Command specialty track oddity

Started by capmaj, May 24, 2013, 04:37:55 PM

capmaj

I wonder why someone who is serving as the CC for a composite squadron that has a large number of Seniors but only a few cadets is granted a Technician rating under the Jump Start program.............. yet the person who is serving as DCC in the same unit that only has a few cadets is given the same training level?  Is there a valid reason for giving DCC's and DCS's that rating?   

Before anyone jumps........... I am not demeaning sqaudron level Deputies here, just wondering why they are given the same level as a CC.

jimmydeanno

I think it takes into consideration the "ideal unit" that wouldn't be just a few.  The reality is that most composite squadrons have a few seniors and about 10 cadets.  Heck, some senior squadrons are small.

If you take our national membership and divide it among the units, you'll realize that our squadrons are tiny for the most part.  So, even a sq cc at podunk sq isn't commanding too many people.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Patterson

Say your the Commander of "Super Squadron" with 130 total Members and its part of "Little Group".  Little Group has 5 other Squadrons; which together only total 100 members.

Why does the Deputy Commander of "Little Group" rate a higher quick start rating than the Commander of "Super Squadron"? 

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Patterson on May 25, 2013, 02:10:58 AM
Say your the Commander of "Super Squadron" with 130 total Members and its part of "Little Group".  Little Group has 5 other Squadrons; which together only total 100 members.

Why does the Deputy Commander of "Little Group" rate a higher quick start rating than the Commander of "Super Squadron"?

Because in either scenario the deputies are doing at least as much work and have similar responsibilities to the commander. That reminds me, I need to submit for my tech rating for my time as CDS.

capmaj

That's the point I was trying to make. Several units of over 100 Seniors only really support a couple of dozen (or less) cadets, yet the same weight is given to the CC as is the Deputy.

And another problem area is that many Wings no longer support Groups. That means that someone in the Command track has no realistic chance of progressing to the Senior level.  The next level for that person would have to be either as a Wing CC or Wing Vice. 99.999% of CAP members will never be in that position. So how does one than get a Senior rating?

Eclipse

Quote from: capmaj on May 25, 2013, 03:13:06 AM
That's the point I was trying to make. Several units of over 100 Seniors only really support a couple of dozen (or less) cadets, yet the same weight is given to the CC as is the Deputy.

And another problem area is that many Wings no longer support Groups. That means that someone in the Command track has no realistic chance of progressing to the Senior level.  The next level for that person would have to be either as a Wing CC or Wing Vice. 99.999% of CAP members will never be in that position. So how does one than get a Senior rating?

I would suggest spending some time with CAPP 222

Senior level requires:  "3 years command and staff experience at any level within a wing or region."

The service requirements indicate time, not echelon.  A unit commander or staff service at the unit, wing, or region would fill this requirement.
(This also reminds me again I need to submit this to the Wing CC for my Master)

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

I just reviewed the total command and staff requirements:

Tech - 1 year staff, any level (CDC / CDS preferred but not required).

Senior - 1 Year of command, + 3 years of command and staff (any level, doesn't say if this = "4" or "3" total)

Master - 3 years total experience as a commander (can be 2CC & 1 CDC), any level and echelons can be combined.

Honestly, this could be interpreted as 5 years or 3 years of work, but since the total membership time only needs to be 4 years, and you can make tech
in 2, I would lean towards the intention being 3 years as a unit commander would suffice.  For the average fully engaged and progressing CAP member
who accepts the mantle of command, this is not going to really be a big deal, and whether the wing has groups, or the member ever aspires to
wing CC has no bearing on being able to attain the master level.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

A reminder that my original post deals with the Jump Start program oddities, not the requirements of a new entry into the Command track itself. I've attached the exact wording of the form from the 222 pamphlet. Note the requirements for the Senior  and Master rating. They differ from the requirements that folks are quoting.

Current and previous commanders have a single opportunity to "jump-start" their progression through the Command specialty track based on the qualifications listed below:
• Technician Rating: Member has successfully served at least 1 year as a squadron commander or squadron deputy commander prior to 30 April 2013.
• Senior Rating: If the member has successfully served at least 1 year as a squadron commander or squadron deputy commander AND at least 1 year as a unit commander or vice commander above the squadron level, prior to 30 April 2013.• Master Rating: If the member have successfully served at least 5 years as a commander or vice commander (with a minimum of 3 years as commander) at any echelon above squadron level (service may be combined between echelons), prior to 30 April 2013.

Eclipse

Fair enough, but you moved from jump start to an assertion that in wings without groups...

Quote from: capmaj on May 25, 2013, 03:13:06 AM...That means that someone in the Command track has no realistic chance of progressing to the Senior level.  The next level for that person would have to be either as a Wing CC or Wing Vice. 99.999% of CAP members will never be in that position. So how does one than get a Senior rating?

...which isn't entirely true. The number may be more limited for wings without groups, but in those cases there are going to be members who went to wing or region VC.

I see your point that in wings without groups, the numbers who can jumpstart to Senior will be more limited then in those that have them, but even in wings with groups, the number
of people jump starting past tech is going to be fairly small, and those who can jumpstart to master very small.  I'd say that's by design, since the whole idea here is to recognize the
experience of the service towards the rating.

It's not like this is going to halt the progression of anyone, since most members 4+ years in on command tracks will have their Senior / Master already covered.

I also don't think you should get bogged down in whether a given CC / CDC / CDS is "equal", as I know plenty of all that alphabet that have held the job for years and done nothing, while
I know just as many, or more, not appointed as such doing all the real work of the unit.

The other part of this, frankly, is that the more easily you can document your jumpstart to Senior or Master, the less inclined you probably are to care all that much about it.

So bottom line, in wings without groups, the number of members who can jumpstart to Senior will be very small, but there's no limit to who can get it on a normal progression.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Hmm, wonder if I could pull out my 10+ year old squadron CC time to get a new rating just for the heck of it.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"