Main Menu

Preemptive Membership

Started by FlyingThorn, October 03, 2013, 05:01:11 PM

FlyingThorn

That's probably not the best word to describe it.
Basically what I was wondering is if it would be wise/if it is allowed for someone to join before they are able to attend meetings. I'm currently attending a rural university, with the nearest squadron ~35 miles away. I go home for the holidays and for the summer, and so those are the only times for which I would be able to contribute. What is the standard practice for this? I'm sure I can't be the first person in this kind of situation. I was thinking of joining during the holidays so that by the time I get back for the summer, I will have been able to complete the basic online intro courses and professional development, and with that completed I would be able to focus on any RL training.
Am I making much sense here?

lordmonar

You can join as a PATRON member.  That is a dues paying supporter of CAP.   If/when you choose to become more active it is fairly easy to change your status.

It is also possible to just work with your unit commander and work out "a deal".  I personally had a member who lived out of the country.....doing guverment work......it was no problem. 

So.....yes it is possible....yes it is doable......you should check with your perspective commander.

Thanks for considering joining CAP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

Since you are in college, you will be a senior member, and not have the attendance requirements like cadets do.

One of the great things of being a senior member is that there are some jobs that don't require active attendance, and that your work can be done off-site.

Best answer is to talk to the Commander of your closest unit. 
Of course, I drive 85 miles one way for my weekly meetings.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

While I'm not a new member, I do work for my squadron which is over 300 miles away.  You can contribute without being on site.  Though for many reasons, your prospective new squadron commander will almost undoubtedly want to meet you first before signing off on any applications (as might the squadron's membership board, if they utilize one).

Talk to the squadron commander, off to him or her that you'd like to help the unit, and mention that you might even be interested in ways you could contribute to the unit remotely.

Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

EMT-83

I think that's an important difference; an experienced member who moves away from the unit, versus a brand new person who hasn't a clue about the program. I really don't see any value for the squadron or the member.

Eclipse

+1

The new membership rules are going to require new member boards with interviews and a vote on the new member.
I can't imagine people who can't be around much, especially their first 6 months to a year are going to be getting through
those.

It's not the Correspondence Air Patrol.

If you can't be around, there isn't going to be a lot of value for you or the unit, just wait until you have time, and join when you
can be around.  Since you're not coming in as a cadet, there's no specific hurry in joining.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Will you have a vehicle with you at your university? If you're really interested, why not make the relatively local one your main squadron? Sure it's 35 miles, but hey that's not that long of a drive (my daily drive to work is the same) if you got some good music or what not.

Also, ask yourself what your reason is for joining CAP. Can you accomplish that only being present three months of the year? If not, it might be more beneficial to you to wait until you graduate if you don't want to go to the squadron near the university.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Майор Хаткевич

I joined CAP as a cadet 10 years ago. 5 years in I had to disengage due to going off to college. Made a few summer visits, but nothing productive came of it until I moved back to my home area and had a vehicle. You get what you put in, and it will br real hard to put in much with sporadic participation, especially early on in your career as a SM.