Main Menu

Grisoft Anti-Virus

Started by Eclipse, January 10, 2013, 05:52:15 PM

Eclipse

I just noticed on eServices that the CAP AVG license keys were updated.

How many use it?   For quite some time it was my preferred client in both the generously-donated pro version for CAP use
and the free version for most other machines I support, but I found in the last year or so the client was getting very heavy,
and so I've swapped-over to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Frankly, between decent firewalls, a secure(d) browser, and not being involved in social media, I don't really have much need
for an anti-virus app, anyway - I've gone months to a year or more having turned it off and never remembering to turn in back on, but MSE seems light enough that's its unobtrusive.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

I have it on my personal computer, and works well for me.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

My family used it exclusively. Now some machines have Kaspersky.

EMT-83

I use AVG on all my machines. Noticed yesterday that my license had expired on my PC at Wing HQ, need to update.

scooter

I just tried to update mine because it expired and had lots of problem getting it to work. Gave up! :(

vento

Never used that one before. Just a friendly advise, make sure you make a "restore point" in Windows before installing any Antivirus from any vendor. Most of them will leave nasty trails within the registry...

Woodsy

For some reason I'm unable to install the new version from e-services.  Keep getting an error...  Anyone else having a problem?

Tried to copy the key out of the e-services version and download the latest installer from the AVG website but no luck there either, key is unrecognized. 

Al Sayre

I use it on all of my personal computers, and I've spent the last couple days updating the CAP computers with the new versions.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Be sure to delete the old version before you download and install the new version, and you shouldn't have any problems.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 12, 2013, 07:33:16 PM
I use it on all of my personal computers, and I've spent the last couple days updating the CAP computers with the new versions.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Be sure to delete the old version before you download and install the new version, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Yes, I've seen it leave behind old versions, especially on  a major revision.

"That Others May Zoom"

sparks

I just spent 2 hours updating the 3 squadron computers to AVG 2013. It is not user friendly and frankly is a pain in the ###. NHQ needs to consider a different free software company or reimburse us for aometing that actually works. I pay for a different company to provide the service to my PC at home, not this C###.

Eclipse

I can't imagine why anyone would pay for an anti-virus product.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

1. Log into eServices, highlight and copy license key
2. Open AVG, click on Renew
3. Paste license key and click Submit
4. Restart application

jimmydeanno

I use it. 

Updating it took all of 15 seconds.

If it's taking hours, you're doing it wrong.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NIN

Quote from: sparks on January 12, 2013, 10:35:18 PM
I just spent 2 hours updating the 3 squadron computers to AVG 2013. It is not user friendly and frankly is a pain in the ###. NHQ needs to consider a different free software company or reimburse us for aometing that actually works. I pay for a different company to provide the service to my PC at home, not this C###.

You're doing something wrong.  Seriously. I've used AVG, both free & paid, for years now. I've never had to commit more than a few minutes to a machine for any kind of update.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

If you need something else, Microsoft Security Essentials gets high marks in my book.

Though, I think that the frequency with which you get nasties is largely behavior based. I can't even remember the last time I got malware, while the "not computer people" my company supports seem to get that crap on almost a daily basis.

N7MOG

Goofy as it is, I updated two computers w/o any problems. My Gateway(ACER) laptop was a real stinker and too no less than 13 tries!  Oh yes, it is done...I do know what success feels like!
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.