Main Menu

BDU Sleeve Help

Started by AJ Alvarez65, September 23, 2012, 11:41:47 PM

AJ Alvarez65

I tried rolling up the sleeves on my BDU but it dosnt look right or sharp at all. My BDU is the adult size one off of Vanguard but the sleeves are just huge compared to my arms. When I roll them up it dosnt look right and its all baggy. Any help on this?

Critical AOA

Curls.  Start off with a low weight and increase as you gain strength.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Al Sayre

^ the logical progression is ponies, then 12oz, then tall boys, then 32oz'rs.  By the time you get there you'll probably need a new uniform, most likely blue... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AngelWings

Well, what size is it? Small? When folding them, fold the sleeve material an extra time. Make sure they go up higher too, that should help.

MSgt Van

When you're done the cuff has to touch or be within 1" of your forearm with your arm bent at a 90 degree angle. Sometimes rolling it with a narrower cuff will snug it up a little.

MIKE

I pull the sleeve up on my ODUs so that the end of the cuff is at the armpit seam.  It takes three folds to get to the cuff.  I use my thumb to keep the folds more or less uniform.
Mike Johnston

umpirecali

This video was helpful to me.
BDU Sleeve Fold

After a few tries I was able to get it down. A few tips:
Doing this on a flat solid table allows you to easily line up the seams and make neat folds.  If you have skinny arms, make three smaller folds.  If you have larger arms, two larger folds.

When your arms are bent, the cuff shouldn't touch the forearm other wise it will rub and be uncomfortable.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

ol'fido

I stopped trying to roll them up about 7 years ago. 8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on September 25, 2012, 12:00:50 AM

Roger that. I don't let the sun onto my pasty white flesh very much, any more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

And the cuffs should be red so CAP is not mistaken for the military. Oh wait that's RMs line
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2012, 12:03:28 AM

Roger that. I don't let the sun onto my pasty white flesh very much, any more.

+1 on that, roger that.

Майор Хаткевич

WIWAC I was good at rolling sleeves. On you, on me, on the table, where ever.

Now I'm of the mindset that they actually make it hotter than not.

rustyjeeper

the simple fix is to cut the sleeve to short sleeve length and sew the "cuff" back on so it looks proper. Way more confortable in the summertime with added benefit when that "sleeves down" command goes out you can honestly say "they are" >:D
no where did I see that was prohibited in 39-1..... and no I did not look too hard.
If I am going somewhere where I will need sleeves I do not wear that shirt- works for me  8)

abdsp51

Quote from: Tank Commander on September 28, 2012, 12:07:30 AM
the simple fix is to cut the sleeve to short sleeve length and sew the "cuff" back on so it looks proper. Way more confortable in the summertime with added benefit when that "sleeves down" command goes out you can honestly say "they are" >:D
no where did I see that was prohibited in 39-1..... and no I did not look too hard.
If I am going somewhere where I will need sleeves I do not wear that shirt- works for me  8)

Not authorized per 39-1 as follows;

1-5. Uniform Combinations.  Various combinations of CAP uniforms are authorized in order to allow for various climatic conditions, availability of uniforms, etc., but no member is obligated to equip himself/herself with all or even a major part of the combinations described in this publication.  Members will equip themselves with the basic uniform. The minimum basic uniforms for male and female cadets and senior members, which will satisfy most occasions, are listed below.  Members may obtain and wear the additional uniform items authorized in this publication on an optional basis.  Uniform clothing may be altered to improve fit.  However, alterations must not change the intended appearance of garment as designed.  It is the member's personal responsibility to equip himself/herself with a proper uniform.  Commanders may assist if they have the capability, through use of unit funds and/or donations or by acquiring surplus uniforms.  Cadets are required to have the minimum basic uniform.  A commander may require cadets to wear other optional uniform items only if the purchase is voluntary or if the uniform is supplied without expense to the cadet. The omission of a specific item or appearance standard does not automatically permit its wear.

AngelWings

If you choose to shorten the sleeves, make sure it looks like it is folded. You'd be able to, in theory, use the top within regulation because it does not appear to be altered. Otherwise you'll have hell collapse on top of you.

I advise against doing so, however. No matter what you never know when sleeves are going to be useful and it is not worth the hassle of having people get mad at you over it.

umpirecali

I think this was meant to be sarcastic...
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

PHall

Quote from: umpirecali on September 28, 2012, 11:57:04 PM

I think this was meant to be sarcastic...

No, I've seen people do this do a BDU blouse. ::)

AngelWings

It is practical. I don't do it because I have a life, but it is crafty...