Main Menu

Staff or not staff

Started by Seasoned Nebraskan, January 18, 2013, 02:14:10 AM

Seasoned Nebraskan

I went to the nebraska wing encampment last year as my first encampment but now i would like to go to the same one for 2013. During the last one i was sick and didnt get to do much so i want to enjoy it as a non-staff member again. The other side is that I would like to experience encampment as a staff member. I have till April to register for staff.

Extremepredjudice

See if there is an ATS you can register for
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

Nothing wrong with going to encampment as a basic again. I wouldn't do it, and opt for the "Advanced" course (if they have it), but there's nothing wrong with going as a basic.

PA Guy

One thing to remember. Cadets applying for the first time have priority on available slots so that might be a problem if space is an issue. If your encampment offers an Advanced Training Flight that might be an option. I'm not sure why anyone would want to be a basic 2 yrs in a row but that is your call. Attending as a basic again would advance your training how? Would you learn anything new?

DJN245

Why not try staff? Nothing helps you learn more, and remember more, than teaching a subject, ie: drill. Also RCLS is something to think about, in PA wing RCLS is held every other year at the same time as encampment, I don't know if it is a possibility for you but if it is, it is the next logical step, as it is required for you to earn C/Lt.Col, and you may not have that opportunity in the future. I know at least 2 C/Majors who are being held back from the next step because of their RCLS and the fact that they can not attend this year because of work or school. If one is not available in your wing, try for another one that is still in your region. I'm not trying to say that basic encampment is a bad thing, just what are you going to get out of doing it twice?

Cool Mace

Quote from: DJN245 on January 18, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
I know at least 2 C/Majors who are being held back from the next step because of their RCLS and the fact that they can not attend this year because of work or school.

::SIDE NOTE::

If they can not attend COS or RCLS, HQ came out with this to help. http://capmembers.com/media/cms/COS_Distance_Learning_Option_552C5794F2E82.pdf
It's a lot of work, but no more than they would do at COS

I ended up doing the ECI-113 before they did away with it since I wasn't able to go to either of the activities.
I think this is a great option for the cadets that are unable to attend.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

DJN245

Quote from: Cool Mace on January 18, 2013, 09:19:30 PM
Quote from: DJN245 on January 18, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
I know at least 2 C/Majors who are being held back from the next step because of their RCLS and the fact that they can not attend this year because of work or school.

::SIDE NOTE::

If they can not attend COS or RCLS, HQ came out with this to help. http://capmembers.com/media/cms/COS_Distance_Learning_Option_552C5794F2E82.pdf
It's a lot of work, but no more than they would do at COS

I ended up doing the ECI-113 before they did away with it since I wasn't able to go to either of the activities.
I think this is a great option for the cadets that are unable to attend.
Wow, thanks a lot, I just talked to one of them, and this is definitely a viable option for him, and he should be able to get his Eaker because of this, it the only thing holding him back.

Cool Mace

But of course!

I wish him the best as a Eakeren myself. Now for him to get his Spaatz!
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Eclipse

What cadets, and young people in general, need to be reminded:

You are only a child / adolescent / cadet / etc., once in your life, with benefits and opportunities that are fleeting.
At various times you will be presented with opportunities which will offer new challenges and growth, but
which close the door on the previous chapter, and while they say "opportunity knocks only once", in a cyclical organization
like CAP, that's generally not the case.

Specific to this situation, you have to weight the advantages of moving from a learner to a mentor, because while cadets
routinely go to more then one encampment as basics students, rarely, if ever, are they going to return to the ranks
after being on staff part of the cadre.

If you don't feel you really got what you should from being a student, then perhaps another year in ranks is they way to go.
Otherwise, consider you experiences, close that door and move to the next chapter.

"That Others May Zoom"

Seasoned Nebraskan

alright thank you for the help i think i am going to do staff. Now thinking back i should have found out how to lock a topic before i put it up.

Extremepredjudice

Only mods or admins can lock.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

MSG Mac

Apply as a Flight Sergeant or Support Staff.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member