Uniform Organizer

Started by ARandomCadet, June 19, 2013, 05:13:05 AM

ARandomCadet

Has anybody else seen this? I'm asking my parents for it for Christmas.
http://www.paradestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1126
Also any thing that I should get for my blues uniform to help it look good (heard that people should get the boards for ribbons that can be used to help with name tags), since I want to look good in uniform?

SarDragon

Well, since you're not going to be transporting uniforms around in the same manner the AD folks do, I personally think it would be a waste of money. A small/medium suitcase and a hangup bag will do fine for your current needs, including encampment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

You would only need that for honor guard or color guard.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Brad

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:13:05 AM
(heard that people should get the boards for ribbons that can be used to help with name tags)

You mean this?

Seriously Cadet, take a step back and breathe. Between my time in high school and now I've been in uniform for 13 years, and cardboard works quite fine, no need to shell out $3 on fancy backers and another $5 on shipping.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Private Investigator

NC Hokie

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:13:05 AM
Also any thing that I should get for my blues uniform to help it look good (heard that people should get the boards for ribbons that can be used to help with name tags), since I want to look good in uniform?

Those are called enforcers, and you'd be better off buying an 8.5" x 11" white foam sheet from a local craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) to make your own.  Cardboard works too, but it's a little stiffer and not as durable.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Storm Chaser

It may look "cool", but I recommend that you don't waste your money on this. There are better things you can spend $75 on.

UH60guy

Not sure you would need even the cardboard box. How much travelling are you doing with your uniform? If you're just wearing it to and from local CAP meetings, the best place to store stuff is hanging in a closet so they don't get fold marks or crumpled. CAP doesn't use the military crease (vertical fold lines on front) on the shirts, so ironing and storing folded like in your proposed uniform box actually makes more work for you to clean up before meetings and decreases your professional appearance.

On the rare occasions you pack your blues for a week (like encampment), just put them on a hangar and carry in a garment bag that you can get for under $10. As an active duty (TM) uniform wearer, I can vouch that's the simplest, cleanest, cheapest option, with the bonus that it keeps your stuff looking nice without fold/crumple marks.

I will caveat that with the fact that yes, I acknowledge that the product exists, but consider who it is for. The picture has a Navy uniform in it- I'm not sure, but they may use the military crease and actually wear their bus driver round hats, but they also travel a lot more on official business than a CAP cadet. Also keep in mind, there are a plethora of websites, stores, and products that exist solely to take the money of military members for things they really don't need.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Danger

Cadet Rainey, hold your horses. For one, Christmas is a really long way away, unless they do it differently in Texas. All you'll have is the short sleeve blues with no tie, most likely. Just worry about promoting and learning about CAP, that definitely takes precidence over storing your uniform in a fancy box. If you're storing or traveling with your blues, use cost hangars. Bam, done. Cheap and simple.
"Never take anything too seriously."

ARandomCadet

Quote from: UH60guy on June 19, 2013, 03:12:52 PM
Not sure you would need even the cardboard box. How much travelling are you doing with your uniform? If you're just wearing it to and from local CAP meetings, the best place to store stuff is hanging in a closet so they don't get fold marks or crumpled. CAP doesn't use the military crease (vertical fold lines on front) on the shirts, so ironing and storing folded like in your proposed uniform box actually makes more work for you to clean up before meetings and decreases your professional appearance.

On the rare occasions you pack your blues for a week (like encampment), just put them on a hangar and carry in a garment bag that you can get for under $10. As an active duty (TM) uniform wearer, I can vouch that's the simplest, cleanest, cheapest option, with the bonus that it keeps your stuff looking nice without fold/crumple marks.

