New Style Service Jacket for cadets

Started by bigdawg, February 13, 2013, 05:15:44 PM

bigdawg

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

I need something clarified. Can someone confirm that cadets in phases I & II should wear/purchase the new USAF enlisted service jacket. and that cadets in phases III & IV must wear/purchase the new USAF officers service jacket or do all cadets wear/purchase the USAF enlisted jacket (adding the shoulder boards for phases III & IV). CAPM-39-1 does not specifies the difference between phases but it does show a pic of a phase II cadet wearing the USAF enlisted service jacket. Thank you in advance.

Eclipse

There is no specification.

Cadets in any phase may wear either jacket in either enlisted or officer (w/epaulets) flavor.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Well considering the fact that service coats aren't cheap, I would advise getting the one with epaulets, that way once you do make cadet officer - provided you can still wear it owing to size - then you don't have to go through the mess of getting another one or getting that one altered to accomodate the shoulder boards.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Pylon

Quote from: Brad on February 13, 2013, 10:40:34 PM
Well considering the fact that service coats aren't cheap, I would advise getting the one with epaulets, that way once you do make cadet officer - provided you can still wear it owing to size - then you don't have to go through the mess of getting another one or getting that one altered to accomodate the shoulder boards.

The shoulder boards can be accommodated on the enlisted jacket in much the same way they've been rigged onto jackets for ages: velcro.  Nothing says cadet officers have to have the officer jacket.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eeyore

^ Pylon hit the post button faster than I did...

Shoulder boards attach very nicely to the enlisted style jacket via a sewn on velcro strip. I actually think that they lay on the shoulder better than they do on the epaulets.

Abby.L

Quote from: Eeyore on February 13, 2013, 10:44:25 PM

Shoulder boards attach very nicely to the enlisted style jacket via a sewn on velcro strip. I actually think that they lay on the shoulder better than they do on the epaulets.

They do fit nicely with the enlisted jacket, but are rather awkward if you were to wear a shoulder cord. I mean, you could do it, it's just kinda an eyesore. That's why I'm going to transfer epaulets from my officer jacket(Fits me horribly, hasn't been drycleaned in ages) onto my enlisted jacket(Fits fantastically).

But other than the shoulder cord thing, the only major thing is the difficulty of sewing the velcro on. Those padded shoulders are really thick.  :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Quote from: Levi Lockling on February 13, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

They do fit nicely with the enlisted jacket, but are rather awkward if you were to wear a shoulder cord. I mean, you could do it, it's just kinda an eyesore. That's why I'm going to transfer epaulets from my officer jacket(Fits me horribly, hasn't been drycleaned in ages) onto my enlisted jacket(Fits fantastically).

But other than the shoulder cord thing, the only major thing is the difficulty of sewing the velcro on. Those padded shoulders are really thick.  :P

Before you start cutting that jacket.  How close in color are the two jackets?
Depending on things like age difference and different suppliers, there could be a noticable difference in color between the two jackets.

Abby.L

Quote from: PHall on February 14, 2013, 01:04:16 AM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on February 13, 2013, 11:16:19 PM

Before you start cutting that jacket.  How close in color are the two jackets?
Depending on things like age difference and different suppliers, there could be a noticable difference in color between the two jackets.
They're pretty close. Even then, though, my shoulder boards would cover most, if not all, of the epaulet. I'd be using the epaulets purely as a functional item.  :D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Honestly, it'll be cheaper and look better if you just have the tailor put on velcro.

A good epaulet-transplant can be fine, but a botched one can ruin the jacket.

"That Others May Zoom"