Interesting, though I find it odd

Started by Alaric, September 01, 2013, 08:09:16 PM

Alaric

Was reading the newsfeed from CAP during the conference and came across this

"At the CAP banquet on Saturday night the 1st Air Force Commander's Award was presented jointly to the Middle East, Northeast, and Great Lakes region commanders honoring our three regions' joint response to Sandy"

Surprised that nothing has flown down from the region commanders thanking the people who actually did the work, or as happened after Deepwater Horizon, the Wings in the regions were not awarded the National Commander's Unit Citation, I know that people from as far away as Illinois came to respond, and we in the Northeast were happy to have them.

Eclipse

There was plenty of traffic regarding decorations.  I was under the impression they would be awarded at the national conference.

I was apparently mistaken.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Next month (well, actually, this month) my wing will be holding an awards ceremony for those who participated in the Sandy response.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Alaric

I have found that a problem more in the Northern and Eastern Wings that I have been a member of.  As far as I know not a single member or unit of the CT Wing has received a decoration (other than the Disaster Service Ribbon) in regards to Sandy, and there were plenty of both doing really good jobs.  It does not seem from a rank and file members point of view, that Wing leadership is committed to recognizing its volunteers

Alaric

Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2013, 08:48:38 PM
Next month (well, actually, this month) my wing will be holding an awards ceremony for those who participated in the Sandy response.

Which wing is that?

NIN

Quote from: robaroth on September 01, 2013, 08:51:59 PM
Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2013, 08:48:38 PM

Which wing is that?

NH
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TeamBronx

At the NY Wing Conference in May, many members were recognized with awards for Sandy participation.  Exceptional and Meritorious Service Awards were presented as well as Commander Commendations (awarded by the National CC) and Disaster Relief Ribbons with "V" devices.  All in all I would guestimate that at least twenty-five senior and cadet members were recognized.

capmaj

Must be sparodic depending on the Wing CC, as I know that MAWG handed out Sandy awards a few months ago. And it included those awarded by the National CC.

MSG Mac

The Maryland Wing Commander announced that he had awards (ESA, MSA, CC, etc) to be awarded at the Wing Conference in November.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Huey Driver

NJWG distributed their upper-level medals/ribbons/decorations at our wing conference in July, and all 150+ members from NJ involved were presented with the Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Certificate in a folder, along with the personnel action document.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Майор Хаткевич

Our Illinois members who went over for sandy received nat. Citations.

Walkman

MIWG awarded Exceptional/Meritorious Service Awards as well as Commander Commendations and Disaster Relief Ribbons with "V" devices at Wing Conference this past spring. We sent 3 aircrews. One of our guys was Area Commander and another was Air Boss. Our Area CC was also awarded Region and Nat'l awards for his work during Sandy, including 2013 Ed Lewis Incident Staff Member of the Year. Our team also was given the 1st AF award in Denver.

Private Investigator

Quote from: robaroth on September 01, 2013, 08:51:38 PMIt does not seem from a rank and file members point of view, that Wing leadership is committed to recognizing its volunteers

I thought that at one time too. But the way it is, is different Wing Commanders have different expectations. Some give out awards freely and others email a "thank you" and that is it. We do have "OTY" awards but then some Squadron Commanders overlook that too.

In closing I would say, it is what it is ...  ;)

Alaric

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 02, 2013, 10:55:22 PM
Quote from: robaroth on September 01, 2013, 08:51:38 PMIt does not seem from a rank and file members point of view, that Wing leadership is committed to recognizing its volunteers

I thought that at one time too. But the way it is, is different Wing Commanders have different expectations. Some give out awards freely and others email a "thank you" and that is it. We do have "OTY" awards but then some Squadron Commanders overlook that too.

Regardless of their expectations, if they are being recognized, they should be smart enough to flow it down.  Were I king for a day, I would reply all Commanders regardless of level to take IS-244 (Managing and Recognizing Volunteers) or a similar course. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: robaroth on September 02, 2013, 11:14:47 PM

Regardless of their expectations, if they are being recognized, they should be smart enough to flow it down.  Were I king for a day, I would reply all Commanders regardless of level to take IS-244 (Managing and Recognizing Volunteers) or a similar course.

AND ... 

If you give everyone a ComCom then it really does not mean anything. When I was at Group I had a Squadron Commander who had twelve (12) Cadets and he put each one in for a ComCom. Why? Because on his son's little league team everyone got a trophy so why not in CAP?   ::)

Alaric

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 03, 2013, 01:08:10 AM

AND ...   ::)

Your last remark seems to add nothing to the discussion were you trying to make a point? 

Eclipse

AND ... 

If you give everyone a ComCom then it really does not mean anything. When I was at Group I had a Squadron Commander who had twelve (12) Cadets and he put each one in for a ComCom. Why? Because on his son's little league team everyone got a trophy so why not in CAP?

Did they get them or did you bounce them back.?

What was the actual justification on the 120?

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on September 03, 2013, 01:40:27 AM
AND ... 

If you give everyone a ComCom then it really does not mean anything. When I was at Group I had a Squadron Commander who had twelve (12) Cadets and he put each one in for a ComCom. Why? Because on his son's little league team everyone got a trophy so why not in CAP?

That was weird nothing appeared after the AND when I looked at it

Alaric

AND ... 

If you give everyone a ComCom then it really does not mean anything. When I was at Group I had a Squadron Commander who had twelve (12) Cadets and he put each one in for a ComCom. Why? Because on his son's little league team everyone got a trophy so why not in CAP?   ::)

I would agree, I'd love to see standardized award criteria.  By the same token, recognizing the leaders, without recognizing the subordinates who did the work, causes friction, resentment, and encourages further separation between (Wing/Region) and the subordinate organization.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on September 03, 2013, 01:40:27 AM
AND ... 

I bounced it back. Every Cadet regardless if they have been in for two years or two months had the same narrative, "Exceptional Cadet with positive attitude."