Main Menu

OPSEC Training

Started by ARandomCadet, May 29, 2013, 10:53:45 PM

ARandomCadet

So I have recieved my CAPID number, and have an eServices account, but it says I need to complete OPSEC training (and I know I have to do it), but it won't let me complete OPSEC training. Heck, it doesn't even let me get past the page where I enter my CAPID number, name, and SSN. Well it gets past it but says that I am not registered with NHQ, but I recieved my CAPID number not only from my CC, but also CC. I would like a little help here.

MajorM

Make sure the email addy you are using is the same as the one you listed on your CAPF15.  If that doesn't work them see if your DCC can check your info in eServices and verify that your DOB is correct.

Last month NHQ transcribed the DOB numbers for a new cadet.  Ultimately we had to fax a memo to NHQ to get them to change the DOB.

SarDragon

Regarding the DOB error, it's likely the Form 15 was filled out wrong, because the form is Date of Birth (mm dd yy), and most people write dates as DD MM YY (5/30/13). That's why I double check every form I get my hands on to make sure the date is correct. I had some problems a while back when a cadet took CPPT, and they kicked it back because she wasn't old enough. It turns out that the numbers were in the wrong order on her Form 15.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

What did your chain of command say when you asked them?

MajorM

You're on the right track but its the opposite..  Most people write it mm dd yy (the same way we typically say it, "I was born November 11, 73) but the form is dd mm yy... (Who the heck says I was born 11 November 73?).  I'm assuming that's because it's military date format but I find it very annoying.

If there's anyone who won't understand the date format it's 12 year olds and their parents.

Of course online applications would solve that... Oh one can dream can't they?

Peeka

Quote from: SarDragon on May 30, 2013, 07:22:35 AM
most people write dates as DD MM YY (5/30/13).
Actually most people I know, including me, write in the mm/dd/yy format. But we don't write out the month name. I think that was what you were trying to say.

JeffDG

I work for an international company (we have offices all over the place), so I've given up on mm-dd-yy or dd-mm-yy or any other format that has the month as a number, and disambiguate as 30-May-2013...Regardless of where the person reading that is from, that date is clear and unambiguous.  I will abbreviate the month, so 30-Jan-2013 is cool too, but I use a 4 digit year (again, no possibility of confusing the day and year).

Luis R. Ramos

I also find confusing using only numbers for dates. And to be changing from CAP/Military to civilian even more so.After a few problems I had on those applications, I just decided to standardize on a format.

I use DD Mon (in letters) YYYY. In applications I will use numbers.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ARandomCadet

Thanks everybody. Sorry that I had to waste your time with this question, I later figured out that it wasn't the DOB, it is since I am new it can take several hours to process the eServices account.

Майор Хаткевич

My personal preference these days is 30MAY13. But I'm European so 05/30/13 made no sense to me.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: MajorM on May 30, 2013, 11:56:13 AM
You're on the right track but its the opposite..  Most people write it mm dd yy (the same way we typically say it, "I was born November 11, 73) but the form is dd mm yy... (Who the heck says I was born 11 November 73?).  I'm assuming that's because it's military date format but I find it very annoying.

If there's anyone who won't understand the date format it's 12 year olds and their parents.

I know some other kids who understand it ( I'm 12 ) and that's because their parents are either military, or a cop. I understand the format because my dad is retired LASD.

SarDragon

Well, I certainly botched that up! That's because they fixed the form! I copied the bold part of my post directly from the form, and it's not the same as the version I've had trouble with in the past.

I just looked at some older versions, and they are indeed DD MM YY, which people would fill in with numbers, in the incorrect order.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: cadetrainey on May 30, 2013, 08:54:58 PM
Quote from: MajorM on May 30, 2013, 11:56:13 AM

I know some other kids who understand it ( I'm 12 ) and that's because their parents are either military, or a cop. I understand the format because my dad is retired LASD.

Ahh, just a kid.  I remember when it was LASO.   ;)

Grumpy

Quote from: flyer333555 on May 30, 2013, 03:34:47 PM
I also find confusing using only numbers for dates. And to be changing from CAP/Military to civilian even more so.After a few problems I had on those applications, I just decided to standardize on a format.

Flyer

I hate using just numbers,  Is 07-08-13 July 8th of 13 or is it the 7th of August?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Grumpy on May 31, 2013, 03:56:52 PM
Quote from: flyer333555 on May 30, 2013, 03:34:47 PM

Flyer

I hate using just numbers,  Is 07-08-13 July 8th of 13 or is it the 7th of August?

To a European that's August, to most Americans that's July.