Main Menu

NHQ 996 Squadron

Started by capme, October 03, 2012, 12:36:36 AM

capme

Anyone have the scoop on transferring to the Reserve/Patron NHQ 996 Squadron?  I am getting conflicting stories.  My chain of command is telling me I can not transfer because I don't "qualify".  I am being told BGen Carr has changed the "requirements - must be a Lt Col and have been on NHQ Staff to transfer to 996; however NHQ Personnel Section is telling me anyone can transfer to that squadron.
Joyce A Gaddis, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Does it really make any difference where you're a patron?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

It does if you're concerned about how much in membership dues you pay.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

IIRC Patrons all pay the same.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 03, 2012, 02:43:57 AM

That was my understanding.

On the other hand, the unit has the responsibility to maintain the Patron members' personnel file.
I wouldn't think NHQ would be interested in dealing with that any more then they have to.

I'd guess 996 was intended purely for people who join a Patrons and stay that way - no
files, just an annual donation and send me the magazine.

Otherwise, the member should just stay at their previous unit or at most the wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

General Carr is major general. Not a brigadier general.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2012, 03:21:51 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 03, 2012, 02:43:57 AM

That was my understanding.

On the other hand, the unit has the responsibility to maintain the Patron members' personnel file.
I wouldn't think NHQ would be interested in dealing with that any more then they have to.

I'd guess 996 was intended purely for people who join a Patrons and stay that way - no
files, just an annual donation and send me the magazine.

Otherwise, the member should just stay at their previous unit or at most the wing.
+1
This squadron is for those who wish to join CAP as a Patron member or, former national staff who no longer serve at that level and, don't wish to participate anywhere else.  There is absolutely no reason for an active member who wishes to become a patron to transfer to NHQ-996. I doubt there is even a process to do it.

capme

1 - Please forgive the typo MGen vs BGen

2 - Capmembers.com (http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/member_services/national-patron-membership/) states:

"If you are a current CAP Member -  You can transfer your membership to the National Patron Squadron.  Simply have your commander submit a CAP Form 2A and transfer from your current squadron to charter number NHQ 996.  No extra dues are required and when your renewal is due, you will be charged $35.00.   Current members (not yet expired) who transfer into the National Patron Squadron retain their grade.

If you desire to return to active status at a later date, you can transfer to a local squadron.  If you had no break in service, you will not be required to undergo an additional FBI screening provided they have done so before they transferred to patron status."

3 - Why difference does it make where you are a Patron member?  Personal preference, personal reasons.

4 - CAPR 39-2 paragraph 1-9 states "Members of any of the National Headquarters Membership Units (NHQ000, NHQ007, NHQ999, etc.) are responsible for maintaining their own personnel records while assigned to the headquarters units."

My point is the disparity in information whereas my chain of command is telling me I do not "qualify" however NHQ Personnel section is telling me there are no specific "qualifications".
Joyce A Gaddis, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: capme on October 03, 2012, 12:31:27 PM
My point is the disparity in information whereas my chain of command is telling me I do not "qualify" however NHQ Personnel section is telling me there are no specific "qualifications".

Volunteers only know so much. Once I became a Inspector General and went to other Squadrons and Groups I realize knowledge varies greatly between units. Some are focus on one thing or another.

Good luck