Chapter 7 Drill test open book?

Started by C/CMSgt Darkstar, March 21, 2013, 07:19:24 PM

C/CMSgt Darkstar

Is the written part of the chapter 7 drill test open book or closed book? I can't find anything in any regulation about this.

Huey Driver

You have the task page, but all of the elements of the both problems' solutions must be memorized.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

C/CMSgt Darkstar

Quote the reg please. I took the test, and when I did it, I did it closed book. But another cadet would like to take it open book. I actually can't find anything that says that any drill tests have to be taken closed book.

Pylon

Here's the full test booklet, readily published by National Headquarters:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPT_782_Drill_Test_FINAL_0D0A619D59581.pdf

It includes the Achievement 7 drill test problems and solutions.

The book says on page 1:
QuoteTest Security.There is no need for this test booklet to be secured. Because these are performance tests and the subject matter is known to the cadets, there is essentially no advantage to cadets who happen to see the test booklet in advance.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

Sir, 

That achievement should be done closed book as it asks for it to be drawn out for part one and the part two requires positioning.  If the cadet uses the book he/she can achieve a perfect score and that is the only achievement with an answer key.  If every cadet uses the book for it then every cadet gets a perfect score what else is there really to rate against?  The only cadet tests I am aware of that are open book is the Learn to Lead curriculum whether it is online or hard copy.

lordmonar

Quote from: C/CMSgt Darkstar on March 22, 2013, 12:30:48 AM
Quote the reg please. I took the test, and when I did it, I did it closed book. But another cadet would like to take it open book. I actually can't find anything that says that any drill tests have to be taken closed book.
It being a performance test (even if you do it on paper) it is considered closed book.  Either way....why are you in the decision loop for this.  Another cadet wants to take it open book....he asks his Testing Officer........who should follow it up.   Not you.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Sounds like a "that's not fair, I should have been able to do it, if he can.. " type argument. :)

OTOH, by the very nature, it is a test. It's pretty much implied that a performance test is a demonstation of ability. Stopping to look at the reference sheet between each command while being drilled would be a bit over the top. So would copying a chart from one paper to another.

Read the test, what does it say? The amount of flights does not matter, the band does not matter. What's important are the areas being scored for points. The positions, the pace counts, and such.

Again, copying from one chart to a blank paper shows what?

I hand the cadets a blank sheet of paper when they do that one. They bring it back with the information written on it. I look for specific stuff, if they miss enough, I tell them next week is another day, or come to Saturday color guard practice.

Patterson

Quote from: a2capt on March 22, 2013, 02:46:37 AM
Again, copying from one chart to a blank paper shows what?

I hand the cadets a blank sheet of paper when they do that one. They bring it back with the information written on it. I look for specific stuff, if they miss enough, I tell them next week is another day, or come to Saturday color guard practice.

The concept of memorization and diagraming something already answered by the very test the Cadet is required to take is nonsensical.  If we truly want to dump drill chart memorization requirements onto Cadets we should require the Cadet to draw each position symbol used in the D&C manual.  The average Cadet will not be required to place multiple flights, Squadrons, Groups or Wings online and carry out a parade.

The real world requires individuals who know where to go to find solutions to problems.  I want Cadets that have a familiarity with the Drill Manual, can quickly lookup information in said resource and understand how to execute the correct drill procedure simply by reading the steps associated with said procedure in question!  What does that mean?  It means we should focus more efforts and concentration on the basic movements, correct commands and execution of simple drill, not the ability to draw a diagram from memory!!

Face it, with technology today there is no reason a quick check of the D&C manual digitally replaces the necessity to memorize a diagram that may not even be relevant for many of our Cadets!

How about instead of asking cadets to draw and label, we simply ask them; "what is the CAP Publication number of your Drill and Ceremonies Manual?"  I bet we would be surprised how many of our Cadets do not know the answer...

