Main Menu

ID Card Curiosity

Started by ol'fido, June 17, 2013, 11:43:58 AM

ol'fido

My membership was due to expire on May 31. I renewed that day. One week later, I received my new ID card. Two weeks later, I received another ID card. The only difference I can see is the 4 digit number next to the bar code. So is this bureaucratic duplication? Not really an issue but it is curious. Thoughts?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ARandomCadet

Had the same thing happen to me except they showed up two days apart, also I am a new member not a renewed member.

RogueLeader

I ordered a second id right after I made Maj (which was a couple days after my renewal) and they are one digit off, so I'm guessing that they are a sequence number to the producer in batches of 9999, then they would recycle back to 0001.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

I got a new card in April. I just looked at it closely, and the 4 digit number next to the bar code is the last 4 of my SSAN.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 19, 2013, 02:11:16 AM
I got a new card in April. I just looked at it closely, and the 4 digit number next to the bar code is the last 4 of my SSAN.

Hmm...interesting - useful for base access when they want that info, but a potential persec issue as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

The four digit numbers on mine are meaningless to me. The bar codes seem similar just by eyeballing them.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006