Main Menu

Skirt ironing

Started by PilotMan, September 19, 2012, 01:50:08 AM

PilotMan

Anyone have a good resource for proper ironing of a cadet skirt?

Cap'n

I don't think you need to iron your blues skirt. I, as well as many females in my squadron regularly wear skirts, and I have never heard of someone ironing them.

Stonewall

Quote from: Pomegranate on September 19, 2012, 02:00:27 AM
I don't think you need to iron your blues skirt. I, as well as many females in my squadron regularly wear skirts, and I have never heard of someone ironing them.

My wife is an Air Force NCO and she irons her skirt.  It generally doesn't need it if it's dry cleaned and hung up appropriately, but sometimes after wearing it it can get wrinkled pretty good, so a little touch-up never hurts.

Just don't iron any creases into it.  Rotate it around and iron any wrinkles out, that should be about it.
Serving since 1987.

Cap'n

Quote from: Stonewall on September 19, 2012, 02:14:30 AM

My wife is an Air Force NCO and she irons her skirt.  It generally doesn't need it if it's dry cleaned and hung up appropriately, but sometimes after wearing it it can get wrinkled pretty good, so a little touch-up never hurts.

Just don't iron any creases into it.  Rotate it around and iron any wrinkles out, that should be about it.

My apologies, sir. I was thinking more towards creases then just getting wrinkles out.

Like he said, just a bare minimal should be fine. The nice thing about skirts is you just have to get them dry cleaned every so often (depending on how much you wear it) and then you're good for a while. If there's a small wrinkle in it, carefully iron it out as directed above.

manfredvonrichthofen

Be sure to put the iron on the lowest setting you can while still getting the wrinkles out, blues material seems to get shiny when too much heat is ironed into it.

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 19, 2012, 02:55:20 AM
Be sure to put the iron on the lowest setting you can while still getting the wrinkles out, blues material seems to get shiny when too much heat is ironed into it.

Two words:  Pressing Cloth.

jimmydeanno

Stick the pointy end of the ironing board through the middle of the skirt (like the ironing board is your body).  A little steam, and low-moderate heat as you rotate it around will do the trick.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill