Airmen warned to avoid yogurt containing hemp seed oil

Started by Eclipse, September 09, 2013, 11:45:18 PM

Eclipse

Honestly, I'd expect a story like this on Duffle Blog or The Onion, because it has Urban Legend written all over it,
but forewarned is forearmed.

"The Air Force is concerned that your next trip down the dairy aisle could make you look like a pothead.
Servicemembers have been told to avoid Blueberry Power Chobani Flip Greek yogurt because it comes with hemp seeds, according to an Air Force press release.
Chobani has agreed to remove the hemp seeds from the product, according to the release.
Hemp seeds and seed oil can contain tetrahydrocannabinol, an active ingredient of marijuana, according to Air Force Instruction 44-121, and is detectable by a drug test. "

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/stripes-central/stripes-central-1.8040/yogurt-might-cause-servicemembers-to-fail-drug-test-1.239373

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130826/NEWS/308260043/Air-Force-bans-Greek-yogurt-hemp-seed

Don't be alarmed...
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/?hemp_in_yogurt&show=entry&blogID=1098

Seinfeld Drug Testing 2

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Why do we care as CAP what our member's eat?

The only reason why the USAF bans eating it....is because it can cause you to test positive and they want to stop any drug users from claiming "Oh....I had a yogurt and a Jones soda this morning".

It is not like it can get you high or anything.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

spaatzmom

No urban legend on this or any food with poppy seeds.  Both with have you come up positive on a drug screen.  If your job does random screenings this could be a big problem.

Critical AOA

You have to eat a ton of poppy seeds to pop positive on a test.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 10, 2013, 12:13:21 AM
You have to eat a ton of poppy seeds to pop positive on a test.
No according to Snopes.....just read up on it....seems it only takes four or so the day prior to give you a positive result.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Old news in the AF.  There is only one flavor in particular this impacts.  Also there is a specific threshold that you have to meet or exceed to pop hot.  Now that does not give an AF member an excuse to consume or ingest or inhale something containing THC, but there has been some homework done on this.

Critical AOA

If you look at the years of the cases on snopes, you will notice that they are quite a few years ago.  The standards have been raised dramatically.  The standard was once very low at 300 ng/ml.  Now most federal standards are set at 2000 ng/ml and the military actually uses 3000.  So, yep, you'd need to eat a lot.   I eat poppy seeds and I have been tested randomly as well as pre-employment throughout my career.  Never got busted for it.

Aviation professionals know these things.  ;D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM
Old news in the AF.  There is only one flavor in particular this impacts. 

Interesting - looks like Chobani pulled a lot of stuff from the shelves last week:
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm367298.htm

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2013, 01:08:02 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on September 10, 2013, 12:23:40 AM
Old news in the AF.  There is only one flavor in particular this impacts. 

Interesting - looks like Chobani pulled a lot of stuff from the shelves last week:
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm367298.htm

I have email traffic on it this is a couple weeks old.

SarDragon

Not too long before I retired, I ate two teaspoons of poppy seeds on a lark. Got selected for a random whiz quiz about two weeks later. No problem.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

What's the problem, just blame it on your metabolism. Floyd Landis did.

raivo

I got the e-mail about this a week or two ago.

You will not test positive on a urinalysis for eating this particular yogurt, unless you're eating ridiculous amounts of it. However... consuming hemp products is in violation of AF regulations, and can therefore be prosecuted under the UCMJ. Just because you don't pi- sorry, "whizz" hot on a drug test doesn't mean that you can't be convicted of consuming prohibited substances.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Critical AOA

I guess that would mean that you have to be sure to read the ingredients of every thing you consume. I'm not sure what percentage of the population does that.

PHall

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 11, 2013, 12:10:16 AM
I guess that would mean that you have to be sure to read the ingredients of every thing you consume. I'm not sure what percentage of the population does that.

If you're in the Air Force these days and you want to stay in the Air Force you do.
Because this is the era of the "No mistake Air Force".
Fail a wizz quiz or get a DUI and they start the out processing procedures.

Johnny Yuma

One of my ex-Wing Commanders had foster kids, many of them that they had were juvie offenders subject to UA's. Social workers told them not to feed them poppy or hemp seeds as the testing process gave false positives for them. Apparently the private social service agencies in charge of these kids were more interested in cutting costs with cheap quality tests than being certain if a kid had a real dope problem or not.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: