Police Chiefs Weigh In On UAS

Started by ProdigalJim, August 20, 2012, 01:27:35 PM

ProdigalJim

The police chiefs have more or less signed on to the same code of ethics advocated by the AUVSI...but I imagine that when the day comes for CAP to start playing in UAS, we'll have to adopt something similar.

http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/27022?c=law_enforcement_first_responders

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Pylon

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 20, 2012, 01:27:35 PM
The police chiefs have more or less signed on to the same code of ethics advocated by the AUVSI...but I imagine that when the day comes for CAP to start playing in UAS, we'll have to adopt something similar.

I guess I don't understand what the actual difference is between unmanned aircraft and manned aircraft performing the same missions that require some sort of new policy or approach?  One can take the same photographs with the same, if not better, resolution cameras on a manned aircraft (and even make the decision to make several passes should you need closer/better/more images) and we don't have any need to allay public concern with our manned aerial photography missions.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

My guess is the financial reality of manned vs. unmanned.

A manned aircraft, including paid crew, is out of the reach of most departments.  Unmanned aircraft, depending on the definition(s), are within reach of
12 year olds, so if nothing else this is an attempt to fix the mindset in advance.

Not that it will make much difference in execution - a private, non-governmental body adopting "guidelines" has no weight of law.  Makes everyone
feel good, means little in court.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 03:05:53 PM

A manned aircraft, including paid crew, is out of the reach of most departments.  Unmanned aircraft, depending on the definition(s), are within reach of
12 year olds, so if nothing else this is an attempt to fix the mindset in advance.

Don't say that TOO loud...I can just see it now. Cadets performing sensitive missions with their XBOXes...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 03:37:56 PM

Don't say that TOO loud...I can just see it now. Cadets performing sensitive missions with their XBOXes...

Too late...
http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

Discover the NEW AR.Drone 2.0. Fly & Record in HD

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Pylon on August 20, 2012, 02:30:32 PM

I guess I don't understand what the actual difference is between unmanned aircraft and manned aircraft performing the same missions that require some sort of new policy or approach?  One can take the same photographs with the same, if not better, resolution cameras on a manned aircraft (and even make the decision to make several passes should you need closer/better/more images) and we don't have any need to allay public concern with our manned aerial photography missions.

I'm in the same boat with you. I have never once heard any outcry, aside from the crazies who cry about everything, about manned police aircraft doing the same thing that these UAVs do. I personally think it's more about the media trying to generate hype, than it is about any actual concern.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

rugger1869

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 03:42:44 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 03:37:56 PM

Too late...
http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

Discover the NEW AR.Drone 2.0. Fly & Record in HD

WANT!

Flying Pig

http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/27022?c=law_enforcement_first_responders

Overall, pretty lame.  Politics.  I spent 4 1/2 hrs watching suspects today from a real aircraft.  Right now most of these UAVs, drones, whatever you want to call them aren't practical for actual "surveillance".  Launch your RC plane so you can look in a backyard you think some suspect ran into.  OK.  Do a surveillance that covers 7-8hrs and several hundred miles, portions of which require you to punch through IFR to a predetermined point.   Yeah, OK Chief Joe, sign your "pledge".  I guess the oath you took however long ago wasn't good enough for the photo op. 
Most of these little department heads who are into these RC planes don't have any idea what it means to have actual aviation assets beyond some volunteers 1974 Cessna 172.  Hey..... go for it if its all you can get a hold of, but its not anything to have press conferences about.