Anyone from Civil Air Patrol know how NYSARTAC or LISAR is like?

Started by es9343, July 23, 2013, 01:27:10 AM

es9343

These are the two search and rescue academies for NY Wing. Anybody who has been to one of these two or one similar, please tell me how it is. I want to know about like the daily schedule and various activities that we do. The more detail the better!
Thanks

arajca

Have you tried to contact the staff from either activity? That's your best bet for current, accurate information.

Luis R. Ramos

NYSARTAC and LIGSAR are the same entity.

A few years ago Long Island Group started this academy. A few years later, the Wing adopted it as the academy for all of New York ES.

Wish I could tell you more.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SARTAC Medic

I know this is an almost dead topic, but I came across it during a search and wanted to help if there were still any questions.

LIGSAR (Long Island Group Search and Rescue) and NY Wing SARTAC (New York Wing Search and Rescue Training Academy) are two separate entities, albeit LIGSAR morphed into what is now SARTAC.

When LIGSAR was started the idea was to standardize the training the Group was getting for ES.  After approzximately 5 years (give of take) the Wing commander, who was a HUGE proponent for LIGSAR concept asked a few of us on the staff of LIGSAR to come up with a training program for the wing.   What followed is SARTAC.   

It as originally only ground training with LIGSAR but has become three separate training groups.   Ground, Air, and Mission Support.   The training is very much standardized with some variety thrown to keep it interesting.    There is a metric buttload of information on our website at http://www.nysartac.org about all the three groups.   We are currently accepting applications for the Ground Training Group Class 1401 and Air Crew School Class 1401.   Look at the website for information about each.   GTG is being held on Long Island from Feb 15-Feb 18.   We can even accomidate some out of town students with proper notification and coordination with the admin officer. 

Since you asked, the GTG is split into two phases  Education and Training and Operations.   During education phase you learn and practice all the skills needed to become qualified at the level which you are training GTM-1/2/3, GBD, OSC, PSC.... and during the operations phase we run SAREX type missions to get the actual missions you need to become certified.   Usually we run two missions during the academy, and students will need to attend a third mission as a trainee before they can be signed off completely.   

The training is rigorous, but we have had both cadets and OLDER seniors attend and complete all training and RETURN for another academy in the future.   It is NOT a bivouac where you can expect to come and sit around, joking with your buddies and playing around a camp fire.   You will be trained and tested to an operational level and will be expected to perform in all conditions, as you would during actual missions.   We have had GTG sessions where cadets bedded down for the night and awoke to 5 inches of snow the following morning.    What a fun year that was!   You will be expected to pack properly and at times carry your 72 hour pack.  You will be expected to build an improvised shelter and spend a night in it (SAFETY SPOILER: Our staff ensure life and safety of our students at all times and monitor weather conditions to ensure proper health and CAP regulations are followed at all times).

There are some requirements and prerequesites that are needed to attend, and full information can be found on the web site at http://www.nysartac.org.    If you feel that this is something that you would like to try your hand at (it is A LOT more fun in person then you can expect)  then feel free to contact me, or go through the website for more information.  You can also find us on Facebook.  The Academy has a facebook page because we are cool. 
NY Wing SARTAC

Alaric

I was looking forward to taking their LO/PIO course but it was cancelled for next weekend.  I've heard good things.