IC1,2 or 3 - what does your Wing allow you to do

Started by Flyboy86, June 07, 2013, 03:46:47 PM

Flyboy86

The regulations do not provide guidance as to what different IC levels are authorized to do.
For example, can IC3 only do ELT missions?
Can IC2 do SAREX's
If there a limit based upon the number of operational air or ground sorties.
What level to work with adjacent wing?

CAPSGT

We don't have a firm rule but as a rule of thumb, we generally try to use IC2 or 1 for actual SAR missions requiring more than 2 or 3 assets at a time.  In a pinch we'll use an IC3 for one.  As for SAREXes, we let IC3s do them in large part to get the experience managing more assets in an environment where they can take things a little bit slower if necessary.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Eclipse

There is no specific definition of scope for the three IC levels.

My wing works under this general assumption:

IC3 - Overnight ELTs and other simple / n on evolving missions of limited scope.

IC2 - Wing-Level Sarex's and larger missions which may evolve or have a larger scope.

IC1 - Region-Level or Multi-Wing exercise or mission (i.e. area command)

This is one of those areas where one can surmise that the idea was implemented before the need, just like splitting the GT levels a few years back.
I would not be at all surprised to hear that some wings have an overly complex system for deciding what level of IC can do what. 

With few exceptions, you cannot rise to the level of IC without your abilities and weaknesses being known, so absent political nonsense, the best for the
job is usually picked from a >very< small group depending on availability, regard less of IC level.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I believe that there are some guidelines for this somewhere in the national (not CAP NHQ) ICS materials.  IIRC, most CAP operations wouldn't justify more than an IC3 under them (but its been a while since I've looked.)

NorCal21

This is actually a pretty darn good question. I've attended the IC school at NESA more than once and I have to say this question, nor any information related to it, was ever brought up in any of the training oddly enough.

I would think that an IC3 would have some capability of course, otherwise why bother with giving a rating to someone who can't do anything. The question is, as you asked, what does their rating give them in the way of operational responsibility.

I'll have to email Col. Norris about this. He's ALWG and the head of the ICS school at NESA.