Cadet Uniform Program delays

Started by Maj. Joe Mora, March 26, 2013, 12:41:18 PM

Maj. Joe Mora

Does anybody know an "official" reason the uniform requests have not been filled? I don't mean conjecture, I can do that on my own. but has there been any communication from USAF on why the requests have gone unfilled? I have some requests that are now three months old, and have parental complaints.
Commander
089th MacDill Aviation Cadet Squadron
Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
8104 Condor Street, BLDG 38
Mac Dill AFB, FL 33621

Майор Хаткевич

There's a sequester amongst typical budgetary issues...

Abby.L

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 26, 2013, 12:56:51 PM
There's a sequester amongst typical budgetary issues...

I was about to say... This would be the main problem that I can see....

If you guys need some uniforms, why not check your squadron's supply closet, if you have one? If not, I'm sure many squadrons are willing to check out uniform items to other squadron. If worse comes to worse, a few of the "Better off, but still hurting" cadets may have to just buy a set. Might be able to work something out with the vendor, on that note.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Bakchos215

This is a problem that has gone on for a lot longer than the current budgeting crisis.  All the uniform requests go to AAFES in San Antonio.  The same place where every basic trainee gets there uniforms.  The AF needs have and always will come first.  We get what's left over.  If you have an AF base nearby you could go to the Airman's attic (kind of a thrift shop for Airmen, most bases have them) and ask if they have any uniforms they would like to donate.  Usually they have no problems with letting a few go.  If not try communicating with a squadron close to one and see if they can be a go between.  You can never go wrong to ask.

Keith

PHall

Quote from: Bakchos215 on March 30, 2013, 04:09:13 AM
This is a problem that has gone on for a lot longer than the current budgeting crisis.  All the uniform requests go to AAFES in San Antonio.  The same place where every basic trainee gets there uniforms.  The AF needs have and always will come first.  We get what's left over.  If you have an AF base nearby you could go to the Airman's attic (kind of a thrift shop for Airmen, most bases have them) and ask if they have any uniforms they would like to donate.  Usually they have no problems with letting a few go.  If not try communicating with a squadron close to one and see if they can be a go between.  You can never go wrong to ask.

Keith

Not all bases, especially Air Guard and Reserve Bases, have an Airman's Attic or Thrift Shop.

SamFranklin

Quote from: Bakchos215 on March 30, 2013, 04:09:13 AM
This is a problem that has gone on for a lot longer than the current budgeting crisis.  All the uniform requests go to AAFES in San Antonio....

Keith

The problem is that due to sequestration's impact still not being known to the CAP budget people, CAP doesn't know if it can afford to purchase the uniforms from AAFES. The AF / AAFES doesn't just "give" uniforms to CAP, it's not a "here's what's left over" arrangement. CAP uses its funding to buy the uniforms. There's a line item in the finance report showing this.

ProdigalJim

And, further to Sam's point, there's a line in the new April "Vector" saying they'll resume shipping uniforms when there is more clarity on how CAP's appropriation, which passed as part of HR933, will actually fund.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...