I will caveat that with the fact that yes, I acknowledge that the product exists, but consider who it is for. The picture has a Navy uniform in it- I'm not sure, but they may use the military crease and actually wear their bus driver round hats, but they also travel a lot more on official business than a CAP cadet. Also keep in mind, there are a plethora of websites, stores, and products that exist solely to take the money of military members for things they really don't need.
I wouldn't be using this just for CAP, at times I will with my dad on business so my suit also goes in there perfectly. As the Navy has been trying to hook me in, and I am looking at a career in the Air Force or Coast Guard, I have a possibility at a military career. Also, I am involved in several organizations that require me to travel on official business, and those organizations have uniforms.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Danger on June 19, 2013, 03:40:01 PM
Cadet Rainey, hold your horses. For one, Christmas is a really long way away, unless they do it differently in Texas. All you'll have is the short sleeve blues with no tie, most likely. Just worry about promoting and learning about CAP, that definitely takes precidence over storing your uniform in a fancy box. If you're storing or traveling with your blues, use cost hangars. Bam, done. Cheap and simple.
You don't want to hear what happens to our suits and dress clothes when we put them on coat hangars, it is actually better for me to put my suit, blues uniform, or Boy Scout uniform, in a box like that. And it is safer, we always use rental cars while on business (my dads company pays for it), and it always gets trashed, and therefore would trash my blues uniform, suit, or Boy Scout uniform.

Danger

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:45:28 PM
You don't want to hear what happens to our suits and dress clothes when we put them on coat hangars, it is actually better for me to put my suit, blues uniform, or Boy Scout uniform, in a box like that. And it is safer, we always use rental cars while on business (my dads company pays for it), and it always gets trashed, and therefore would trash my blues uniform, suit, or Boy Scout uniform.

I didn't know C/AB's travel this much.. From what I have seen most basic's can't put their blues insignia on correctly. Let alone iron correctly. All I'm saying is this magic uniform box you're talking about will most likely be a waste of $75 and other items can get the job done. You're going to have a fun career in CAP and especially on CAPTalk. A more appropriate place to tell people how to fix CAP would be your local CAC.
"Never take anything too seriously."

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Danger on June 19, 2013, 03:56:44 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:45:28 PM

I didn't know C/AB's travel this much.. From what I have seen most basic's can't put their blues insignia on correctly. Let alone iron correctly. All I'm saying is this magic uniform box you're talking about will most likely be a waste of $75 and other items can get the job done. You're going to have a fun career in CAP and especially on CAPTalk. A more appropriate place to tell people how to fix CAP would be your local CAC.
Oh, I travel a lot. And that is why I can't attend encampment this summer. Not how much time I have, how many meetings I'm missing right now. If I didn't miss last week, I would promote next week.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2013, 04:01:57 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 04:00:00 PM
Oh, I travel a lot.

With your uniform?
Depends on what uniform. If it is to somewhere else across the country (like LA) than yes, my dad has his contacts there that are very important in status there. Sometimes it is just a suit (going to Dallas). Some are Boy Scout trips, and I take my uniform for that. So I do a lot of traveling, and depending on where and why, it can be different uniforms, or , a suit.

a2capt

Must be that school just let out..

jeders

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 04:19:01 PM
Oh, I travel a lot.

With your uniform?
Depends on what uniform. If it is to somewhere else across the country (like LA) than yes, my dad has his contacts there that are very important in status there.

You wear your CAP uniform to meet your dad's important contacts? Considering who your squadron commander is, I don't think that would be allowed.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ARandomCadet

Quote from: jeders on June 19, 2013, 04:32:29 PM
Oh, I travel a lot.

With your uniform?
Depends on what uniform. If it is to somewhere else across the country (like LA) than yes, my dad has his contacts there that are very important in status there.

You wear your CAP uniform to meet your dad's important contacts? Considering who your squadron commander is, I don't think that would be allowed.
I've never done that before, but my dad has friends from when he was a cop, that are now important politicians. In that case something more professional could be called on.

ARandomCadet

ColonelJack

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 04:48:49 PM
Quote from: jeders on June 19, 2013, 04:32:29 PM
Oh, I travel a lot.

With your uniform?

I've never done that before, but my dad has friends from when he was a cop, that are now important politicians. In that case something more professional could be called on.

Mister Rainey ...

Do I understand from your posts here that you wear your uniform when visiting Los Angeles with your father?  And you are a Texas-based cadet?

Does your squadron commander know about this?  (I ask because, under regulations, your squadron commander must grant permission for uniform wear at anything that is not a CAP-specific event...especially when in another state.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia