OpenAirplane.com A revolutionary new way to rent

Started by PilotMaximus, June 18, 2013, 09:00:38 PM

PilotMaximus

Im not sure who have heard of this or not, or if this has been on this thread before. This service allows one checkride a year to be all you need to rent a plane in multiple cities without the need of wasting time and money getting checked out everywhere you go. The Co-creator is a fellow CAP member as well. 

Here is the nice thing for CAP members, a Form 5 works for the checkride, just upload it you the pilot profile you create at OpenAirplane.

Certainly a cool new concept people and we should support a fellow members new business venture!

https://www.openairplane.com/

Critical AOA

I've been hearing about this for awhile.  Any idea how many FBOs and flight schools are onboard so far? The key will be a large nationwide network especially in popular vacation spots.  I think it is a great idea but am uncertain it will really takeoff anytine soon. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Cliff_Chambliss

I wish them a lot of luck.  However this is the third time this has been tried that I am aware of including one attempt at renting out airplanes through a car rental firm.   Insurance costs are going to be a big factor in going forward.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Eclipse

One of the priciples is from my area.

From my understanding, some technologies and policies they have in place have cracked some of the issues that were roadblocks
to similar services, not the least of which is adopting what is essentially the CAP Form 5 process to check-ride renters.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

It looks like they have 6 sites.  Chicago, Detroit, New York, Florida, LA, and Silicon Valley, 

https://www.openairplane.com/find/

Jaketj98

The key for open airplane to work will be having as many FBOs sign on as possible. I wish them lots of luck. If it had been available, the service would have saved me about $150 so far this year.

isuhawkeye

I know that I am reaching out to local FBOs to see if they will join in.

Jaketj98

Isu hawkeye? Is that a split personality?

Which fbo's are you talking to? Judging from your name, they might be near me

isuhawkeye

I reached out to Haps at AMW and Exec1 in Ankeny.