Overweight CAP members in AF-style uniforms poll

Started by RiverAux, January 03, 2013, 05:44:16 AM

How often do you see CAP senior members wearing AF style uniforms that appear to be out of the height/weight standards?

At less than 10% of CAP events that I attend
24 (23.5%)
At 10-25% of CAP events that I attend
21 (20.6%)
At 26-50% of CAP events that I attend
18 (17.6%)
At 51-75% of CAP events that I attend
17 (16.7%)
At 76-90% of CAP events that I attend
11 (10.8%)
At 91-100% of CAP events that I attend
11 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Blues Brother

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 14, 2013, 10:30:45 PM
OK, So should CAP Change the Regs to follow that of the CG Aux? So it looks like the Poll shows 0-50% of people see overweight members in AF Blues. So what does that say about the Organization.
It says that the fast food restaurants are doing good business.

Devil Doc

Hey Fast Food does not make you fat. It what you eat there that makes you fat, plus lack of exercise. Although there is some that cannot exercise due to physical disabilites or meds they take.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

tarheel gumby

Before people get too wound up over this I would like to point out that I have seen a fair number of Active Duty AF that appear to be out ot the standards from an E-3 all the way up to a O-5. And I have seen them within the last 12 months.  I have in the last year and a half lost about 100lbs, I now meet the H/W standards. Should I be punished because I don't have a flat stomach?
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Eclipse

Quote from: tarheel gumby on January 15, 2013, 12:24:13 AM
Before people get too wound up over this I would like to point out that I have seen a fair number of Active Duty AF that appear to be out ot the standards from an E-3 all the way up to a O-5. And I have seen them within the last 12 months.

And if they don't fix the situation, they won't likely be in the USAF this time next year.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: tarheel gumby on January 15, 2013, 12:24:13 AM
Before people get too wound up over this I would like to point out that I have seen a fair number of Active Duty AF that appear to be out ot the standards from an E-3 all the way up to a O-5. And I have seen them within the last 12 months.  I have in the last year and a half lost about 100lbs, I now meet the H/W standards. Should I be punished because I don't have a flat stomach?

There is no H/W standard for any AF component with the exception of entry.  If they have PT failures in two years they are gone or gone before hand with the CC's say so. 

Eclipse

Technically that's correct, but there are also "not to exceed" measurements which are part of PT and have ended more then a few careers
early. That's pretty much the same thing as H/W.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2013, 01:14:53 AM
Technically that's correct, but there are also "not to exceed" measurements which are part of PT and have ended more then a few careers
early. That's pretty much the same thing as H/W.

There is no technically about it, that is how it is. You have four consecutive failures in two years and your gone, not showing improvement and your CC can bounce you plain and simple. There is a max waist size but there are no H/W standards at all once you have entered.     

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 15, 2013, 01:53:58 AM
There is no technically about it, that is how it is. You have four consecutive failures in two years and your gone, not showing improvement and your CC can bounce you plain and simple. There is a max waist size but there are no H/W standards at all once you have entered.   

What kind of discharge would that be?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 15, 2013, 05:23:39 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on January 15, 2013, 01:53:58 AM

What kind of discharge would that be?

Usually a General under Honorable Conditions because your being bounced for "Failure to Maintain Standards".

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Ned on January 14, 2013, 07:12:43 PM
You (and others) have said this a few times, and I find myself wondering why.  It doesn't seem particularly fair or accurate.

I don't think it would be as noticeable if the aviator shirt weren't white...again, monochromatic.

The only fairly recent grey-related changes are from over 10 years ago when the aviator combination was created.  And again, it was a large step forward for our larger members because it allowed them to wear their earned CAP decorations and devices. 

Which I do think was a great thing to do.  I knew many colleagues who lamented the fact that they couldn't wear awards earned on anything and that they were just relegated to "shadow box" displays.  I think it would have been even better, though, had the white shirt been swopped out at minimum cost for a blue (yes, I said blue), khaki, or dark-blue (police style):

As well, moving toward a civilian, airline-modelled blazer configuration (and hat of some kind even if it's only optional), with CAP devices worn, would have been a definite plus.

If that were remotely true, I suspect the CSU would have been grey. 

The entire intent of the CSU was to give the members who couldn't wear the AF uniform to have something similar, yet different.  I wonder how the CSU would have been accepted had it not used any AF items, and been more of a blue-grey (happy medium?) shade, like the RAF (the world's first independent air force, who originated the term "Air Force Blue"), or the modern Deutsche Bundesluftwaffe, but using the same cut as the CSU:

Or we would have had a grey field uniform. 

I am frankly surprised we don't, given the ready availability of grey BDU/tactical kit.

Or a grey corporate flight suit.

Outside of the German Bundesluftwaffe, I've never seen such a flight suit, and even that is more grey-greenish.

