Overweight CAP members in AF-style uniforms poll

Started by RiverAux, January 03, 2013, 05:44:16 AM

How often do you see CAP senior members wearing AF style uniforms that appear to be out of the height/weight standards?

At less than 10% of CAP events that I attend
24 (23.5%)
At 10-25% of CAP events that I attend
21 (20.6%)
At 26-50% of CAP events that I attend
18 (17.6%)
At 51-75% of CAP events that I attend
17 (16.7%)
At 76-90% of CAP events that I attend
11 (10.8%)
At 91-100% of CAP events that I attend
11 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: phirons on January 14, 2013, 04:31:21 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 14, 2013, 07:15:24 AM
If we just had an authorised, uniform headgear, I'd like the uniform better.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: X 100,000

I know they don't want us mixing AF items (though the sweater is allowed, is it now?), but the G/Ws need headgear at the least, and a service coat in my dreams.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 14, 2013, 04:35:41 PM
I know they don't want us mixing AF items (though the sweater is allowed, is it now?), but the G/Ws need headgear at the least, and a service coat in my dreams.

We already are mixing AF items.  The blue AF tie is prescribed for the G/W.

The blue cardigan (button-up) sweater is authorised for the G/W.  Pullovers of any kind are not.

I agree with you 100000% about the headgear and service coat, but that very idea is a thorn in the flesh of many on CT who don't want to "bother" with a hat, and who like it that any old blue suit jacket will do for a blazer.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Right, forgot the tie as well.

I have no issue with a blue blazer, but if you can't wear the ribbons or grade (pocket protector be [darn]ed), might as well call the long sleeve shirt with the tie your most formal uniform.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 14, 2013, 04:18:47 PM

The activity was said to be G/Ws or Blues ONLY.

While I have no issue with polos for classes, it's always a bit very disappointing to see people not follow the UOD for...whatever.

FTFY
Then those that violated the UOD should have been dismissed from class, or not gotten credit.

I was at a great TLC course this past weekend. There were 11 students and here is the breakdown of both days:

I got something out of the course, and had 3 squadron mates there as students and the Squadron commander as an instructor in day 1.

Great.  next time, volunteer as an instructor.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 14, 2013, 05:07:45 PM

While I have no issue with polos for classes, it's always a bit very disappointing to see people not follow the UOD for...whatever.

FTFY
Then those that violated the UOD should have been dismissed from class, or not gotten credit.

I've yet to see that happen in CAP - ever.

I was at a great TLC course this past weekend. There were 11 students and here is the breakdown of both days:

I got something out of the course, and had 3 squadron mates there as students and the Squadron commander as an instructor in day 1.

Great.  next time, volunteer as an instructor.

All in due time!

Devil Doc

I was wondering cant you Technically wear your ribbons on the Blazer? I mean since it is not a "Military" uniform you can wear Military ribbons, if going to awards banquet or military ball?

I think you can wear the rank on the Blazer, its on the Nametag.

If you wear the Blue Bow Tie, you can wear 1 mini medal. I still think the blazer should have some Metal style ranks, and to wear you ribbons above the Crest. I mean if its not a military unifrom cant NHQ decide how we wear it?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 14, 2013, 05:32:52 PM

FTFY

I've yet to see that happen in CAP - ever.

Show up in a polo to one of mine, and you will.  I make sure that the UOD is published well ahead of time, and the consequences of it not being followed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 14, 2013, 05:42:09 PM
I mean if its not a military uniform cant NHQ decide how we wear it?

No.  All uniform changes must have the approval of the AF.  Hard rank will not pass, at least for the foreseeable future.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Devil Doc

So we are saying that the AF has a Patent on the color blue? Or since we are an AUX to the AF they approve what we wear, regardless on it being military or not?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 14, 2013, 05:45:38 PM
I mean if its not a military uniform cant NHQ decide how we wear it?

No.  All uniform changes must have the approval of the AF.  Hard rank will not pass, at least for the foreseeable future.

Nothing but the status quo will pass, at least for the foreseeable future.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 14, 2013, 05:43:38 PM

Show up in a polo to one of mine, and you will.  I make sure that the UOD is published well ahead of time, and the consequences of it not being followed.

Easy solution - I don't own a Polo.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 14, 2013, 05:48:21 PM
So we are saying that the AF has a Patent on the color blue? Or since we are an AUX to the AF they approve what we wear, regardless on it being military or not?

See:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=16690.140

CAP is too fixated on grey to even consider anything else.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Ya i have responded to that post also. I mean atleast the CSU was something close. It seems like the "Plump" and "Fuzzy" get the shaft again   :o
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

PHall

I was wondering cant you Technically wear your ribbons on the Blazer? I mean since it is not a "Military" uniform you can wear Military ribbons, if going to awards banquet or military ball?

I think you can wear the rank on the Blazer, its on the Nametag.

If you wear the Blue Bow Tie, you can wear 1 mini medal. I still think the blazer should have some Metal style ranks, and to wear you ribbons above the Crest. I mean if its not a military unifrom cant NHQ decide how we wear it?

If you actually RTFM, you will note that you can wear ONE Mini Medal on the blazer while at a formal event.

(CAPM 39-1, Para 4-2a and Fig 4-1, Note 6)

Devil Doc

I know i quoted that you can wear one mini medal. Did i say something different?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Ned

Quote from: CyBorg on January 14, 2013, 05:49:37 PM
CAP is too fixated on grey to even consider anything else.

You (and others) have said this a few times, and I find myself wondering why.  It doesn't seem particularly fair or accurate.

The only grey items in our uniform constellation are the trousers for the blazer and aviator combinations and the shoulder marks and nameplates worn on the USAF-style and aviator uniforms.

And as we discussed earlier, the blazer uniform is something like 50 years old and designed to a) not look like a military uniform, and b) to be easily locally obtainable so that members were not tied to AAFES or Vanguard.

The only fairly recent grey-related changes are from over 10 years ago when the aviator combination was created.  And again, it was a large step forward for our larger members because it allowed them to wear their earned CAP decorations and devices.  Like the blazer, it was specifically designed to be locally obtainable and it complemented the blazer in the sense that as a practical matter, one could wear the blazer over the aviator combo.  Most members (especially the larger members) already had the grey trousers from the blazer uniform.   The leadership was trying to provide a professional uniform for large seniors and hold costs down at the same time. Sort of a "win-win" situation.

Since the aviator combination was created over a decade ago, CAP has not proposed or implemented a single grey colored uniform item. 

It is hard to reconcile the historical record with your assertion that CAP is "too fixated on grey to even consider anything else."  If that were remotely true, I suspect the CSU would have been grey.  Or we would have had a grey field uniform.  Or a grey corporate flight suit.

But we don't.

But if you'd like, I could suggest them to the NUC.   ;)

Devil Doc

I only have a Short Sleeve Aviator, can i wear my Blazer over it? Wear the AF Blue Tie, as long as the blazer dosnt come off you cannot tell right :). I was thinking just to wear a White dress shirt, and blue blazer. Going to go find a Blue AF tie today hopefully. The order the other stuff from the BIG VG.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

RiverAux

Severe thread drift alert!

This thread is only about overweight people wearing AF-style uniforms despite the prohibition on them doing so....

SarDragon

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 14, 2013, 07:03:31 PM
I know i quoted that you can wear one mini medal. Did i say something different?

Nah.

Phil's coffee:time-of-day ratio must be off.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Devil Doc

OK, So should CAP Change the Regs to follow that of the CG Aux? So it looks like the Poll shows 0-50% of people see overweight members in AF Blues. So what does that say about the Organization.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY