728

As far as the leadership test go, should my focus be to understand and achieve a "working knowledge" of the material rather than the ability to recite definitions and quotations from the regulations and leadership chapters? Or should I be able to do both?
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

jeders

Hopefully, you already have a working knowledge of the material. It shouldn't be necessary to be able to recite verbatim what is in the text. But most of all remember that it is a multiple guess test, just like all the others; so if you are able to think through the problem and use the process of elimination in a timely manner, then you'll have no problem.

As for what you should study, go through the main points of each chapter of the text. If you understand those and you're able to fill out the answer sheet properly, you're going to pass.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on October 08, 2013, 06:24:19 PM
Hopefully, you already have a working knowledge of the material. It shouldn't be necessary to be able to recite verbatim what is in the text. But most of all remember that it is a multiple guess test, just like all the others; so if you are able to think through the problem and use the process of elimination in a timely manner, then you'll have no problem.

As for what you should study, go through the main points of each chapter of the text. If you understand those and you're able to fill out the answer sheet properly, you're going to pass.

WIWAC, I got to a point where certain things I could tell were in Chapter X or Page Y of the L2000+ books. That said, I came into my Mitchell with around 2.5 years in CAP, and had no trouble with it. Granted, different material than now, but what probably helped was multiple re-readings of the text overall through those 2.5 years. Back when it was one test with one hundred questions (AE+Leadership). Took me 9 minutes 42 seconds. Got an 86% (or was it an 84? Can't quite recall now).

jeders

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 08, 2013, 06:38:25 PM
Took me 9 minutes 42 seconds. Got an 86% (or was it an 84? Can't quite recall now).

It took me a little longer than that, but I got a 98, my now wife got a 96. She's still sore about that one. Actually, we both missed the same question on the aerospace portion about weather fronts, as I recall.

I did so well because I had gained a good knowledge of the material over time. Also, I taught classes on most of the leadership and aerospace chapters, which certainly helped.

Майор Хаткевич

That's the rub of it. Learning and applying the material. I didn't study for the test, I went in assuming my knowledge will get me there. Same day I turned in my Armstrong essay, did the speech, passes the PT for it, mentored two cadets on their AE. Got credit for Armstrong, passes the Mitchell, and helped a cadet study and pass his WBA after many attempts prior. Probably my most productive single meeting.

By the time I took the Earhart, it was split into two tests, but I again took both without specific study time, scored in the mid 80s, but it took a bit longer - 15 minutes. I've always been good at multiple choice, and found that if I know the material/like the subject, the tests are a breeze. Not so for others, so I always suggest cadets tackle at least 1-2 chapters a week in preparation. I hound our new first lieutenants to start studying for the Earhart asap.

Cjthom1728

Thank you very much for these responses! I was concerned that I would have to be able to recite the regulations and L2L verbatim in order to pass the test.
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

Майор Хаткевич

The questions will be like those on the online tests.