SamFranklin

If I were a cadet getting reading for the achievement 7 and 8 drill tests, or any drill tests for that matter, here's what I'd do: 

1)  I'd read the actual test materials -- they're not secret.

2)  I'd download the drill manual and read through the relevant sections to educate myself about the right way to do things.

3)  I'd "practice" the test on my own at home, either with pencil and paper or orally or by marching little brothers and sisters around or whatever worked for me. Dogs are harder to manage; cats are impossible.

4)  If I were still unsure of things, I'd ask my flight commander or leadership officer or the go-to person for drill in my unit to help me

5)  On testing night at my squadron, I'd be ready to go, confident and well-prepared.

6)  After passing and getting promoted and all that, I'd tell the cadets coming up behind me that this is a good way to prepare for drill tests, and if needed, I'd help them out.

====

Is this "training to the test"?  Yes. Is that a "bad" thing? No. This is simply a straightforward drill performance test. (Teaching to the test is "bad" in real academic subjects because it's an absorb - regurgitate - and flush system instead of being a knowing - then understanding - then synthesizing system. In drill, no one has to memorize complex formations... that's why there are manuals.)

C/CMSgt Darkstar

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer.

What I was hoping to get out of this thread was a concrete reference I could use that said whether or not the test is closed book. I did not get that, so either it doesn't exist, or it is impossible to find. So I'll have to explain to this cadet why it would not make sense for the test to be open book, and encourage them to take it closed book, but if this cadet asks, "Where does CAP say it has to be done closed book?" I'd have to answer that it doesn't.

So it would be wrong to force the cadet to take it closed book, right?

SarDragon

Quote from: C/CMSgt Darkstar on April 01, 2013, 07:44:34 PM

What I was hoping to get out of this thread was a concrete reference I could use that said whether or not the test is closed book. I did not get that, so either it doesn't exist, or it is impossible to find. So I'll have to explain to this cadet why it would not make sense for the test to be open book, and encourage them to take it closed book, but if this cadet asks, "Where does CAP say it has to be done closed book?" I'd have to answer that it doesn't.

It should be closed book. The cadet being tested is expected to know the answer, and not just how to look it up. This ain't rocket surgery.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/CMSgt Darkstar

Quote from: SarDragon on April 01, 2013, 08:02:16 PM

It should be closed book. The cadet being tested is expected to know the answer, and not just how to look it up. This ain't rocket surgery.

I must not have explained my question enough. What I meant to ask was: So it would be o.k. to encourage the cadet to take it closed book, but wrong to force the cadet to take it closed book (example: "You have to take it closed book, or else it doesn't count") because there is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, as of yet, that says drill tests must be taken closed book. Is there anything wrong with this?

lordmonar

No.....just the opposite.  By defalt all tests are closed book unless other wise stated.
Either way......it is not withing your job discription as  C/CMsgt to have anything to do with testing...except to assist the test control officer.  It is his job to tell the cadet that it is closed or open book.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

NOTHING except common sense.

CAPM 39-1 does not say to tie your shoes, fasten your belt, etc. either.

Look at the text of the test. You are given a scenario, and you need to draw it.

Look at the title of the test. "Drill and Ceremonies Practical Test". How ludicrous ..

What are they going to do, file an IG complaint? Cry? Pout?

What is the intent of the test? To show the cadet understands the formation, or to show that the cadet understands how to copy a diagram?

The testing officer is not forcing anything.  They don't have to take the test, they don't have to advance in the program either.

I've actually not had a cadet fail that test that I can recall. On the second part, I give them the option of using cadets to demonstrate it to me, or to draw the moves/explain what is going on. None have failed it. By the time they get that far, they know whats going on. Maybe it's because we have an opening formation for each meeting, and the cadets use their drill knowledge at each meeting. 

If you've got a cadet that is whining about this, challenging this, etc., there's something more going on here. Seriously.

Have the testing officer hand them the first page, and tell them to use the back of the page to draw the scenario.  That's who should be doing it anyway, and the final authority on the matter.