Main Menu

New CAP pilot

Started by cadetbritton, June 12, 2013, 01:37:43 AM

cadetbritton

Hello,
I was wondering what is the first few steps to getting my pilots license in CAP.  I have done 2 O-flights and I just turned 15.  I know you need to be 16 to solo and 17 to get your license.  I want to start the process as early as possible so I can solo as soon as I turn 16.  I want to get my qualification in the Cessna 172, how many flying hours do I need for my license? And what is the price per hour to fly the 172? Thank you!

V/R
C/SSgt Britton

SJFedor

First off, welcome to Captalk.

Second off, search feature is your friend, there's several threads that delve into this.

You'll need to do several things, including finding a CAP CFI (or two, or three) who's willing to volunteer his/her time (hard), someone (parents) who are willing to put up the thousands of dollars it will cost (aircraft, fuel, ground school, books, equipment, test fees, etc), and have the blessing of your Wing/CC if you're using a 182 (most Wing/CC's like to know cadets are using the aircraft for flight training regardless of type, YMMV).

My advice, don't waste your (parents) money this early. Solo'ing as soon as your 16 is neat, but then you have an entire year to burn before you can do your checkride, and usually your solo XC's and other things shouldn't take that long.

Get your ground school out of the way FIRST, before you approach anyone and start asking them to teach you. Being able to show you've completed your ground school (completing the written examination is even better) will help your case a lot, and show you're serious about it, and the CAP CFI isn't wasting his/her time.

You won't be "qualified" in a 172 until you hold a private pilot or better rating, and complete a Form 5 checkride. You can be solo endorsed for the aircraft, however.

There's several of us on here (myself included) who did their private through CAP as a cadet. It helps tremendously if you have an aircraft at your unit, and an active senior flight program that doesn't mind interacting w/ cadets beyond the O-rides.

Good luck!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Your best bang for the buck would be to attend one of the Regional powered flight academies.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Just be careful climbing in and out of the plane on a windy day in your kilt.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

cadetbritton

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 12, 2013, 09:55:48 PM
Just be careful climbing in and out of the plane on a windy day in your kilt.

Ahahaha I'll try!

Quote from: SJFedor on June 12, 2013, 02:56:18 AM
First off, welcome to Captalk.

Second off, search feature is your friend, there's several threads that delve into this.

You'll need to do several things, including finding a CAP CFI (or two, or three) who's willing to volunteer his/her time (hard), someone (parents) who are willing to put up the thousands of dollars it will cost (aircraft, fuel, ground school, books, equipment, test fees, etc), and have the blessing of your Wing/CC if you're using a 182 (most Wing/CC's like to know cadets are using the aircraft for flight training regardless of type, YMMV).

My advice, don't waste your (parents) money this early. Solo'ing as soon as your 16 is neat, but then you have an entire year to burn before you can do your checkride, and usually your solo XC's and other things shouldn't take that long.

Get your ground school out of the way FIRST, before you approach anyone and start asking them to teach you. Being able to show you've completed your ground school (completing the written examination is even better) will help your case a lot, and show you're serious about it, and the CAP CFI isn't wasting his/her time.

You won't be "qualified" in a 172 until you hold a private pilot or better rating, and complete a Form 5 checkride. You can be solo endorsed for the aircraft, however.

There's several of us on here (myself included) who did their private through CAP as a cadet. It helps tremendously if you have an aircraft at your unit, and an active senior flight program that doesn't mind interacting w/ cadets beyond the O-rides.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!