Issues with polarized sunglasses and contact lenses?

Started by Eclipse, November 20, 2012, 04:26:37 PM

Eclipse

I've got the typical mid-forties issue of mid-range focus.  Not enough to justify bi-focals, but just enough to be annoying,
especially if much of your life is spent refreshing CAPTalk.

When I wear standard glasses I have no issues, but contact lenses are a different situation, made worse by a slight astigmatism in
the left eye, so my left eye's lense is "detuned" by .25 (referred to as "monvision"), which means that, in theory, my right eye is primarily
for distance, and my left eye for close up, and somewhere your brain figures it out.  This is not the most comfortable situation,
but it normally isn't too big a deal, especially for outdoor activities.  However it's weird to actually feel your eye muscles "work".

Anyway. 

Bright sun seems to cause more strain then I'd normally expect, but the sunglasses seem to make it worse, even with my trusty polarized AOs.

In addition to having issues reading the aircraft displays, my phone, tablet, and my watch, the polarization seems to adversely interact
with the contacts and make it really uncomfortable.

I pulled out the Remington shooting glasses that I wear when I ride, non-polarized, and this does not seem to be an issue.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?  Do contact lenses have polarization or related that would cause a moire-effect?

Between the display issues and the contacts I'm thinking of chucking the AOs, but before this relatively recent problem,
polarized lenses always seemed to make things clearer and more distinct.
(And of course since they are issue eyewear, there's no appearance issues)

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

I suppose It would depend on the brand of contact lenses that you use.

I've been wearing contacts since I was in middle school and have yet to have a problem with them interacting with any sunglasses, even polarized ones.

I don't wear polarized lenses anymore by choice, but that's unrelated to my contacts.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Robert Hartigan

My polarized Raybans are okay for driving and riding but when It comes to flying they are a pain.

First, they don't work with the iPad in portrait mode so approach plates are cut in half in landscape mode.

Second, the glass cockpit can get washed out in bright sun conditions.

And, third they give me a headache after about 45 minutes, I don't know if it is eye strain because of too many polarized surfaces or what?

Take a look at the safety brief from the FAA concerning sunglasses.
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/sunglasses.pdf

I am ordering a RX pair of these and a Bose headset as a Christmas present to myself.
http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/pilot-supplies/flying-eyes-sunglasses
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

huey

I've read somewhere that the USAF only issues non-polarized sunglasses to aircrew!
Correct it if I am wrong! Thanks.