But if you'd like, I could suggest them to the NUC.   ;)

Thank you for your generous offer, sir.  I respectfully decline. ;D

I suppose my entire point is that CAP seems to think that only the status quo, and the colours grey and white, are acceptably, distinctively CAP and any deviation from that is liable to tick off the Air Force.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

PHall

CyBorg, why are you so "all consumed" by the CSU decision? The NEC made a decision. Life moves on.
If this is causing you this much stress then maybe you need to do something other then CAP.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on January 15, 2013, 12:18:18 PM
CyBorg, why are you so "all consumed" by the CSU decision? The NEC made a decision. Life moves on.
If this is causing you this much stress then maybe you need to do something other then CAP.

I am not "all consumed" by the CSU decision, even though I find it illogical and unjustified, especially given we never were told exactly why.

If I were "all consumed," I would be campaigning to bring it back, which would be equally illogical.

I am quite aware that you did not like the CSU.  I am also quite aware that you oppose the colour blue for the extant CAP uniform.  Those are your opinions, you have a right to them, I have a right not to share them.

Really, the only factor that the CSU has in my current thinking was that it was a uniform a lot of people (you were not among them, I know) liked and felt proud to wear.

Conversely, you, I and many others have read less-than-glowing opinions of the current G/W here on CT, even by those who wear it.  "A uniform you can get a bit dirty in," and the like?  I do not call that "pride" in a uniform.

All I'm doing is throwing out ideas, hoping maybe some will hit the wall and stick.  You are not required to agree with me, any more than I am required to agree with you.

It is not "causing me stress" to have an idea or an opinion on the matter.  If anything "causes me stress," it is the attitude of so many in CAP that anything other than the status quo will tick off the Air Force, without even asking them.  Even so, that's way down the stress chain from such things as getting beaten at chess or poker, being unable to find my favourite episode of Married...With Children or (especially) wondering why the promotion package I submitted for Major seems to have got lost in a black hole somewhere (something like that would be much more likely to cause me to weigh options other than CAP).

If you like the status quo, that is entirely your option.

ADDENDUM:

This is me stressed-out:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

johnnyb47

For the record when I called it a uniform "I could get a little dirty in" I was drawing from my experience as an IT guy.
If I'm in a really nice pair of pants and a well pressed shirt I still get told to crawl under a desk and fix a computer.
Show up to work in a 3-piece suit and 'not so much'.

I wear my uniforms proudly. I may not LIKE some of them but I take pride in what they stand for.
If I'm in my G/W comboo, well pressed, well groomed and shoes well polished I believe I'm doing my best to portray the image I'm allowed to.
I know our cadets appreciate it as well.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: johnnyb47 on January 15, 2013, 03:10:47 PM
For the record when I called it a uniform "I could get a little dirty in" I was drawing from my experience as an IT guy.

I understand.  I was in the IT field for many, many years and had to perform tasks just as you describe.

However, I have seen that order of dress worn like it hasn't been laundered in months.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on January 15, 2013, 03:16:01 PMHowever, I have seen that order of dress worn like it hasn't been laundered in months.

Or as if the  term "white" has an ambiguous nature.

Although sadly that's not limited to the G/W's, I've seen far too many adults literally wearing the same shirts they have worn
as cadets pretending the collar hadn't taken on that lovely greenish tinge that an improperly laundered / unserviceable USAF shirt takes on.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 15, 2013, 02:50:51 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 15, 2013, 12:18:18 PM

I am not "all consumed" by the CSU decision, even though I find it illogical and unjustified, especially given we never were told exactly why.

If I were "all consumed," I would be campaigning to bring it back, which would be equally illogical.

I am quite aware that you did not like the CSU.  I am also quite aware that you oppose the colour blue for the extant CAP uniform.  Those are your opinions, you have a right to them, I have a right not to share them.

Really, the only factor that the CSU has in my current thinking was that it was a uniform a lot of people (you were not among them, I know) liked and felt proud to wear.

Conversely, you, I and many others have read less-than-glowing opinions of the current G/W here on CT, even by those who wear it.  "A uniform you can get a bit dirty in," and the like?  I do not call that "pride" in a uniform.

All I'm doing is throwing out ideas, hoping maybe some will hit the wall and stick.  You are not required to agree with me, any more than I am required to agree with you.

It is not "causing me stress" to have an idea or an opinion on the matter.  If anything "causes me stress," it is the attitude of so many in CAP that anything other than the status quo will tick off the Air Force, without even asking them.  Even so, that's way down the stress chain from such things as getting beaten at chess or poker, being unable to find my favourite episode of Married...With Children or (especially) wondering why the promotion package I submitted for Major seems to have got lost in a black hole somewhere (something like that would be much more likely to cause me to weigh options other than CAP).

If you like the status quo, that is entirely your option.

ADDENDUM:

This is me stressed-out:

Dude, you have thrown out so many ideas, that all seem to be the same one, over and ever again, that the EPA has now declared this a Superfund Cleanup Site!

Майор Хаткевич

SARDOC

Now that I know that Ned is checking in on the discussion. 

Is there a process where the membership can appeal to the NUC to bring back the CSU outside of the regular Chain of Command?  I've made the request and as far as I can tell it's gone nowhere.

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.