Main Menu

Promotion Boards

Started by ARandomCadet, July 01, 2013, 04:47:27 AM

ARandomCadet

So my squadron is going to be opening up promotion boards at our next meeting, and as long as I pass PT that night I will be going up for a promotion board and I wanted to know what to expect. I am in Boy Scouts and we have to go to a board of review which is where you are tested on your knowledge and asked questions by a panel of adults, is this similar to what I should expect or are promotion boards different. I want to have a little bit of knowledge of what a promotion board is so I am not stunned by one and can be prepared. Thanks.

SarDragon

Promotion boards differ from unit to unit. Some follow the regs; some do not. If this is something new at your unit, you'll just need to go with the flow. No one on here will have specific knowledge. If your unit has done them before, ask other cadets who have been through one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Totally depends on your unit, but if you lookup CAPF 50, that should be the basis of whats' going on.

Want the real answer? As your chain of command.

ARandomCadet

Thanks for the answers, I will ask my flight sergeant on Wednesday while playing FSX (he and I are good friends, as I have mentioned in other posts) with him at his house. On a totally unrelated note, can you get hours for training in a flight sim?

SarDragon

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 01, 2013, 05:50:15 AM
On a totally unrelated note, can you get hours for training in a flight sim?

Only on an FAA approved unit, and only under certain circumstances. MSFS doesn't count.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SarDragon on July 01, 2013, 06:13:25 AM
Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 01, 2013, 05:50:15 AM
On a totally unrelated note, can you get hours for training in a flight sim?

Only on an FAA approved unit, and only under certain circumstances. MSFS doesn't count.
Ok thanks, since he has started flight training and I am going to when I turn 14 I was wondering. I had heard mixed answers from different places, and wanted to figure it out before I started building one at my house and flying with him using the multiplayer feature I heard about.

BillB

Only FAA approved flight simulator such as Redbird can be logged. and also requires a flight instructors signoff. So using as sim at home does not count.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Storm Chaser

Make sure you know how to report in and make sure you salute once dismiss. Sit at attention unless instructed to be at ease. Reply to questions with sir or ma'am as appropriate. Be familiar with CAPF 50 and be prepared to answer questions accordingly. Make sure you can recite the Cadet Oath and it wouldn't hurt to know who Curry was, just in case they ask.

Other than that, just relax. While promotion boards vary from unit to unit, a promotion board for C/Amn shouldn't be very stressful. Good luck!