Air National Guard Questions

Started by Reno, June 18, 2013, 08:36:55 PM

Reno

Hey everyone!

I am a former C/CMSgt and FO from the Arkansas Wing. I graduate from Arkansas State next May. I'm looking at joining the Oklahoma Air Guard and moving to Tulsa. I've visited the Starbase Cadet Squadron there a few years ago on the ANG base. I imagine I'll reactivate in CAP and volunteer there. I talked to a recruiter from that base on the phone today. She said officer slots are hard to come by (obviously) and pretty much 1oo% of line officers are selected from the enlisted base with college degrees. If I enlisted what are the chances of being selected for officer training later on down the road? I have a 3.15 GPA right now. I'm sure I'll graduate with a 3.3 or so. Would my GPA matter with prior enlisted service? Is enlisted life in the Air Guard satisfying? The recruiter said she could more than likely get me in a Public Affairs billet. I'm a marketing management major so I think that would be a good fit. I enjoy writing/PR in general. Would the Army NG be a better option? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks everyone for your help!
-Andrew Reno
120th Composite Squadron
Jonesboro, AR
Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG

GroundHawg

I know that in Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana Air Guards, if you don't have a minimum of a 3.6 gpa you will not be considered and a 3.8 is competitive. Same goes for the USAF Reserves.

If you meet H/W, you should have no issues with getting a commission in the Army.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Reno on June 18, 2013, 08:36:55 PM
I talked to a recruiter from that base on the phone today. She said officer slots are hard to come by (obviously) and pretty much 1oo% of line officers are selected from the enlisted base with college degrees.

While I wouldn't necessarily say 100%, it's true that most officer positions are filled with current enlisted personnel. There's no hard rule for that, however enlisted personnel will get priority when it comes to the selection process.

If I enlisted what are the chances of being selected for officer training later on down the road?

It's hard to say as this will depend on several factors. First, there has to be an opening. Second, you have to qualify for it. Third, you have to be the best candidate for the position. One advantage you will have is that you will be known in your unit. If you do a good job, your chances will be greater. As an example, I joined in November 2000 as a SrA (prior active duty) and was selected and commissioned as a 2d Lt by April 2002.

I have a 3.15 GPA right now. I'm sure I'll graduate with a 3.3 or so. Would my GPA matter with prior enlisted service?

I wouldn't say it's the deciding factor, but you may be competing with others depending on your position and everything can make a difference. That being said, GPA may be a bigger player for non-prior service individuals than enlisted personnel. As an enlisted, they will be looking at your Enlisted Performance Reports (EPRs), Career Development Courses (CDCs), deployments and medals, Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT) scores, etc.

Is enlisted life in the Air Guard satisfying? The recruiter said she could more than likely get me in a Public Affairs billet. I'm a marketing management major so I think that would be a good fit. I enjoy writing/PR in general.

Military life is not for everyone. I, for one, enjoyed my time in the ANG (I'm in the USAFR now). But that's going to depend a lot on your unit and job.

Would the Army NG be a better option? Thoughts? Opinions?

No.

Thanks everyone for your help!
-Andrew Reno
120th Composite Squadron
Jonesboro, AR

You're welcomed and good luck!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Reno on June 18, 2013, 08:36:55 PM... She said officer slots are hard to come by (obviously) and pretty much 1oo% of line officers are selected from the enlisted base with college degrees. If I enlisted what are the chances of being selected for officer training later on down the road?

Would the Army NG be a better option? Thoughts? Opinions?

#1, can you pass the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test? Is your degree in engineering field? (Like they really do not need a P.E. or art degree person)

Are you thinking you want a full time Guard job or just weekend warrior? More and more enlisted personnel have two and four year degrees now. The military is a great career and nothing wrong with being enlisted.

Funny you mentioned Army Guard. Comparing Army to Air Force is like comparing apples and oranges. What you like better? When I was thinking about joining the military I thought about where did I want to go overseas. Asia or Europe? I wanted Asia and joined the Marines because I had no desire to go to Europe where the other services have bases.

Good luck.

UH60guy

As for the Army vs Air force (or Navy and Marines) think about what you want to DO, not just what branch you want to be in. That recruiter may have a public affairs slot, but is that something you're actually interested in? Take a look at all the services and see what jobs are available because once you put on the uniform it becomes a lot harder to switch. "Air Force" or "Army" isn't the job- but "public affairs," "fuel dog," "personnel clerk," etc. ARE jobs. Find what you want to do and for God's sake take your time to find the job you want before enlisting. Remember- the recruiter is on a time crunch to get you in a job. You're (hopefully?) not. You'll spend the next 8+years being assigned to whatever service you sign on for, so don't rush to make a decision. Take your time and wait for the option you want!

On the officer to enlisted side- remember that recruiters are always programmed to get you to enlist, even if you want to go officer. They don't get the credit for officer, so it's their own motivation steering you in that direction. And once you do, there's no guarantee they will send you to OCS. I had a friend who had a master's degree get talked into enlisting, and it took him about 6 years to be able to get to OCS and go officer. The Army has a program called "High School to Flight School" where people come straight in as warrant officers after basic training. Recruiters always try to steer people away from it, as again, they're only getting credit for filling certain enlisted MOSs. Now I highly respect enlisted service members and NCOs and I've seen many great ones- but if it's not something you're explicitly interested in doing permanently (again, no guarantee of OCS), then tread carefully around recruiters.

Now you say you're in college- I highly recommend swinging by the local ROTC department and talking with some of the cadre. Sure, it may be late to sign up for ROTC, but they may be able to point you in the right direction and tell you some more options. At least they're not trying to sell you an enlisted slot when what you want is officer. They may even be able to do a late join, I don't know of programs in place these days. I joined between my 3rd and 4th year (though I was on the 5 year plan) and did just two years of ROTC- the Army had a delayed entry ROTC program where I just did a summer camp to meet the requirements of the first two years. The USAF or other services may have something similar, or even options for rising seniors. You won't know unless you ask!

Best of luck out there, and I hope you are able to find what you want.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Reno

Thank you all for your input!

Quote from: UH60guy on June 19, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Now you say you're in college- I highly recommend swinging by the local ROTC department and talking with some of the cadre. Sure, it may be late to sign up for ROTC, but they may be able to point you in the right direction and tell you some more options. At least they're not trying to sell you an enlisted slot when what you want is officer. They may even be able to do a late join, I don't know of programs in place these days. I joined between my 3rd and 4th year (though I was on the 5 year plan) and did just two years of ROTC- the Army had a delayed entry ROTC program where I just did a summer camp to meet the requirements of the first two years. The USAF or other services may have something similar, or even options for rising seniors. You won't know unless you ask!

Best of luck out there, and I hope you are able to find what you want.

I appreciate the tip, sir! Thanks.
Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG